GDT: 11/7/13 - Minnesota Wild @ Washington Capitals - 6:00PM CST - FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
NO, we lost because of plain illegal goal referees somehow missed.

Blaming the refs is juvenile and short sighted. The Wild had the entire third to put the Caps away, illegal goal or not. The Wild chose to sit back and then they tried to run a powerplay while standing still.

The Wild lost the game. Not the referees.

Blaming the refs is an excuse. Good teams make their own luck and don't rely on favorable calls, even if those calls are deserved. A good team overcomes it. The Wild did not do that tonight.

I reject your assessment outright, but I respect your right to have your own opinion, no matter how damned wrong it is.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Sorry guys I said out loud "the only person I don't think should be in the shootout is Coyle" only to see his name wrote down seconds later.

Thought Coyle had a rough game, was fumbling the puck all night other then his goal.

Nino, Granlund, Koivu and Parise looked great tonight. Hards as well.

Thought Scandella had a rather strong game. Actually the entire D other then Prosser looked good.

Thought the reffing was poor at best.

Upset we lost and want to blame the refs but we could have played much better in the third.

I think they played just fine, plan was protect that one goal lead and they manage to do that really well. You can't blame that goal neither team or coach, only reason johansson got that open wide shot was brodin was interferenced by another caps player, and should been penalty and no goal

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
I'm not that worried. With the OT loss, we have the same amount of points as the best two teams in the East, and are a few points behind the best in the West as well.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Blaming the refs is juvenile and short sighted. The Wild had the entire third to put the Caps away, illegal goal or not. The Wild chose to sit back and then they tried to run a powerplay while standing still.

Blaming the refs is an excuse. Good teams make their own luck and don't rely on favorable calls, even if those calls are deserved. A good team overcomes it. The Wild did not do that tonight.

I reject your assessment outright, but I respect your right to have your own opinion, no matter how damned wrong it is.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's like saying, "I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong."

But yeah, refs are not to blame at all. Wild brought it on themselves.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I think they played just fine, plan was protect that one goal lead and they manage to do that really well. You can't blame that goal neither team or coach, only reason johansson got that open wide shot was brodin was interferenced by another caps player, and should been penalty and no goal

The Wild get bitten quite a bit when they try to sit back and protect a lead in the third. The best defense is to be in the offensive zone as much as possible and the Wild seemingly did not care to do that in the third.

It's as if they thought the game was won after the second.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota

Almost the entire 3rd was played in our end. Easiest way to prevent them from scoring is to keep the play in their end.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011

their tactic was to defend and block shots. youre messing things here, we can debate if the choosen play was right or not? without mistake by refs their tactic did work almost 100%. im not blaming refs, im saying only reason wild lost tonight was mistake by refs.. they could play more offensive game for sure.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota
can we be done with Kovio now? i'm just so tired of being disappointed with lack of offense.

Agreed. And Yeo. Anyway you slice it, Koivu doesn't get it done offensively. Yeo just continues to make odd coaching decisions after odd coaching decisions. At some point you've gotta come down on your coach and captain.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
their tactic was to defend and block shots. youre messing things here, we can debate if the choosen play was right or not, without mistake by refs their tactic did work.

There really isnt anything to debate. The Wild spent the third in their own zone, and the way the calls had been going during the game they should have expected to get screwed over by the refs bigtime.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Agreed. And Yeo. Anyway you slice it, Koivu doesn't get it done offensively. Yeo just continues to make odd coaching decisions after odd coaching decisions. At some point you've gotta come down on your coach and captain.
What? The top 6 (including Koivu) were again very good tonight....just like they were in the last game. Don't know how you can criticize Koivu tonight.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

Name:

1) A 1st line center we can one-for-one swap Koivu for.

2) A coach we can replace Yeo with.

WildFinn*

:laugh:

Are you people serious?

It was an ok game from most of the players, the Caps had done their homework and they had some luck also.

The Capitals players and coach seemed really pleased for this victory, all saying how good of a team Wild is.

SPMaximus

Apr 29, 2011
What? The top 6 (including Koivu) were again very good tonight....just like they were in the last game. Don't know how you can criticize Koivu tonight.

Kovio could get a hat trick and that guy would still find reason to complain

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

I wouldnt take it too seriously. He's one of the negative trio.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
There really isnt anything to debate. The Wild spent the third in their own zone, and the way the calls had been going during the game they should have expected to get screwed over by the refs bigtime.

playing own zone may indicate also freezing the game, they lost controlling only at last 5mins which was lethal but not projected to happen, and those kind of refs shouldn't work at this level of game

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Even ignoring the tying goal, we should have scored on the 4 on 3.

A 4 on 3 is probably the best possible power play situation and we blew it.

The continued use of Suter/Pominville as a big point shot is ridiculous, of all the things Suter is the one thing he clearly hasn't been his whole career is a point shot. We waste so much time trying to setup a completely obvious play that has yet to work.

Use Pominville like the Cap's use Ovechkin at least, down at the top of the circles accepting passes from the far corner so the goalie has to actually move a reasonable distance.

Northland Wild Man

Finnesotans?
Jun 14, 2011
Grand Forks, ND
My take:

The Good

I thought the Wild were sloppy at first, but immediately turned it around. The team looked good tonight and they counterattacked well. The Capitals did have stretches where they had momentum, but the Wild were clearly the better team tonight. I'll say that again in case anyone missed it. The Wild are a better team than the Capitals. 5 on 5 the Wild for the most part owned them. The defense did wear down late, due to Stoner going down, fortunately the Wild held the fort. I also liked the physical play tonight. It's good to see players step up and run people when it's appropriate. Also, Suter looked to me like he was out there the entire game. He's just such a tremendous player.

The Bad

The officiating was atrocious in the 3rd. Mike Yeo should have hit Peel over the head with a stick after the tying goal went in. He missed at least 2 penalties that I counted when they had pressure late before scoring. There was a pick play set against the far wall, and a Wild defenseman's stick was snapped in front of the net with a slash. Instead of the Wild getting a PP out of it the Capitals tie the game and gain more momentum. He tried to make up for it by calling a late penalty on Washington, but if he had done the job he was paid to do the Wild would most likely have won in regulation. In this close Western conference race I hope this ****er hasn't cost the Wild anything when playoff time rolls around. Every point means so much right now that it's really not acceptable for this type of officiating to decide games.

The Ugly

Stoner went out early. I hope it's nothing serious, but he didn't return so it's concerning. Parise was hit in I believe the wrist with a shot from some bum right before the shootout. Hopefully he is not out at all, because we can't afford to lose him. You have to think he would have shot in the shootout a minute later if that didn't happen.

One last thing

I despise games decided by a shootout in the NHL. It's a gimmick designed to draw people to the game who have terribly short attention spans. :p:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
playing own zone may indicate also freezing the game, they lost controlling only at last 5mins which was lethal but not projected to happen, and those kind of refs shouldn't work at this level of game

Stop trying to bring the refs into this. Yes they were a factor, but they're not something the Wild can control.

What they can control is how much time they spend in their own zone. Every second we let the Capitals spend in our zone is time where the Capitals could score at any second.

The Wild simply did not do the things they needed to do to put this game away. They should have attacked relentlessly during the third. They should have had movement on their powerplay. They should have made much better use of the 4 on 3 to open OT.

There are entirely too many things the Wild could have done differently to try to place the blame for this one on the refs.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Even ignoring the tying goal, we should have scored on the 4 on 3.

A 4 on 3 is probably the best possible power play situation and we blew it.

The continued use of Suter/Pominville as a big point shot is ridiculous, of all the things Suter is the one thing he clearly hasn't been his whole career is a point shot. We waste so much time trying to setup a completely obvious play that has yet to work.

Use Pominville like the Cap's use Ovechkin at least, down at the top of the circles accepting passes from the far corner so the goalie has to actually move a reasonable distance.

I rather ignore that 4 on 3, forced to scoring goals when it is essential MUST HAVE TO situation is never as easy you might think, on the other hand defending your lead should be easier than this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad