GDT: 11/4/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yzerman won a Selke and was nominated for another, and top-5 in votes two more times. He was among the best 3-5 defensive forwards in the game in the latter half of his career. It's a big reason why I make the comparison so much.

Their skillsets are eerily similar. But it's really the way they think the game.

Eh you're right it's easy to forget about because there was Fedorov

Reactions: LonLon Lei

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Did anyone notice Tyler Johnson was also involved in that tying goal? Yeah I know, I was too stoked on Point and McDonagh to notice too
Of course he was involved. He had the primary assist and made a damn good read. He could have easily passed to Stammer in the slot but kept his cool and found the more reliable target, Point on the doorstep.

Last edited:

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Of course he was involved. He had the primary assist and made a damn good read. He could have easily passed to Stammer in the slot but kept his cool and found the more reliable target, Point on the doorstep.
I was being sarcasmic

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I with you, but I honestly don't have any hate for the sens or their fans. Teams like Boston or Detroit on the other hand.............

Detroit's are the worst, good thing they're completely irrelevant now.

Jersey and Boston....must be something about those east coast accents.

Reactions: Master P

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think the Sens thought he was gonna try to get it to Stamkos, which is why Point was so wide open. It was a great play all around.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I think the Sens thought he was gonna try to get it to Stamkos, which is why Point was so wide open. It was a great play all around.
Definitely. Still can't say enough about McD's play. I was pretty down on McD when he first came but I willingly admit to being dead wrong.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not ready to go there yet, but very solid. Btw, on this weeks Hockey PDOcast they rate the top 20 defensemen (with a few honorable mentions). Very interesting comments about Hedman, which I happen to agree with. Will definitely perk Lightning fans ears up! Starts at about minute 86. Ep.259: Johan Pettersson, Number One Defenseman
Lol at both of these idiots ranking Subban over Hedman. f*** off.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Lol at both of these idiots ranking Subban over Hedman. **** off.
Hedman as the 5th best Defenseman? Seriously? An argument can be made that Doughty and Karlsson are better than Hedman (they're not in my opinion but an argument can be made) but that's about it. There's really no comparison beyond that in my book. Subban? Jones? Give me a break..

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Offense is nice and all but man, this kind of defense is so underrated. Hedman makes smart plays but you see at least a "flashy" defensively play from McDonagh a game. I never watch Doughty that much but if he's even better than current McDonagh at this part of the game I seriously see the arguments people have been making.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Offense is nice and all but man, this kind of defense is so underrated. Hedman makes smart plays but you see at least a "flashy" defensively play from McDonagh a game. I never watch Doughty that much but if he's even better than current McDonagh at this part of the game I seriously see the arguments people have been making.
Hedman's flashy plays are normally against the rush (I think he's the best guy at defending a 2 on 1 in the league personally). He plays - not passively - but reactively in the defensive zone, while I feel that McDonagh's style is more assertive in the Dzone.

I would note that there's a give and take with that. I don't think I've ever seen Hedman out of position in-zone (he is obviously subject to some bad pinches or the like, but in zone he always seems to have his man), while I have seen McD get pulled away from the play a bit. Also - I think Hedman's D is "boring" in that it's normally just breaking up a cycle with his reach which is never going to make a highlight.

I think McD and Hedman are close overall in D but they certainly bring different things to the table back there. McD is fantastic on the takeaways and board play, Hedman is great at position and disrupting cycles. And I think Hedman is better on the breakout between the two.

I mean, we have two #1s who can each play against the best in the game. That's an amazing luxury to have.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Hedman's flashy plays are normally against the rush (I think he's the best guy at defending a 2 on 1 in the league personally). He plays - not passively - but reactively in the defensive zone, while I feel that McDonagh's style is more assertive in the Dzone.

I would note that there's a give and take with that. I don't think I've ever seen Hedman out of position in-zone (he is obviously subject to some bad pinches or the like, but in zone he always seems to have his man), while I have seen McD get pulled away from the play a bit. Also - I think Hedman's D is "boring" in that it's normally just breaking up a cycle with his reach which is never going to make a highlight.

I think McD and Hedman are close overall in D but they certainly bring different things to the table back there. McD is fantastic on the takeaways and board play, Hedman is great at position and disrupting cycles. And I think Hedman is better on the breakout between the two.

I mean, we have two #1s who can each play against the best in the game. That's an amazing luxury to have.

Yeah I had the same takeaways, Hedman is very sound positionally and very systematic in defense so when he makes a mistake it stands out. He's like Bishop in a sense where they're so positionally sound that you need to make the perfect shot to get by him, McDonagh's similar to Vasy with his athleticism making highlights.

We just need both these guys healthy in the playoffs.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah I had the same takeaways, Hedman is very sound positionally and very systematic in defense so when he makes a mistake it stands out. He's like Bishop in a sense where they're so positionally sound that you need to make the perfect shot to get by him, McDonagh's similar to Vasy with his athleticism making highlights.

We just need both these guys healthy in the playoffs.
I'll also say this - I've seen teams get FRUSTRATED playing against Hedman before. I think it was the third regular season Caps game last season where the Caps just stopped trying to enter the zone on his side of the ice. They would pull up and throw it across the ice because he was just smothering everything. It's Lidstrom-style v. Pronger-style of coverage.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Hedman as the 5th best Defenseman? Seriously? An argument can be made that Doughty and Karlsson are better than Hedman (they're not in my opinion but an argument can be made) but that's about it. There's really no comparison beyond that in my book. Subban? Jones? Give me a break..
The opinion of a total homer isn't really worth a whole lot.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
The opinion of a total homer isn't really worth a whole lot.
Clearly the Norris voters that have him 1st and 3rd over the past two seasons are also homers.

It's an indefensible opinion. It's incredibly stupid. Like mouth-breathingly, even Dom would sniff that out as an awful opinion stupid.

Two random dudes running a "PDOcast" are clearly advanced stat nerds who think games are played on spreadsheets. They're idiots. They're not authorities.

Reactions: Stamper and JDBolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad