GDT: 11/7/13 "Shippin' Up To Boston" - Panthers VS Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
...and you do acknowledge, instead of ignore, that 3 goals have gone in according to the stat sheet.

Correct... I agree with you that you can't blindly look at stats especially in regards to goalies...

Ohh, and look at this gem of a quote from Claude Julien about Tim Thomas: "Well, they're right," Julien answered when presented with the notion that Thomas had a lot to do with the Bruins winning the Cup. "But Tim Thomas doesn't win a Stanley Cup if our team doesn't play as well as it did in front of him. This is an honest statement. Tim played well but I think our team played just as well in front of him."

"You don't win a Stanley Cup just with a goaltender," Julien said. "He won the Conn Smythe because he was very good, but at the same time I would like to hope that statistics of your goaltenders can also reflect the team in front of you. We did a pretty good job in front of him for years, minimizing the goal-scoring chances, the quality of it, so let's make sure we don't take away the credit from the rest of the team, too. He was a big part of it, so were a lot of other guys, but at the same time we won a Stanley Cup because we were a good team. That's what I would like to think, anyways."

http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story...t-credit-tim-thomas-boston-bruins-stanley-cup

I wonder how many odd-man rushes the Bruins allowed opponents... or how many crisp passes to opponents in front of the goalie they completed....

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Insult to injury:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: FLA's Jesse Winchester has 4:30 pm ET telephone disciplinary hearing with NHL for his hit on BOS's Chris Kelly.

Oh on the Panthers and did that to the Bruins? Jesse will get the book thrown at him.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
You guys are funny. Markstrom didn't even play tonight. Also, don't we still have Tim Thomas? He seems to be omitted from all these goal-tending arguments.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the thing that i wanna cry about the most is that we just had to be this terrible this year, not next year for the mcdavid draft, we couldn't just wait one more year. not like it'd surprise me if we were at the bottom next year too...

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Insult to injury:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: FLA's Jesse Winchester has 4:30 pm ET telephone disciplinary hearing with NHL for his hit on BOS's Chris Kelly.

Oh on the Panthers and did that to the Bruins? Jesse will get the book thrown at him.

Seeing there was no injury and Kelly came back it shouldn't get any worse of a punishment then Nash's flying hit to the head on Kopecky. But seeing that Winchester is a 3rd or 4th liner and plays for the Panthers I'll go with 1-3 games.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Not sure if anyone posted this yet.

‏@GeorgeRichards
Looks like #FlaPanthers holding a players only closed door meeting. Seven game winless streak longest since 10 at end of 2010-11
‏@GeorgeRichards
Lot of yelling and cussing inside #FlaPanthers locker room

Good to see that they're upset. They always say the expected things in interviews... "this isn't fun" "we need to give a 60 minute effort" "blah blah blah". There's a little more truth in GR's tweet.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There are 4!!? teams who average less goals per game than the Panthers. That is a crazy stat. How are teams below us??

Ya I was just as surprised as you were CPF but looking at Buffalo's 14 L's, Philly's 10 L's and Edmonton's 11 L's I'm even more upset we let those teams take wins from us.

Tallon will/should be busy this week(end) making calls to see if any teams want any of our players that aren't "untouchables". Like I said before, I think Goc, Weaver, Boyes, Matthias, Kopecky and Kulikov are the main trade bait.

I feel we will have to add picks to get something decent in return with Kulikov or Goc getting us the best acquisition coming our way.

I feel scoring should be the main focus as the defense looks to be making "fewer" mistakes lately. We've only scored more than 2 goals in a game 5 out of 16 games. With our defense still somewhat shaky, we need offense in a big way!!

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
Not sure if anyone posted this yet.

Good to see that they're upset. They always say the expected things in interviews... "this isn't fun" "we need to give a 60 minute effort" "blah blah blah". There's a little more truth in GR's tweet.

I think they've had a few closed door 'heated' meetings this season. I remember GR reporting on at least one other. Doesn't seem like much changes after them.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Sure this team isn't very good, but wait until Winchester gets suspended and we lose his drive and determination, oy.

You can have all the closed door meetings you guys want, Panthers. There's only one way to fix this team right now, and it's trades. You want to do stupid things? Goodbye. You want to show little to no effort? Goodbye.

Also Fleischmann should be at the least demoted a line or two for his defensive idiocy at the end. Does this team understand what team defense is?

Clem actually played a pretty good game, but asking him to stop blatant, terrible scoring chances is just asking to be scored on. He kept them in it for a good while, he can't make them score.

There's very few players giving it their all and being smart out there. I would say Winchester, Weaver, Upshall (which is nice to see, when he isn't taking an idiotic penalty), Barch when he doesn't do something stupid, Bjustad, Matthias, and that might be it. I don't want to even blame the really young guys at this point because if you expect Huberdeau and Barkov to lead this team to victory, it's gonna be a long season. You might as well call up Robak and ask him to QB the #1 powerplay.

The team is weak for the most part, they do not give it their all, and above all they lack the proper talent and wherewithall to shoot the damn puck at any given moment.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
There's very few players giving it their all and being smart out there. I would say Winchester, Weaver, Upshall (which is nice to see, when he isn't taking an idiotic penalty), Barch when he doesn't do something stupid, Bjustad, Matthias, and that might be it.

Jesse Winchester 4-3-7 (16GP)
Scottie Upshall 2-3-5 (13GP)
Shawn Matthias 1-2-3 (16GP)
Nick Bjugstad 1-2-3 (10GP)
Mike Weaver 0-1-1 (16GP)
Krys Barch 0-0-0 (6GP)

Too bad "giving your all" and being "smart" only translates to 8 goals in 77 games.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Mike Weaver 0-1-1 (16GP)
Krys Barch 0-0-0 (6GP)

Too bad "giving your all" and being "smart" only translates to 8 goals in 77 games.

Think you're missing the point. Almost all those guys are lower level guys, 3rd/4th liners and lower pairing D. I do not expect them to carry the offense. They are doing some of the right things on this team. I sure hope you don't expect Mike Weaver to score a goal. And considering where Winchester players, those are fine numbers (don't get me started on Bjustad being a really green rookie coming off a concussion).

The real issue is where are the top line players? Versteeg has been beyond a disappointment. Huberdeau, though I don't want to get on him, has gone cold and Barkov gets a bit more of a pass for being a real young rookie. Flash has been pretty good but again a serious issue in his own zone. Gomez has fallen off the map. Boyes leads the team in goals but doesn't get to play? Don't get me started on the bad D played by Campbell, Gilbert, and at times Gudbranson though he's more solid than the first two.

The guys who should be leading this team, aren't. You can be mad at those guys you mentioned all you want, but when a 15 goal scorer from last year like Kopecky has 0, you gotta ask what the deal is. The problem is at the top, not at the bottom.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Think you're missing the point. Almost all those guys are lower level guys, 3rd/4th liners and lower pairing D. I do not expect them to carry the offense. They are doing some of the right things on this team. I sure hope you don't expect Mike Weaver to score a goal. And considering where Winchester players, those are fine numbers (don't get me started on Bjustad being a really green rookie coming off a concussion).

The real issue is where are the top line players? Versteeg has been beyond a disappointment. Huberdeau, though I don't want to get on him, has gone cold and Barkov gets a bit more of a pass for being a real young rookie. Flash has been pretty good but again a serious issue in his own zone. Gomez has fallen off the map. Boyes leads the team in goals but doesn't get to play? Don't get me started on the bad D played by Campbell, Gilbert, and at times Gudbranson though he's more solid than the first two.

The guys who should be leading this team, aren't. You can be mad at those guys you mentioned all you want, but when a 15 goal scorer from last year like Kopecky has 0, you gotta ask what the deal is. The problem is at the top, not at the bottom.

What's Matthias' excuse again? I must have missed it in there.

GernBlanston

May 20, 2011
Smyrna, GA
Mike Weaver 0-1-1 (16GP)
Krys Barch 0-0-0 (6GP)

Weaver and Barch aren't ever going to score, so that stat is not entirely fair. I get your point, but still. As for Weaver, He might only give us 5-10 points per year, but I think he is the only guy on this team this year that hasn't caused me a face-palm. He's not perfect, and he could be more physical, but he does not make dumb mistakes. I'll be glad to keep him, point totals be damned.

Last edited:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
What's Matthias' excuse again? I must have missed it in there.

Matthias averages 14:06 TOI, not exactly top line minutes. 7 other forwards are getting more average ice time than he is. The reason he excelled last season is because he got to play a bigger role and yes he got hot, no question. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Matthias is not really a top six player, though he may be capable of that in spurts, much like Goc. It's hard to say what's holding him back, whether it's him or his linemates thus far. He has the work ethic and the ability, and he's still a young guy.

It's no surprise to say though, that with half or more of the team playing like crap, scoring chances in general are scarce.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Matthias averages 14:06 TOI, not exactly top line minutes. 7 other forwards are getting more average ice time than he is. The reason he excelled last season is because he got to play a bigger role and yes he got hot, no question. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that Matthias is not really a top six player, though he may be capable of that in spurts, much like Goc. It's hard to say what's holding him back, whether it's him or his linemates thus far. He has the work ethic and the ability, and he's still a young guy.

Don't know about Matthias. He does have speed and plays hard... but he lacks in so many other ways. His shot is not accurate, he has no vision and the only passes he makes in the offensive zone is back to the defenders on the blue line. Here is a typical Matthias play... skate like a demon in the neutral zone, dump the puck in, chase after it and skate around the back of the net, pass it back to the defenders on the blue line...

I am absolutely fine with him being a 4th line center, but putting him on the top two lines would be a mistake IMO. He does not make players around him better, he just skates hard/fast, forechecks, goes to the net occasionally... etc.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Don't know about Matthias. He does have speed and plays hard... but he lacks in so many other ways. His shot is not accurate, he has no vision and the only passes he makes in the offensive zone is back to the defenders on the blue line. Here is a typical Matthias play... skate like a demon in the neutral zone, dump the puck in, chase after it and skate around the back of the net, pass it back to the defenders on the blue line...

I am absolutely fine with him being a 4th line center, but putting him on the top two lines would be a mistake IMO. He does not make players around him better, he just skates hard/fast, forechecks, goes to the net occasionally... etc.

His biggest flaw is lack of vision. He gains entry to the zone but then does nothing with it. Misses the net with a shot, misses passing lanes to open teammates. He's a bottom 6 players, a good PKer. He would be good winger on a line that cycles in the corners.

handbanana

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Mar 18, 2008
Sucks, but ultimately doesn't matter. You could take out the best of the best that we have, and a loss will still be a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad