GDT: 11/7/13 "Shippin' Up To Boston" - Panthers VS Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
So goaltending is absolutely irrelevant then? We would be 3-9-4 with Patrick Roy in net...

of course its relevant, I wish marky has pitched 3 SO's.

fact is tho 11 out of 16 games we have scored 2 goals or less. Thats the primary problem IMHO>

Last edited:

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
I watched Andersson play the other night against the Rangers. That game wasn't a product of team play. He stole two points at Madison Square Garden. It's unfair to label a goalie as someone who's just a product of the team if you haven't watched him play.

Do you think this team's goaltending has been good? Yes or no? Also, is it not important to have good goaltending to win hockey games? Like did you think that the great Boston Bruins played a sound defensive game tonight? Because what I saw was Tuukka Rask make a bunch of big saves for them.

The whole idea of a goalie stealing a game is when a good team has an off nite. He isn't supposed to have to steal you every single game because the rest of your team sucks dick. That isn't how solid contending teams make the playoffs or how they get thru them. Nobody is saying that the goal-tending is where it needs to be, but to say that its a bigger issue than our PP/PK 5 on 5, 4 on 4 and overall effort and team defense is such a stretch.

There's a reason Billy keeps eluding to the fact that 90% of this teams goals come in the third period. They only score when its in garbage time or just overall general desperation to not all lose their jobs and retain some semblance of dignity. The team doesn't show up for the first 40 minutes of the game, therefore forcing the goalie to be unbelievably great which just isn't a realistic way to win games in the NHL.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
You should come around the GDT's more often AG. I'm a little perplexed with how Colorado and Calgary are competing/winning and they were pegged as bottom 5 by most.

I think we can use a trade though. If Flash and a pick has to go then I say do it if a proven #1 goalie, forward or d-man is coming our way.

Barkov and Huberdeau have fallen into a slump and Winchester is leading by example which is scary for the most part.

lol, thanks dude.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Honestly Erick, when everything sucks, Goaltending is the last problem...again- ASK LUNDQVIST.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
of course its relevant, I wish marly has pitched 3 SO's.

fact is tho 11 out of 16 games we have scored 2 goals or less. Thats the primary problem IMHO>

AG the reason i agree with erick that goaltending of all three positions which we need upgrading is the most easily fixable is because it involves making a trade for a single player.

Our offense and defense are so horrendously incompetent that only one of either kuli or guds should remain on defense, and barkov, huby, maybe flash or goc are the only players that deserve a roster on offense.

To fix this team's offense and defense we need multiple talented players not just one. We can fix our goaltending for a long time with one trade. Thomas or Markstrom have proven they are not a long term solution.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
So you think if we brought this guy in http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8475883 that he would still post a .900+ sv %? and a respectable GAA. If that's the case then you win man. Most goaltenders that put up good numbers are a product of the team in front of them, and the ones that are great still need offensive production from their teammates.

Erick does not get it, stop trying to explain it to him its hopeless

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
AG the reason i agree with erick that goaltending of all three positions which we need upgrading is the most easily fixable is because it involves making a trade for a single player.

Our offense and defense are so horrendously incompetent that only one of either kuli or guds should remain on defense, and barkov, huby, maybe flash or goc are the only players that deserve a roster on offense.

To fix this team's offense and defense we need multiple talented players not just one. We can fix our goaltending for a long time with one trade. Thomas or Markstrom have proven they are not a long term solution.

Yes but again, unless we're getting a top 5, NO GOALIE IN THE WORLD WILL SAVE WHAT'S GOING ON, ESPECIALLY THE >>>>>>GOALSCORING.<<<<<<

Erick*

The whole idea of a goalie stealing a game is when a good team has an off nite. He isn't supposed to have to steal you every single game because the rest of your team sucks dick. That isn't how solid contending teams make the playoffs or how they get thru them. Nobody is saying that the goal-tending is where it needs to be, but to say that its a bigger issue than our PP/PK 5 on 5, 4 on 4 and overall effort and team defense is such a stretch.

There's a reason Billy keeps eluding to the fact that 90% of this teams goals come in the third period. They only score when its in garbage time or just overall general desperation to not all lose their jobs and retain some semblance of dignity. The team doesn't show up for the first 40 minutes of the game, therefore forcing the goalie to be unbelievably great which just isn't a realistic way to win games in the NHL.

We're allowing less than 30 shots per game. I think the idea that the goalies have to be unbelievably great for this team to win some games is greatly overstated.

Every team allows scoring chances. Some teams get big saves. This team does not get many at all.

As bad as this team is, their effort on most nights isn't that bad. It just seems that way because the goaltending is terrible. They play alright, they just lack talent. There have been maybe a handful of games where they've left the goalies out to dry and have just not competed. Part of the reason why this team is 3-9-4 is because the goaltending is bad.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Unless were getting a top 5 which we're not*

I dont think a trade or 2 trades for offense or defense will significantly alter the course of this season compared to the acquisition of a dependable goaltender. The season is lost either ways whether we address the defense, offense, or goaltending it really does not matter. We need all 3. Gotta start somewhere.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

So which one do you make worst, offense or defense, to upgrade goaltending?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Markstrom has NOT proven he's not a long term solution, he hasn't a fair shot yet. Any time he's gotten hot, he's been sent down or injured...and of course left out to dry every other instance.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Harvey Fialkov @hfialkov
versteegs Ok, players only meeting lots of yelling. tallon is fuming and promises to fix tihngs"everyone wil be evaluated,'' including coach

Erick*

Honestly Erick, when everything sucks, Goaltending is the last problem...again- ASK LUNDQVIST.

Is Lundqvist 3-9-4 this year? Am I missing something? His stats look pretty good to me. Maybe Markstrom can be as good as his left pinky toe one day.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
So which one do you make worst, offense or defense, to upgrade goaltending?

defense i have been a big proponent of trading either kuli or guds for a while now. I think the reason why we are giving up a lot of goals because our defense has no faith in our goaltending. The defense plays better when we have a goalie we can rely on.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think this might be the year we trade our #1 for a proven veteran that is signed to a lengthy deal. I can't imagine having to take yet another young kid now. What year are we at in the blueprint? Can't expect this is the way its supposed to go. You mean 11-12 we should've been last too? Cmon.

If the right deal is there, sure. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with taking another stud prospect. The right value has to be there for a trade. I wouldn't want anyone over 30.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Is Lundqvist 3-9-4 this year? Am I missing something? His stats look pretty good to me. Maybe Markstrom can be as good as his left pinky toe one day.

Yeah, apparently ya missed the first two weeks of the year where everyone was questioning whether or not Hank lost his way.

Nobody looks as good as The King's left pinky toe. Unless they play Florida.

Erick*

Markstrom has NOT proven he's not a long term solution, he hasn't a fair shot yet. Any time he's gotten hot, he's been sent down or injured...and of course left out to dry every other instance.

He's 11-24-5 with a 3.16 GAA, .899 save %. I get that he's still young and can improve.

But seriously, can we stop making excuses for the young players on this team and just call a spade a spade? He hasn't played well at the NHL level, period. Call me when he stops a shot without allowing a rebound. Has anyone considered the fact that maybe the defense looks bad sometimes because Markstrom allows the worst ****ing rebounds ever? Relying on a guy like that must be difficult. At the end of the day, the goalie is the last line of defense.

At the end of the day, he's only being defended because he's supposed to be the next big thing. Let's just focus on what he's done. He hasn't played well.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Markstrom bested him twice last season. 1 nearly a shutout (thanks Guddy for that).

Erick*

Yeah, apparently ya missed the first two weeks of the year where everyone was questioning whether or not Hank lost his way.

Nobody looks as good as The King's left pinky toe. Unless they play Florida.

OK, whatever. Questioning Hank's level of play is absurd as he's carried the Rangers for years. This is actually a great example. If you replace Lundqvist with an average goalie, the Rangers are just a lottery team. People on here are making it seem like the goalie is irrelevant. Your other favorite team is nothing without its goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad