GDT: 11/27/13 "Giving T.Hanks" - Rangers VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
This.

I criticize Kulikov because I like(d) him ever since he was drafted. We saw What his presence was to the team in 2011 was after he got injured, the defense missed him. However, I don't think he is near that level now.
He seems to be indecisive with the puck, and it happens at the worst moments. Not to mention his slap shot should be banned in all 50 states
Like others have said, he is a player that probably has the most value, that Tallon would be willing to trade. If he can bring back a soon to be nhler that projects to be a scoring winger ans has a track record of scoring goals at every previous level then I would do that trade.

I agree with you but some here think that a team will give up a real goal scorer top 6 forward in the NHL level for this Kulikov playing for us right now. If Kulikov can get us a prospect like you mentioned with those credentials and heavily scouted by Tallon, i would do it as well. I actually like the 2 for 1 trade like Tallon did with Versteeg to get Olsen and Hayes. If we can do the same with Kulikov in that same way I would be very happy with that but Kulikov alone is not enough to get anyone's 30 goal scorer here in the NHL. We're going to have to sign one of those guys and throw some big bucks around to get that in my opinion.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I've been vehemently against the notion of trading Kulikov, but he certainly is not helping himself here. However, I would still be absolutely against trading him for anything other than a proven forward. This team has a flat-out ****** record with prospects and bringing in another one from another team is not something I'd be in favor of. If Tallon wants to trade Kulikov, he needs to figure out a way to it for proven NHL ability. And I don't mean a 33 year old whose peak season happened when he was 26. And if that means trading a pick or two, so be it. I'd rather trade an unknown draft pick and Kulikov for a legitimate scoring threat than trade Kulikov for a prospect who may or may not pan out.

Otherwise, I would have no problem with keeping Kulikov. I'm still a firm believer that he can be a tremendous defenseman.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
I've been vehemently against the notion of trading Kulikov, but he certainly is not helping himself here. However, I would still be absolutely against trading him for anything other than a proven forward. This team has a flat-out ****** record with prospects and bringing in another one from another team is not something I'd be in favor of. If Tallon wants to trade Kulikov, he needs to figure out a way to it for proven NHL ability. And I don't mean a 33 year old whose peak season happened when he was 26. And if that means trading a pick or two, so be it. I'd rather trade an unknown draft pick and Kulikov for a legitimate scoring threat than trade Kulikov for a prospect who may or may not pan out.

Otherwise, I would have no problem with keeping Kulikov. I'm still a firm believer that he can be a tremendous defenseman.

I personally don't think Kulikov "should" be traded but I am just responding to some who think he should be shipped off because of how he's played this year. I don't think Tallon is looking to trade him somewhere but if we're going to speculate trading him, his worth I think would be prospects alone and perhaps maybe we can get a top 6 forward from some team but only i think if we are adding another forward like a Flash or a high draft pick or something.

I agree with you if we are going to trade him, we should try our best to get someone to help us now but we'd likely have to give up a lot to do that and its probably just worth keeping him and sign that guy in free agency. I think because Kulikov was projected to a better player than he is right now, many people here are disappointed with his play this year but hey every person has a level of competency and Kulikov is perhaps is what he is right now and that's not a top 4 dman. Doesn't mean he should be traded though I think he should just not be getting top 4 minutes and pay him accordingly to what he is until he shows different. Gilbert is our biggest problem on defense right now but it looks like Kulikov is the new whipping boy. My personal whipping boy on this team is Huby but I haven't reached that point yet to rant about him but its coming.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
A)Band-aid because we are not going to get the 1st line scoring talent we desperately need or top pairing defenseman, unless we are seriously overpaying at this point. I think Tallon has mentioned that he is not willing to mortgage the future for a quick fix. And I agree with that. Smaller trades that get you something similar to what we did for Versteeg - Olsen/Hayes I would not mind if we can get players that figure into your future.

B) I think we have seen progression already. But, do you really want to unload young players to move up 3-5 spots in the standings and not make the playoffs? I guess we will disagree on that point.

C) I think we can all agree that we are not going to sign the top 4-5 UFA forwards/d-men. The defense has looked better, but it is obvious we need at least 1 top pairing defenseman. Similar with the forwards, we need at least 1 top scoring winger, preferably a 2nd line scoring winger as well. I think those 3 signings (whoever they are) would make a significant improvement on this team. Similar to when we signed Campbell, get one big name free agent at the start of offseason in the hopes it makes it more attractive for other to join.

A) So what if we don't get a 1st line forward? We can at least get a 2nd line forward, which is an improvement. I don't want Tallon to mortgage the future for a quick fix. If he can acquire a forward who fits into the team's plans for the next several years, I don't see the problem in trading Kulikov for him. I'm not talking about a 35 year old. I'm talking about a younger forward with term.

B)We have seen progression, but moving up two spots in the standings is not really the progression we need to see. Again, you say 'unload young players' as if I am advocating trading Kulikov for an aging has been. That's not what I'm saying. There's nothing saying we can't acquire a young forward back.

C)If we are not going to sign the top 4-5 forwards or d-men, then that once again doesn't give us a great chance to make the playoffs. Which is also more reason to try to trade for a legitimate young scorer now, not wait until the summer. If we can acquire one now and not have to compete with other teams for forwards in free agency, I think we should do it.

I agree with your assessment of Kulikov and I would agree on the outside looking in one would say Kulikov needs a change of scenery and even perhaps gm and coach would think they can turn him around but Kulikov has played a lot of games already in his young age and though he has some tools I find it extremely and highly unlikely that a playoff team or a mediocre team who likely is mediocre because they lack top 6 forwards (goal scoring) will trade for a project like Kulikov, who has played a ton of games who needs to be turned around, for a guy who scored now 30 goals for there team rignt now. It's just not too likely. If I'm another GM looking at our team, I give up a draft pick for Kulikov and not a core player.

I root for the front of the jersey by the way and not the name on the back so I have no allegiance for anyone here. I want the best players who are going to help us win so I have no favorites here.

Though this is what the Stars did when they traded for Goligoski. Not all teams are mediocre because they can't score. The Oilers and Islanders are an example. Even the Sens aren't that hot, and they can score too. Some teams need to beef up their D. Look at Tampa Bay last season, they traded Conacher who was a great rookie to beef up in net. They finished 3rd last.

Also, it doesn't have to be a guy who has scored 30 goals in the past. It could be a young forward who has that potential, just like Kulikov is young with potential. Kulikov is a bit of a project, but he's not so far gone that he can't be turned around. Far from it. It doesn't even have to be a 30 goal scorer. A 20-25 goal scorer would still be an improvement. How many of our players are on pace to score 20 goals this season?

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I personally don't think Kulikov "should" be traded but I am just responding to some who think he should be shipped off because of how he's played this year. I don't think Tallon is looking to trade him somewhere but if we're going to speculate trading him, his worth I think would be prospects alone and perhaps maybe we can get a top 6 forward from some team but only i think if we are adding another forward like a Flash or a high draft pick or something.

I don't know what kind of love you have for Kulikov but whatever.

Listen, young, good skating, top 4 defenseman don't grow on trees in the NHL. Especially with offensive upside. All 30 NHL teams don't sit and watch us every night. Kulikov has a ton of experience but he's playing on a bad team right now. In 11-12 when we were a "good team" he had by far his best season. This proves to GMs that he can perform at a level. Especially when he hit that level at age 21.

If you think his value is low you are kidding yourself, regardless of how he is playing. I never said Kulikov would land us some superstar, but he could easily land us a 20-30 goal scorer, even if we have to add something a little extra.

Teams deal from strength to fix weaknesses. Right now, our glaring weakness is goal scoring. Defense is struggling yes, but Thomas is a wall back there and we seem to be getting by for the most part in that end. We have a boatload of quality defenseman in our system including Matheson, Racine, Petrovic, and Robak. I honestly feel Robak would have the same impact on this team that Kulikov has right now, except with better offensive ability. Robak coughs the puck up just like Kuli, but Kuli is terrible with the puck. He makes awful decisions more often then not.

If you really think we won't get anything of value for Kulikov you are completely out to lunch. Why does it always have to be to a contender? Why is it only driven into your skull that we can trade our players for picks? This isn't some UFA contract expiring, this isn't a washed up old vet, this is a PRIME TRADING PIECE. Teams want players like Kulikov, and the evidence is there when a Simmons for Kulikov swap was universally accepted on the Trade and Rumors board a few weeks ago. Look at a team like the Islanders. They have an abundance of great forwards, but lack a smooth skating, puck moving defenseman. You're telling me Kulikov and change wouldn't fetch us Kyle Okposo? Or we couldn't get a Bonino or Silfverberg from Anaheim?

Listen, I loved Kulikov when he was drafted. I have wanted him to succeed in a Panther uniform for so long, and I thought after the 11-12 season, he was finally taking the next step. Well has only regressed since then and hasn't been the same at all. I feel like our time with him is done. We've had him for 5 years, and he isn't want we want him to be. If he moves to another team and finds his game, that is great, but it likely will not happen here in Florida. He's still at the stage of his career where he can be moved for something of value. Another year or two of this play and his value drops significantly.

It's time to call a spade a spade and realize that Kulikov just isn't going to be what he was supposed to be when drafted, at least not while wearing a Panther uniform.

I expect him to be moved sooner rather than later. He's not a trade deadline type of deal where teams try and tack on players for a last minute cup run. This is a guy who a lesser team might invest in as part of THEIR future. That's fine. But it's time to trade him because his value to this team just isn't there anymore.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
A) So what if we don't get a 1st line forward? We can at least get a 2nd line forward, which is an improvement. I don't want Tallon to mortgage the future for a quick fix. If he can acquire a forward who fits into the team's plans for the next several years, I don't see the problem in trading Kulikov for him. I'm not talking about a 35 year old. I'm talking about a younger forward with term.

B)We have seen progression, but moving up two spots in the standings is not really the progression we need to see. Again, you say 'unload young players' as if I am advocating trading Kulikov for an aging has been. That's not what I'm saying. There's nothing saying we can't acquire a young forward back.

C)If we are not going to sign the top 4-5 forwards or d-men, then that once again doesn't give us a great chance to make the playoffs. Which is also more reason to try to trade for a legitimate young scorer now, not wait until the summer. If we can acquire one now and not have to compete with other teams for forwards in free agency, I think we should do it.

Though this is what the Stars did when they traded for Goligoski. Not all teams are mediocre because they can't score. The Oilers and Islanders are an example. Even the Sens aren't that hot, and they can score too. Some teams need to beef up their D. Look at Tampa Bay last season, they traded Conacher who was a great rookie to beef up in net. They finished 3rd last.

Also, it doesn't have to be a guy who has scored 30 goals in the past. It could be a young forward who has that potential, just like Kulikov is young with potential. Kulikov is a bit of a project, but he's not so far gone that he can't be turned around. Far from it. It doesn't even have to be a 30 goal scorer. A 20-25 goal scorer would still be an improvement. How many of our players are on pace to score 20 goals this season?

I would love to get a top 6 forward from Edmonton but Kulikov alone to get a top 6 forward 20 goal scorer from any of the teams you mentioned? Kulikov has tools but no one I think is giving up even a 20 goal scorer for him. Perhaps a 20-30 goal scorer in the AHL but not a established NHL top 6 forward who can score 20-30 goals. If you were a fan from another team, wouldnt you be pissed if your gm traded a great asset like a NHL 20 goal scorer playing in your top 6 for a project underchiever playing in a loser team like Florida? You probably would have felt you could have got someone better back with your 20 goal scorer wouldn't you? You mentioned getting a player back with potential (underachiever) like Kulikov, is that really want you want here? Havent we had our share of that kind of player? Perhaps your counting on us fleecing a GM with Kulikov should we choose to trade him but I don't think that's going to happen in this case. He's worth a prospect underachieving in the NHL, draft pick or at best a goal scoring prospect in the AHL which is basically not much were getting back with our problems so that's why I am in the camp of keeping Kulikov and trying to fix his problems rather than give him away for not much realistically..

Conacher by the way was a great rookie only playing with Tampa's established stars. Since he's been with the sens not so great with 10 points in 37 total games since joining the sens last year.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I would love to get a top 6 forward from Edmonton but Kulikov alone to get a top 6 forward 20 goal scorer from any of the teams you mentioned? Kulikov has tools but no one I think is giving up even a 20 goal scorer for him. Perhaps a 20-30 goal scorer in the AHL but not a established NHL top 6 forward who can score 20-30 goals. If you were a fan from another team, wouldnt you be pissed if your gm traded a great asset like a NHL 20 goal scorer playing in your top 6 for a project underchiever playing in a loser team like Florida? You probably would have felt you could have got someone better back with your 20 goal scorer wouldn't you? You mentioned getting a player back with potential (underachiever) like Kulikov, is that really want you want here? Havent we had our share of that kind of player? Perhaps your counting on us fleecing a GM with Kulikov should we choose to trade him but I don't think that's going to happen in this case. He's worth a prospect underachieving in the NHL, draft pick or at best a goal scoring prospect in the AHL which is basically not much were getting back with our problems so that's why I am in the camp of keeping Kulikov and trying to fix his problems rather than give him away for not much realistically..

Conacher by the way was a great rookie only playing with Tampa's established stars. Since he's been with the sens not so great with 10 points in 37 total games since joining the sens last year.

James Neal literally had a 27 goal season and had 21 goal during the season that he was traded when Dallas moved him for Goligoski.

You act like this is something that has never happened before. You really think teams aren't going to take into consideration the talent Kulikov plays with here? Come on man stop acting like all of our players are worthless :shakehead

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
I don't know what kind of love you have for Kulikov but whatever.

Listen, young, good skating, top 4 defenseman don't grow on trees in the NHL. Especially with offensive upside. All 30 NHL teams don't sit and watch us every night. Kulikov has a ton of experience but he's playing on a bad team right now. In 11-12 when we were a "good team" he had by far his best season. This proves to GMs that he can perform at a level. Especially when he hit that level at age 21.

If you think his value is low you are kidding yourself, regardless of how he is playing. I never said Kulikov would land us some superstar, but he could easily land us a 20-30 goal scorer, even if we have to add something a little extra.

Teams deal from strength to fix weaknesses. Right now, our glaring weakness is goal scoring. Defense is struggling yes, but Thomas is a wall back there and we seem to be getting by for the most part in that end. We have a boatload of quality defenseman in our system including Matheson, Racine, Petrovic, and Robak. I honestly feel Robak would have the same impact on this team that Kulikov has right now, except with better offensive ability. Robak coughs the puck up just like Kuli, but Kuli is terrible with the puck. He makes awful decisions more often then not.

If you really think we won't get anything of value for Kulikov you are completely out to lunch. Why does it always have to be to a contender? Why is it only driven into your skull that we can trade our players for picks? This isn't some UFA contract expiring, this isn't a washed up old vet, this is a PRIME TRADING PIECE. Teams want players like Kulikov, and the evidence is there when a Simmons for Kulikov swap was universally accepted on the Trade and Rumors board a few weeks ago. Look at a team like the Islanders. They have an abundance of great forwards, but lack a smooth skating, puck moving defenseman. You're telling me Kulikov and change wouldn't fetch us Kyle Okposo? Or we couldn't get a Bonino or Silfverberg from Anaheim?

Listen, I loved Kulikov when he was drafted. I have wanted him to succeed in a Panther uniform for so long, and I thought after the 11-12 season, he was finally taking the next step. Well has only regressed since then and hasn't been the same at all. I feel like our time with him is done. We've had him for 5 years, and he isn't want we want him to be. If he moves to another team and finds his game, that is great, but it likely will not happen here in Florida. He's still at the stage of his career where he can be moved for something of value. Another year or two of this play and his value drops significantly.

It's time to call a spade a spade and realize that Kulikov just isn't going to be what he was supposed to be when drafted, at least not while wearing a Panther uniform.

I expect him to be moved sooner rather than later. He's not a trade deadline type of deal where teams try and tack on players for a last minute cup run. This is a guy who a lesser team might invest in as part of THEIR future. That's fine. But it's time to trade him because his value to this team just isn't there anymore.

I don't know what your saying about a love affair I have for Kulikov. I think my comments about him show I have little "love" for him in the sense that he has seriously regressed since his rookie year and if we are looking to trade him, which i dont, I don't think he can get us a goal scorer of that calibre like mentioned before. What is so controversial about that? In my opinion his current value with NHL gm's (not a trades and rumor message board) is in the whole of his career, Kulikov has regressed since his rookie year and trading him alone he cannot get us a 20 or 30 NHL goal scorer. Thats my opinion. Now if we are adding a forward or a high draft pick then yes we can get a player like that perhaps but I think it is you who is delusional if you think Kulikov's tools and his poor overall play these last 2 years will score us a player that has scored 20-30 goals in this level. By the way do you think if Tallon was offered any of those players you mentioned in a trade for Kulikov straight up that he wouldn't have made that trade already knowing we have depth at D in the organization and a scoring problem on this team?

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
James Neal literally had a 27 goal season and had 21 goal during the season that he was traded when Dallas moved him for Goligoski.

You act like this is something that has never happened before. You really think teams aren't going to take into consideration the talent Kulikov plays with here? Come on man stop acting like all of our players are worthless :shakehead

First of all Kulikov is no Alex Goligoski. James Neal is a 40 goal scorer now with Pittsburgh playing with those guys there and it was a good trade for both teams i guess but your comparing apples and oranges. Kulikov is not of that level and has in fact regressed these last 2 years. I dont think anyone can dispute that. Our players have worth but not as much when looking from the outside. Kulikov has tools and potential but some production has to be there along with improving play to score a player like a James Neal and you have to admit Kulikov hasn't showed that. I wish that Tallon can fleece a GM to do a thing like that but we have to be realistic with the chips we have here. Like I said before I rather keep him and try to work out his problems. It's others who think he should be traded with hopes someone hands us a 20-30 goal scorer for a Kulikov alone.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Kulikov has not regressed every year since his rookie campaign. Like I said, in the 11-12 season he clearly was making strides and has improved. Teams on the outside recognize that we've been a black hole over the last 2 seasons, which would reflect Kulikov's poor stats.

Kulikov still has significant value around the league. Also, in regards to Goligoski, he's been almost as bad as Kulikov this year.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
The guy played like 10 minutes per game and still ended up as a -11 in 18 games. Just because you're fast and can create a scoring chance doesn't mean the player is NHL ready. If that were the case, Jack Skille would be one of the most valuable players in the NHL.
Well um I don't know where that came from. No one said that he was going to be a superstar.

Well I guess Tallon did since he drafted him 7th overall

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov
Panthers source told me that the Panthers aren't actively trying to trade Kulikov. #FlaPanthers

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Looks like the Rangers got a way with a lucky win. Seems like we lose many games were we are the better team.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Harvey Fialkov ‏@hfialkov
Panthers source told me that the Panthers aren't actively trying to trade Kulikov. #FlaPanthers

Which could very well mean they are shopping him. Last thing you want to do is let other teams know you are trying to move a guy.

I think it just all comes down to finding the right fit. Some teams like Islanders are getting pretty desperate, just have to wait and see who flinches first and pulls the trigger.

I don´t think there is really any reason to force a trade since the Panthers really aren´t going anywhere this season. A lot of other teams are in a more desperate situation.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

If I was a fan of a team that needed defense, and we had an abundance of forwards, then no I wouldn't be pissed. It would be addressing a need. A young top 4 puck moving d-man holds relatively the same value as a 20 goal scorer. I'm not counting on Tallon fleecing anybody. I think you're undervaluing Kulikov. Yes, he's played since he was 18, but he still is only 22 years old and in the right situation could definitely turn it around and become a quality d-man. Maybe all he needs is a trade to slap him in the face and make him realize it's time to wake up. Some GM's take chances like that, we all know that. Like I've said, these kinds of trades have happened many times before. When Bob McKenzie wrote that piece about all but 5 Panthers being available, the trade forum was buzzing asking about Kulikov. There's lots of interest in him, and there should be.

I'd even take an underachieving forward with potential back, why not? So what if we've had lots of those types before? Some of them pan out. If we had kept Grabner, or more to the point if Grabner had performed in training camp like he should have, that would have been one of those forwards that would have worked out. What if we keep Kulikov and he doesn't become much better than he is right now? So why not shake things up a little? Even a bluechip scorer in the AHL who's close to the NHL would be fine with me. He could come in next season and I'd be fine with taking my chances with a prospect like that in place of signing a C level UFA.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
what exactly has he done this year that has been sooooo horrendous? or at least in the last couple of games? call me crazy but i thought he's looked a lot better in the last several games. idk. he even mentioned how horachecks style fits him better and i thought it was showing. i also liked it a lot better when he's paired with gudbranson than weaver. he jumps into the play, aggressive on the pinch, great skater, has a physical side, has a good shot as far as power is concerned. is it because he slipped? i don't get the hate for him, i really don't. he's 23. get a proper system in place, and give him a real D partner (not weaver). people saying for certain that he can't improve sounds silly to me. if its the same in 3 or 4 years, then ok, but he just turned 23.

i want to keep him. i guess I'm the only one. if a "without a doubt" top-6 rw can be had, then sure, but if that can't be had, then I'm extending kulikov and keeping him here.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
what exactly has he done this year that has been sooooo horrendous? or at least in the last couple of games? call me crazy but i thought he's looked a lot better in the last several games. idk. he even mentioned how horachecks style fits him better and i thought it was showing. i also liked it a lot better when he's paired with gudbranson than weaver. he jumps into the play, aggressive on the pinch, great skater, has a physical side, has a good shot as far as power is concerned. is it because he slipped? i don't get the hate for him, i really don't. he's 23. get a proper system in place, and give him a real D partner (not weaver). people saying for certain that he can't improve sounds silly to me. if its the same in 3 or 4 years, then ok, but he just turned 23.

i want to keep him. i guess I'm the only one. if a "without a doubt" top-6 rw can be had, then sure, but if that can't be had, then I'm extending kulikov and keeping him here.

He's still giving away the puck too much and he really shouldn't be right now. At this point he should be showing more improvement. He has looked better the last several games, but that was only an improvement on looking bad when Dineen was the coach. What's wrong with Weaver? I thought everyone loved him. Weaver's stay at home style should fit Kulikov pretty well.

I'm not saying for certain that Kulikov can't improve, but he's not improving at the pace he should be at this point. When he's 27 and if he's still playing like this, he's going to have no value.

Make no mistake, if the value on the market isn't there for Kulikov, then I'm fine with keeping him. But I believe it is.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

I think it´s the mental lapses that Kuli has, same as Markstrom had when he was playing. You can´t teach someone out of those things, they just need to figure things out and get their head straight.

Like yesterday, he got tripped up on his own which resulted in a PP for the Rags. I don´t think anyone doubts he can´t skate, in fact he is probably one of the best skaters on the team. Just a mental lapse on his part and the worst thing is that they just keep happening on a constant basis.

He has all the tools but hasn´t been able to put it all together yet. Like you said he is young still but the question really is how long will the Panthers wait for him to figure it out. With his contract coming up I doubt he will be re-signed especially if the rumours are true that he wants a change of scenery.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I would say it will take at least Bjugstad + Kulikov. Kane has not asked for a trade or demonstrated unhappiness.

And before people jump down my throat, I would not do that trade. But that's what it would take.

A lot of speculation of it though throughout the last 1.5 years.

This one from today:
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/28/report-tension-between-jets-and-evander-kane/

Kane would be pretty incredible addition talent wise not sure if he would be a headcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad