GDT: 11 Dec 2014 - Wild @ Sharks - 9:30PM CT / 5:30AM Suomi - Emergency #stormageddon GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
My issue with this is that it's a big advantage for the team that practices on it every night. You play a lot different if the ice is slow than if it's fast. Angles change, and you have to really almost stop on your zone exits to make sure the puck gets out. My solution is to get all arenas in proper working order so certain teams don't have advantages.

So by that logic, shouldn't it even out when they play here? We're used to the good ice and they're not?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
My issue with this is that it's a big advantage for the team that practices on it every night. You play a lot different if the ice is slow than if it's fast. Angles change, and you have to really almost stop on your zone exits to make sure the puck gets out. My solution is to get all arenas in proper working order so certain teams don't have advantages.
It's not possible to make it so all 30 teams have good ice every game, because there are several factors that can affect it. Warm weather not only affects the ice in the West, but it has even affected us here on several occasions. We're not immune to it. Then consider if a concert or sporting event was taking place within 12-24 hours of a game. Even with the best equipment, the ice can get soft. During our early years, when the arena was new, we still had days with the puck wildly bouncing around like Amanda Bynes out of rehab.

For what it's worth, we have played enough games on good ice this year. And the passing and PP looked just as ugly. :biglaugh:

STPallDAY

Apr 11, 2014
Why does it seem like Granlund could get knocked over from a slight breeze this year? I thought we moved past this

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
From Russo's blog

The one thing the Wild was good at was dumping the puck and watching the aggressive Stalock come out each time to ruin the forecheck. The other thing the Wild was good at was failed passes on one-timers.
:laugh:

Also

The power play setup of the first unit is bizarre. I think it’s supposed to be an umbrella or something, but Mikael Granlund just seems miscast up top and when he got the puck tonight, he was either sending soft passes or … not shooting. Vanek on the second unit turned over three pucks on the power play.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
You can't ever blame it on the ice. Both teams are playing on the same ice.

But the sharks get to practice on that sloppy ice much more often than the wild who are used to much crisper ice.

It's like when people were saying that if it snows in the south people aren't used to it thus they get in more accidents than people do in Minnesota. Being familiar with the crappy conditions in itself is a big advantage.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
since some posters are "sensitive" about me complaining about the refs i will ask a ? how is it both prosser & brodz get a penalty for wrapping up their guy (barely) but on a 2 on 1 parise is wrapped up to the point he cant get off a shot and no call? please explain that if you can. cheers!

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
That game was only on us.

Our complete inability to even get a ****ing shot off on our two on ones AND our ****ing PP, which has now evolved into, possibly, IMO, the worst ****ing PP I have ever seen.

Keumper at least played pretty well. That's about it.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
But the sharks get to practice on that sloppy ice much more often than the wild who are used to much crisper ice.

It's like when people were saying that if it snows in the south people aren't used to it thus they get in more accidents than people do in Minnesota. Being familiar with the crappy conditions in itself is a big advantage.

Sharks don't practice at the arena so your point is moot. You should be a little more concerned with your pp than the ice, tbh.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Pretty garbage game. PP is still a joke, most of the forwards are playing like the don't give a F...zero urgency out of the team except for five minutes left in the game. Coyle looks like garbage, Granlund doesn't look much better, Vanek is a complete disaster.

TJL48

Nov 30, 2011
St. Paul
At least Granlund can catch a pass and stick handle when he has the puck. Coyle looked like a steaming pile of poo. He had a few strong games and got my hopes up but he is back to himself now.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
You can't blame a loss on the ice people. Sharks have what, an awful home record this year. Plenty of teams have won in that building. Wild just suck right now

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pretty garbage game. PP is still a joke, most of the forwards are playing like the don't give a F...zero urgency out of the team except for five minutes left in the game. Coyle looks like garbage, Granlund doesn't look much better, Vanek is a complete disaster.

I'm a Coyle guy, but found last night pretty disheartening. His puck handling is reminiscent of Brodziak at his worst. Speaking of which, Brodz deserved a goal on that post... he hammered that shot, and the goalie wasn't even even close to reacting.

Those "touch" backpasses by Vanek to no one are really infuriating, although i do find that he is skating faster and harder than he did earlier in the year.

I think that Haula is playing OK, or certainly better than he was.

Nino didn't look very good to me last night.

The forwards job is to score. They are not doing their job.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You can't blame a loss on the ice people. Sharks have what, an awful home record this year. Plenty of teams have won in that building. Wild just suck right now

I don't think they suck. I think they are just mediocre, which is the kiss of death in the NHL. If Coyle ends up being a third liner who scores 12 goals, Granlund a bad second/ average third line C, Haula a fourth liner, Nino marginalized... well i weep for this franchise.

Suter and Parise are going to slow down. They are what is keeping this team better than average right now.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
Whatever on the ice I guess. There's better ice in high school rinks around here than what I saw last night. It sucks to watch IMO and IMO the NHL should really work to address it, but like I said whatever. Call it a difference of opinion

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Whatever on the ice I guess. There's better ice in high school rinks around here than what I saw last night. It sucks to watch IMO and IMO the NHL should really work to address it, but like I said whatever. Call it a difference of opinion

I'd genuinely like to know if there even is a good technological solution to an arena in that climate with that many events.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
The only thing I can think of is letting the ice rest for 24 hours after something else is there. Then running the cooling system a tad colder that what is recommended.

I've actually been thinking about stuff like this lately.

I'm wondering just how overcomplicated it would be to somehow get some kind of cooling system to rest on top of the ice when its covered for another event.

Then again, it's probably all the weight on top of the ice that makes it crappy, and not a temperature concern.

Unfortunately, mandating a 24 hour rest period before NHL games would cost arenas a LOT of money, and would force NHL teams in the busiest arenas out, like the Kings and Rangers, and I suspect any NHL team sharing a building with the NBA.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA

Last nights ice wasn't that bad. I've been one to complain about it but from what I saw, it seemed fine (I have row 1 seats, played hockey in highschool and college in Boston, etc). Was it great? No, but probably not a major factor in the wild losing.

Btw, bummed about Coyle. I had/have high hopes for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad