Post-Game Talk: 11/4/23 - Cats lose to Hawks 5-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Sorry guys, you are all wrong.

Barkov from 2020-21 to 2021-22 was top 10 in PPG AND GPG while being a selke finalist. Then last year he's only 16th in PPG and not even top 20 in GPG, then goes all the way down to 8th in selke voting.

The conclusion has been right in your faces all along. Barkov is Chump Change without Huberdeau.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
While I’m concerned about the offensive production from guys like Lundell, Loustarinen, tkachuk who’s probably still reeling from his injury, Verhaeghe, Barkov, essentially everyone who isn’t Reinhart. Having said that I’m not going to personally draw a conclusion until Ekblad and montour come back.

The fact that 4 of our 6 D consists of Mikkola, Mahura, Kulikov and Balinskis it’s going to be hard to drive offensive chances and maintain offensive pressure when your backend looks like that. They’ve done a more than fine job defensively so far. Better than expected. But from an offensive standpoint those guys just aren’t it and forsling and OEL can only do so much.

People know where I stand with Barkov. I will say I’ve been pleasantly surprised that i actually see him go and finish checks and has been a bit more physical compared to before. I still wish he had more of a killer will as he has all the tools. The hands, the hockey sense, the shot, the defensive acumen, the size and strength. I wish he’d be more aggressive and just get shots on net when he’s in a position to. Again, let’s see when the offense is back and they’re up to speed. I do think Barkov had a down season offensively last year and his playoff stats are never amazing however his D game is always strong and his abilities to strip pucks away is elite. I’d like to see him score more goals but everyone aside from Reinhart could stand to score more goals right now

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So what do you propose change?
Don’t propose any changes. im Just pointing out Barkov is becoming a problem if he can’t produce when the team needs him to produce. Some posters think production should be Handled by everyone else but Barkov. Even tho it basically has been the last year. If this keeps trending this way team will be out of contender status and Barkovs contract won’t be pretty in a couple years

Reactions: I am not exposed

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Don’t propose any changes. im Just pointing out Barkov is becoming a problem if he can’t produce when the team needs him to produce. Some posters think production should be Handled by everyone else but Barkov. Even tho it basically has been the last year. If this keeps trending this way team will be out of contender status and Barkovs contract won’t be pretty in a couple years
You keep harping on Barkov's season last year, and yes, it was a downgrade both offensively and defensively compared to the last 2 years.

But 16th in PPG leaguewide is incredible for a two way forward. Look at the names surrounding him.

The players he was ahead of. Matthews, Stutzle, Crosby, Panarin.

The names just ahead of him. Point, Thompson, Marner, Karlsson, Hopkins.

Now how many of those names are as good a two way player as he is? Excluding Karlsson since he's a dman, the only one that finished ahead of him in selke voting among those names is Marner.

Reactions: Laus723

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Is barkov a problem or becoming a problem? If he's becoming a problem, then he's not a problem yet and still valuable? Help me understand
Well at his current production rate if it holds he is a problem at $10mil. If the decline continues and gets worse it takes this team out of contender status. So weather or not u consider that a problem is up to u

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
You keep harping on Barkov's season last year, and yes, it was a downgrade both offensively and defensively compared to the last 2 years.

But 16th in PPG leaguewide is incredible for a two way forward. Look at the names surrounding him.

The players he was ahead of. Matthews, Stutzle, Crosby, Panarin.

The names just ahead of him. Point, Thompson, Marner, Karlsson, Hopkins.

Now how many of those names are as good a two way player as he is? Excluding Karlsson since he's a dman, the only one that finished ahead of him in selke voting among those names is Marner.
if your happy with his production and think him beconing a middling offensive threat isn’t a problem, while the team is going through injuries and other slumps, that’s fine. I see other contenders stars pick it up in those circumstances. I see Barkov fade. To me that’s a big problem And a sign of problems going forward if u want the team to be considered A Stanley cup threat. he scored 23 goals last year. If you’re fine with that for 10mil again that’s fine. Better hope the team can keep these 30 and 40 goal scorers and montour keeps producing 70 points a year or else the offense will completely evaporate.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
“Hang on while I mix words to make sense of what I’ve said. It’s absolutely irrelevant if they lose, so long as Eichel scores. That’s all that matters…never mind that the team that beat Vegas had scorers throughout the lineup, Eichel scored and that’s what is relevant cause he’s a good player. Pay no attention to the fact that their whole team is scoring and that’s why they had that great run…it’s all Eichel. HE has to score, only get primary assists, all him.”

I mean, wtf

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
“Hang on while I mix words to make sense of what I’ve said. It’s absolutely irrelevant if they lose, so long as Eichel scores. That’s all that matters…never mind that the team that beat Vegas had scorers throughout the lineup, Eichel scored and that’s what is relevant cause he’s a good player. Pay no attention to the fact that their whole team is scoring and that’s why they had that great run…it’s all Eichel. HE has to score, only get primary assists, all him.”

I mean, wtf
It’s ok. Everyone else will carry Barkovs water and u can all song his praises off a 20 goal
season. As long as your baby doesn’t get criticized. We’ll keep placing blame on 22 year olds and 3rd liners. But when I’m right once again. I’ll absolutsly still be here to say I told u so.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
if your happy with his production and think him beconing a middling offensive threat isn’t a problem, while the team is going through injuries and other slumps, that’s fine. I see other contenders stars pick it up in those circumstances. I see Barkov fade. To me that’s a big problem And a sign of problems going forward if u want the team to be considered A Stanley cup threat. he scored 23 goals last year. If you’re fine with that for 10mil again that’s fine. Better hope the team can keep these 30 and 40 goal scorers and montour keeps producing 70 points a year or else the offense will completely evaporate.

He's averaged at least 24 goals for 8 consecutive years now. We've seen him capable of scoring more like in 2020-2022 but he's always been a playmaking two way center throughout his entire NHL career and that's what he's primarily being paid for.

Also, being 16th in PPG leaguewide as a two way center is a "middling offensive threat"? I've heard it all now lol.

You pretty much disregard any statistical evidence that refutes a lot of your claims and you're calling us biased? Most of us are aware of Barkov's faults, difference is you don't seem to be aware of just how valuable he is.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
He's averaged at least 24 goals for 8 consecutive years now. We've seen him capable of scoring more like in 2020-2022 but he's always been a playmaking two way center throughout his entire NHL career and that's what he's primarily being paid for.

Also, being 16th in PPG leaguewide as a two way center is a "middling offensive threat"? I've heard it all now lol.

You pretty much disregard any statistical evidence that refutes a lot of your claims and you're calling us biased? Most of us are aware of Barkov's faults, difference is you don't seem to be aware of just how valuable he is.
I’m aware of him riding 40 goal scorers production to inflate his point totals while he mainly ghosts in critical times. I can see it on the ice. Don’t need point totals to show me that. Don’t need stats to show me there were other players who carried the offense in critical times. And when it’s time for him to pick it up when they struggle look what happens. Offense dries up. But if u wanna check out his primary point totals and /60 rates they aren’t flattering. And they r getting worse. I’m pointing it out before its a massive problem and when it does become an issue that you all will be able to see soon enough I will be here to say I told u so.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
What an era to be alive…

Trolls are not even trolls anymore, I’m asked to consider them like people. It’s crazy.

But I do understand kinda… Must be pretty hard living in that cave alone, with no one caring for him…

What I still don’t understand is how people keep interacting with it, giving it relevance and the purpose to continue.

Who’s the guy that hit the « ignore » button again ? Tell me how enjoyable is this board now ?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It’s ok. Everyone else will carry Barkovs water and u can all song his praises off a 20 goal
season. As long as your baby doesn’t get criticized. We’ll keep placing blame on 22 year olds and 3rd liners. But when I’m right once again. I’ll absolutsly still be here to say I told u so.
Lmao, except literally no one else is “carrying” the PPG Barkov atm, and as I pointed out, is the current problem.

I’ve made my point and pointed out teams over and over again. I expect an at least 90 point Barkov, I don’t give af how he got them, I also expect 22 year olds and 3rd liners to do their jobs. How you think that line about the bottom 6 guys is some kind of gotcha or strong point, basically tells me all I need to know.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Whole team didn’t show up, but let’s call out Barkov. “No one will call him out,” the whole team was garbage, how tf do you single out one guy?

No bias, but this is why your incessant whining won’t be taken seriously. If I had to guess, you just like posting to rile people ip, you don’t actually think these things.

Because he's our captain, 1st line franchise centre, and being paid superstar money. Of course he should be called out more than most other players on the team. The expectations should be higher for him. He coasts along/underperforms too often and the amount of excuses for him on this board are a little ridiculous.

Barkov is a highly talented skilled player. But he is also an infuriating player to watch. He is who is and unfortunately that probably isn't going to change. Concerningly he looks less assertive when he really should be dominating more.

Barkov was my favourite player on the team since he was pretty much first drafted here. But stuff like being embarrassed going for empty netters, not shooting in prime positions, and being a shrinking violet in too many games is just really infuriating.

When he plays well and is assertive I call as I see it. As does vendetta btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad