Pre-Game Talk: 11/8/2014 Panthers-Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Calgary (8-5-2) has been playing great and their top-4 is top notch in this league. Going to be a tough game but as long as they don't come out flat like against Philly should be a good one.

Time to end the Jokinen-Barkov experiment for now. I'd rather see Robak on that left wing.

Last edited:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Calgary (8-5-2) has been playing great and their top-4 is top notch in this league. Going to be a tough game but as long as they don't come out flat like against Philly should be a good one.

Time to end the Jokinen-Barkov experiment for now. I'd rather see Robak on that left wing.

Someone said it in the last thread, but what about...
Pirri-Barkov-Grimaldi/Trocheck
Huberdeau-Bjugstad-Hayes

Could be pretty good. It gives Barkov two scorers and creative offensive players and Huberdeau would likely have some space to play with Hayes and Bjugstad creating room.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Things could always be worse. We could be edmonton who has more talented players on offense drafted but can never get it together.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Someone said it in the last thread, but what about...
Pirri-Barkov-Grimaldi/Trocheck

Can wish... the problem IMO with the Jokinen-Barkov-Boyes line is that they all are average speed and none of them are physical. You need a guy like Bergy banging bodies or Grimaldi with his speed to stretch the D more. Right now they can't make anything happen unless the opposing team's D makes a mistake.

I don't know how Pirri would work though. But there's limited options right now unless they decide to do something really radical like put Bjugs on the wing with Barkov (which would be awesome to see tbh)

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Well I hope it was a wake-up call last night. Flames also got beaten pretty handily in Tampa last night too. Need to come out strong and not flat like vs Philly. Interested to see who is skating at practice today and if roster moves are made.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
As far as lines if Pirri isn't ready then I want something like:

Hubey-Barkov-Boyes
Jussi-Bjugs-Hayes
Flash-Tro-Upshall
Thornton-Dmac-Kopy

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I think Tallon needs another prerequisite when it comes to signing FA's: Not made out of fine china.

Hopefully, Bolland isn't injured and wants to join Kilger. :sarcasm:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
D1k9K2R.png

Check out where Philly and Calgary are in the goals department. Both way up there. So, way I see it, one of two things will happen Saturday:

A: We lull Calgary to sleep, play tight hockey, stay outta the box, get our 1 goal and beat them, 1-0 or 2-1, something of that nature.
B: We take penalties, play loose, make mistakes, Calgary's pressure is too much for us and they capitalize on almost everything. We can't score enough to stay in the game, much like last night vs Philly and lose.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
*Goals for rank.*

Check out where Philly and Calgary are in the goals department. Both way up there. So, way I see it, one of two things will happen Saturday:

A: We lull Calgary to sleep, play tight hockey, stay outta the box, get our 1 goal and beat them, 1-0 or 2-1, something of that nature.
B: We take penalties, play loose, make mistakes, Calgary's pressure is too much for us and they capitalize on almost everything. We can't score enough to stay in the game, much like last night vs Philly and lose.

:deadhorse

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
As far as lines if Pirri isn't ready then I want something like:

Hubey-Barkov-Boyes
Jussi-Bjugs-Hayes
Flash-Tro-Upshall
Thornton-Dmac-Kopy

Like that top-6 (injuries considered) and 4th line. Feel bad if Vinny gets stuck with Flash and Upshall but nothing to do about that for now. Robak in for Flash? Lol.

Hubby/Barkov need to use those immense hockey brains and figure out how turn IQ into shots together.

Panthersfan1989

Feb 24, 2013
S. Florida
I think Dale should be looking for anybody to help this offense. What the hell happens when bolland comes back? Pirri gets scratched every night?

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I think Dale should be looking for anybody to help this offense. What the hell happens when bolland comes back? Pirri gets scratched every night?

I think that's why he's starting to shop some older veterans. He knows Flash and Upshall's time is limited and they're no longer necessary and will take time away from a guy like Pirri.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013

If I were Tallin I'd be more concerned to move dead weight and get the top 9 with stable lines. As far as I'm concerned Flash has lost his job and needs to make room for Pirri. Upshall is next closest in that sense since Hayes does all that he does only cheaper and with offensive and PP upside.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
There are likely no trades that can significantly improve our offense. It has to come from within room. Like I've said before, Barkov and Bjugstad are in positions now that are vital to the success of this team. The more they produce more likely we'll win more often. Huberdeau is another guy who needs to get over his illness and get back to work. Put him in a g-d bubble so he doesn't get sick anymore. Lol. The offense has to be generated by the young guys, if not we go nowhere fast. Tallon built this team and now he has to live with it.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I honestly think the goal scoring issue is mental. Tallon, Gallant, Luongo, Jokinen have all at different times recently alluded to the fact that the Panthers are a "scoring by committee" (hate this term) team. A team that will see a lot of 2-1, one goal games. Jokinen even said recently that they aren't a team that's going to score 4 of 5 goals...well why not? I just don't understand this mentality and outlook. Maybe if they didn't go into every game expecting to only score 1 or 2 goals, they'd actually score more than that. It's just so tough to be a fan of this team when you hear things like this on a consistent basis. Then everyone wonders why we don't have success. If they have, as a team, accepted the fact that they'll need to play lights out on the defensive/goaltending end because they can only score 1 goal a game, we're in for a long year.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Since this is a Calgary game thread and we'll be seeing their core of young players for the first time this season, I pose this question:

If you were GM, which group of players would YOU rather have moving forward for your franchise?

Barkov
Bjugstad
Huberdeau
Ekblad
Gudbranson
Kulikov
Olsen
Pirri
Trocheck
Grimaldi

or

Monahan
Colbourne
Gaudreau
Bennett
Backlund
Joonis
Granlund
Ferland
Baertschi
Brodie

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I honestly think the goal scoring issue is mental. Tallon, Gallant, Luongo, Jokinen have all at different times recently alluded to the fact that the Panthers are a "scoring by committee" (hate this term) team. A team that will see a lot of 2-1, one goal games. Jokinen even said recently that they aren't a team that's going to score 4 of 5 goals...well why not? I just don't understand this mentality and outlook. Maybe if they didn't go into every game expecting to only score 1 or 2 goals, they'd actually score more than that. It's just so tough to be a fan of this team when you hear things like this on a consistent basis. Then everyone wonders why we don't have success. If they have, as a team, accepted the fact that they'll need to play lights out on the defensive/goaltending end because they can only score 1 goal a game, we're in for a long year.

The team is 4-3-4. Take a deep breath. Things could be much worse.

There are likely no trades that can significantly improve our offense. It has to come from within room. Like I've said before, Barkov and Bjugstad are in positions now that are vital to the success of this team. The more they produce more likely we'll win more often. Huberdeau is another guy who needs to get over his illness and get back to work. Put him in a g-d bubble so he doesn't get sick anymore. Lol. The offense has to be generated by the young guys, if not we go nowhere fast. Tallon built this team and now he has to live with it.

I agree that the kids need to start putting up numbers, but there's also a trade or two out there that can make this team much better. It's still early in a new system. I doubt this team is going to play dump and chase forever. It seems to me that Gallant wanted to fix the defensive problems first and get guys to buy into his system. He's been playing it safe with the dump and chase, and once he's confident that this team has a solid grasp on the defensive end, the team will open it up on offense. There are a lot of creative and smart offensive players on this team and they'll have their chance to shine after the team shifts its focus to improving offensively.

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Since this is a Calgary game thread and we'll be seeing their core of young players for the first time this season, I pose this question:

If you were GM, which group of players would YOU rather have moving forward for your franchise?

Barkov
Bjugstad
Huberdeau
Ekblad
Gudbranson
Kulikov
Olsen
Pirri
Trocheck
Grimaldi

or

Monahan