GDT: 11/7/13 "Shippin' Up To Boston" - Panthers VS Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He's 11-24-5 with a 3.16 GAA, .899 save %. I get that he's still young and can improve.

But seriously, can we stop making excuses for the young players on this team and just call a spade a spade? He hasn't played well at the NHL level, period. Call me when he stops a shot without allowing a rebound. Has anyone considered the fact that maybe the defense looks bad sometimes because Markstrom allows the worst ****ing rebounds ever? Relying on a guy like that must be difficult. At the end of the day, the goalie is the last line of defense.

At the end of the day, he's only being defended because he's supposed to be the next big thing. Let's just focus on what he's done. He hasn't played well.

No dude, we can't. You have to understand, for easiest example, that Brodeur had a record much better than Richter's and Beezer. When I saw the 10 games Beezer played behind Brodeur's defense, he had a better turnout than Brodeur. Wonder what Richter would've done.

Wonder what Markstrom would do in Tukka's spot tonight...

Check out how Bobrovsky did against NYR tonight and Bob was looking great from what I've seen of the highlights.

A goalie is only as good as what's in front of them. I really don't understand how you of all people can argue such a thing.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Stop looking at stats for the stats, and start looking at how the stats got there. Then the arguments would get a lil less silly.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
OK, whatever. Questioning Hank's level of play is absurd as he's carried the Rangers for years. This is actually a great example. If you replace Lundqvist with an average goalie, the Rangers are just a lottery team. People on here are making it seem like the goalie is irrelevant. Your other favorite team is nothing without its goalie.

****ing hell I won't argue that, but he's also the best in the world by a mile and a half, and we ain't getting him...NOBODY- not Quick, Rinne, Rask, or whoever the hotty of the week is...? How the hell did that exemplify your point???

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
****ing hell I won't argue that, but he's also the best in the world by a mile and a half, and we ain't getting him...NOBODY- not Quick, Rinne, Rask, or whoever the hotty of the week is...? How the hell did that exemplify your point???

Nobody else, not Quick...hotty of the week would help us any better*

Erick*

No dude, we can't. You have to understand, for easiest example, that Brodeur had a record much better than Richter's and Beezer. When I saw the 10 games Beezer played behind Brodeur's defense, he had a better turnout than Brodeur. Wonder what Richter would've done.

Wonder what Markstrom would do in Tukka's spot tonight...

Check out how Bobrovsky did against NYR tonight and Bob was looking great from what I've seen of the highlights.

A goalie is only as good as what's in front of them. I really don't understand how you of all people can argue such a thing.

So Henrik Lundqvist is good because of the team in front of him? :help:

You wonder what Markstrom would've done in Tuuka's spot tonight? Well, he probably would've allowed at least 3 goals. He probably doesn't constantly rob Kopecky. He also probably doesn't rob Huberdeau. + you have to give Boston a weak goal, as well. We all know Markstrom allows a stupid goal per game so yeah. There's your answer. He would've allowed 3, maybe 4 goals. Rask just so happens to be pretty awesome.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
We're allowing less than 30 shots per game. I think the idea that the goalies have to be unbelievably great for this team to win some games is greatly overstated.

Every team allows scoring chances. Some teams get big saves. This team does not get many at all.

As bad as this team is, their effort on most nights isn't that bad. It just seems that way because the goaltending is terrible. They play alright, they just lack talent. There have been maybe a handful of games where they've left the goalies out to dry and have just not competed. Part of the reason why this team is 3-9-4 is because the goaltending is bad.

I hope you realize that shot counts is a complete joke of a stat. If you want to quote scoring chances then that's different. Were getting 28 shots a game, but I guarantee you at least 15+ of those are guys like Kopecky coasting down the wing floating it gingerly into the goalies crest.

The scoring chances that we do actually work for or are given by the other teams mistakes we never cash in on. Does "high and wide!" sound familiar to you? or "cross ice pass over his stick".

Boom ya nailed it bud. You're ****ing right we lack talent, goal-tending doesn't fix the joke of a hockey team in front of him. And once again, myself or no one else on these boards believe we've had anywhere close to acceptable goal-tending. But too rely solely on it to steal you games on a consistent basis is not the formula to winning.

Guys in front of the man in pads need to be able to put the puck in the net before the game has already been decided. I legitimately can not remember the last time we scored the first goal in a game.

Erick*

I hope you realize that shot counts is a complete joke of a stat. If you want to quote scoring chances then that's different. Were getting 28 shots a game, but I guarantee you at least 15+ of those are guys like Kopecky coasting down the wing floating it gingerly into the goalies crest.

The scoring chances that we do actually work for or are given by the other teams mistakes we never cash in on. Does "high and wide!" sound familiar to you? or "cross ice pass over his stick".

Boom ya nailed it bud. You're ****ing right we lack talent, goal-tending doesn't fix the joke of a hockey team in front of him. And once again, myself or no one else on these boards believe we've had anywhere close to acceptable goal-tending. But too rely solely on it to steal you games on a consistent basis is not the formula to winning.

Guys in front of the man in pads need to be able to put the puck in the net before the game has already been decided. I legitimately can not remember the last time we scored the first goal in a game.

Are the Panthers the only team that allows scoring chances? :help:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Statistics matter.

Yeah the difference between a Datsyuk goal and an empty net is what on the stats sheet?

Gaborik's 5 goals in one game against a **** team, and nothing else for 9 games compared to someone else's 5 GWGs over 10 games is what on the stats sheet?

Thank you.

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
We had a plenty of scoring chances tonight, only 1 of which we converted on after the game was over. Take a look at that last goal by Boston....the Panthers might be the only team in the league to allow that great of a scoring chance.

Erick*

Do you really think that only an elite goaltender can outplay Markstrom at this point? For crying out loud, Markstrom is being outplayed by Scott Clemmensen.

My point is that Jacob Markstrom is this team's future in net. As of right now, this franchise is relying on an unproven youngster to be its future in net. Goaltending is an important position. A veteran who isn't 40 years of age should be brought in for some stability and leadership in net.

There has to be a goaltender available who can stop, say, 90% of the pucks thrown his way. Maybe a goalie who can stop a shot in the shootout? Goaltenders get paid for a reason too, you know?

Erick*

Yeah the difference between a Datsyuk goal and an empty net is what on the stats sheet?

Gaborik's 5 goals in one game against a **** team, and nothing else for 9 games compared to someone else's 5 GWGs over 10 games is what on the stats sheet?

Thank you.

Holy ****, WTF does this mean?

The difference between a goal and an empty net goal is that one is a goal with the goalie in the net and one is an empty net goal. They keep track of empty net goals if that really bothers you that much. All you have to do is look them up.

Gaborik probably scores goals because he's a talented goal-scorer. ****** team or not, there is not a single player on the Panthers roster who can score 5 goals in one game. So it probably means that Gaborik is a better goal-scorer than a lot of players in the NHL.

I hate when people completely ignore statistics. I can guarantee you that GM's and people who make decisions don't.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Do you really think that only an elite goaltender can outplay Markstrom at this point? For crying out loud, Markstrom is being outplayed by Scott Clemmensen.

My point is that Jacob Markstrom is this team's future in net. As of right now, this franchise is relying on an unproven youngster to be its future in net. Goaltending is an important position. A veteran who isn't 40 years of age should be brought in for some stability and leadership in net.

There has to be a goaltender available who can stop, say, 90% of the pucks thrown his way. Maybe a goalie who can stop a shot in the shootout? Goaltenders get paid for a reason too, you know?

Against professional hockey players taking shots unpressured? Yes, it would take the best in the world, nothing less to handle that nightly and come out with winS. Even that's not a solid bet, why I brought up the first two weeks of NYR.

If you think a less than Elite goalie could handle that, further- one who might even be available for ANYONE & EVERYONE we have to trade...a piece of paper with money won't have anything to do with it if he's all alone...again unless he's Henrik Lundqvist at the very top of his game (which lucky for the hair on my head Hank most always is).

Goaltender get paid for a reason, but the top goalie doesn't get paid as much as the top forward(s) also for a reason (that I hate with all bias lol).

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Holy ****, WTF does this mean?

The difference between a goal and an empty net goal is that one is a goal with the goalie in the net and one is an empty net goal. They keep track of empty net goals if that really bothers you that much. All you have to do is look them up.

Gaborik probably scores goals because he's a talented goal-scorer. ****** team or not, there is not a single player on the Panthers roster who can score 5 goals in one game. So it probably means that Gaborik is a better goal-scorer than a lot of players in the NHL.

I hate when people completely ignore statistics. I can guarantee you that GM's and people who make decisions don't.

How you got any of the above after what I said is like watching politicians stonewall logic.

Lemme try again- STATS DON'T MEAN ****ING ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HOW/WHY THEY GOT THERE.

That is in no way, shape, or form IGNORING stats. It's called ANALYZING.

HERTL SCORED 4 GOALS IN ONE GAME---IS HE BETTER THAN EVERYONE WHO NEVER SCORED 4 GOALS IN A GAME? IGNORE ME NOW IF YOU THINK SO, THAT GOES FOR ANYONE.

Brodeur has more wins than everyone. He also has more losses than anyone, so I ask you Mr.HockeyNews editor...is he the best ever? or the worst? Neither. There's your plain ol stats.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I don't know if its because I'm punchy but this thread is now hilarious.

I wonder if Tallon and Dineen are yelling at each other the same way.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don't know if its because I'm punchy but this thread is now hilarious.

I wonder if Tallon and Dineen are yelling at each other the same way.

Why do I get the feeling you're pickin on me and Erick?:laugh:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
OK Erick, here's the mother of your logic- Hagelin scored two goals tonight, Ovechkin got 1...Hagelins better!

See what I mean yet? No? Ok. Goodnight all, Haj is right.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
It's frustrating, but we need to stay the course, whether it results in a high draft pick or a playoff push (anything beyond that is a pipe dream).

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
I'm going to agree with both CH and Erick, while bringing in a veteran goaltender would probably help us a little bit, that isn't the biggest problem on the team at the moment. You can't win a game by scoring 1 goal every game, its impossible. In my opinion Markstrom and Clemmensen would be over .900 if we didn't pass the puck in front of the net like morons. Offense is the biggest need right now, and I think that's obvious. Bringing in a veteran goaltender with a big salary and a long term would just be stupid, Markstrom will be able to play, and I think with a little better team in front of him he can put up some better numbers and get us some wins.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
How you got any of the above after what I said is like watching politicians stonewall logic.

Lemme try again- STATS DON'T MEAN ****ING ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO HOW/WHY THEY GOT THERE.

That is in no way, shape, or form IGNORING stats. It's called ANALYZING.

HERTL SCORED 4 GOALS IN ONE GAME---IS HE BETTER THAN EVERYONE WHO NEVER SCORED 4 GOALS IN A GAME? IGNORE ME NOW IF YOU THINK SO, THAT GOES FOR ANYONE.

Brodeur has more wins than everyone. He also has more losses than anyone, so I ask you Mr.HockeyNews editor...is he the best ever? or the worst? Neither. There's your plain ol stats.

Or when a goalie lets in 3 goals in a game, but 2 of those come on 2 on 1s... that **** doesn't show up on the damn stats does it? Or allows goals on the PP because his team takes stupid penalties... does the GAA get adjusted because of the stupid penalty the team took? GAA is not the be all end all some people make it out to be especially if the defense in front of the goalie sucks.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
:nod:
Or when a goalie lets in 3 goals in a game, but 2 of those come on 2 on 1s... that **** doesn't show up on the damn stats does it? Or allows goals on the PP because his team takes stupid penalties... does the GAA get adjusted because of the stupid penalty the team took? GAA is not the all be all some people make it out to be specially if the defense in front of the goalie sucks.

:nod:

...but that other goal was soft.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Or when a goalie lets in 3 goals in a game, but 2 of those come on 2 on 1s... that **** doesn't show up on the damn stats does it? Or allows goals on the PP because his team takes stupid penalties... does the GAA get adjusted because of the stupid penalty the team took? GAA is not the all be all some people make it out to be especially if the defense in front of the goalie sucks.

...and you do acknowledge, instead of ignore, that 3 goals have gone in according to the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad