GDT: 11/26/14 - 7:30PM EDT - Martin St. Louis' return to Tampa Bay

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He cheats on us and runs off with his mistress and some of you think he deserves to be WELCOMED? What kind of world do I live in.

I dont think of it this way. Sure he left in a bad way and he shouldn't be praised for that. He should be cheered as a member of the Lightning. He gave his heart and soul whenever he hit the ice for us. I think how it all happened is the most bizarre set of events possible. I was shocked when I heard he was actually leaving and yes heartbroken. So i feel like we don't know all of the story. I personally feel like his wife and kids had the most to do with how he left. I think his heart was here but his mind and ego was set on NY.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Sorry, but I still disagree that his actions regarding the trade erase all that he did for this team. People are not 100% wonderful or 100% scum. Even those we call legends. There is NO WAY we know the whole story of why he wanted to be traded to the Rangers. I'm certainly not saying the fans are wrong to be angry about what happened (I know I was [but mostly heartbroken]). But I definitely think that "so long, Marty, and thanks for all the goals" will help the fanbase get over it more than "you SUCK Marty, and we'll NEVER forgive you for decisions you make about your own life."

This team has such passionate fans, which is so great. We love and hate strongly. :) It just tears me apart to see the level of vitriol directed toward Marty, especially alongside the memories of the Cup, and the years of dedication.

I don't think anyone said that, but for now he needs to hear our displeasure. Lets be real there is NO excuse to demand a trade while your team (that your the captain of) is nearing the playoffs. And yes it sucks, its sad, i never in a million years thought Marty would do such a thing to his teammates or fans of 13yrs. I appreciate what he's done for us, but he has lost a lot of respect, sadly he's not who i thought he was. My stepson was a big Marty fan, he asked me last year "what happened to Marty" I had to tell him he didn't want to play here anymore. His response was "but their still playing" needless to say his and my hearts were broken.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
first to me was awesome great fun game:) good job all around def tense at end lol

second really liked some play didnt see much to complain on for once:) bishop big bounce back connolly looked ok killer got another lol callahan had moments stamkos rifle second line should have scored anyway on to the next

MARTY here is the deal stevie based on close reports was more pissed about this situation than in any other of his life. This is a guy who finally had to say get rid of federov a guy who embodies the word CAPTAIN OR LEADER go ask any detroit die hard what they think of stevie how pissed they are he is here and not running things for them?

Steve tried all he could to appease marty well marty SPIT in his face basically so as long as stevie is part of this?

NO VIDEOS NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT NO NOTHING he is not welcome back here either lol not for a very very very very very maybe EVER LONG TIME

me i would boo him but im sooo honestly over it at this point? Its a whatever honestly hope he never gets another run for his selfishness cause he should be on our team right now and we should have had him last year

I think we are better overall without him because of what we got how much we got

cally is younger so works out not sure how the picks will pan out overall but can put stralman and boyle under cally part of equation because of what marty did..

yet he didnt care

he didnt care what we got if anything even one 1st etc.. so yeah dead to me is the word. He would have screwed us had no idea would turn around like this in our favor..

I think that is what fans need to realize

I personally would love if he got introduced and was just silence lol nothing but silence but will be booing I guess.

I just hope we focus and win and keep winning games. Little things like marty? It is a little thing now worked out for the best for the lightning overall kinda like letting vinny go

so big things but seems little now when all that matters is to keep winning get a good spot for playoffs and see what we can do:)

MOVING ON:)

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Was a great game to attend in person. The last 15 minutes had the entire arena on the edges of their seats.

Big props to the Bolts for really playing a strong shutdown game to seal the deal and hold the 1 goal game. That penalty call at the end of the game was just Tampa typical. Gets really old being here and feeling like the refs on a regular basis try and influence the game against us.

In regards to Marty, I think with the last game he is not only going to be motivated to revenge that game, he will be all over his team to show up as well. We better really be ready to play that game, because they will be bringing their A game.

As bad as that whole situation was with Marty leaving, I really feel like there were so many chances for him to make a statement to try send his message to the fans. But instead of doing that, most if not all his comments were backhanded remarks. Things like always wanting to play in a big hockey market etc. While he might have been heart on soul on the ice, he was the least available player to get autographs. He really was the exception to most NHL players and only seemed to sign autographs when required to by the team. In stark contrast to Vinny who almost never refused an autograph.

I say let the Boos rain down!!! Wish I was going to that game to join in on the Boos!

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
With no more games until Wednesday this is going to be the main topic around here either way so here's the PGT.

Let's try and stay nice in this emotional matter!

Last edited:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa
I'll be at Wednesday's game, ready to rain down the boos on him.

I wondered what Sticks of Fire were chanting up there last night. I've gotten to know most of their usual ones and it was new.

BohemianRhandomly

Nov 3, 2014
Section 128
I heard that, too, and wasn't sure what the chant was, either. I say, let it fly when Marty's in the arena. :nod:

Eventually, as years pass, this won't be such an open wound. But the fact is, Marty leaving the club the way that he did WAS a slap in the face to thousands of fans who had supported him when few others would. We adored this guy, placed him up on a very high pedestal, and he pissed on all of that because he was in a snit over an Olympic snub. :shakehead Anyway, point is that this upcoming game is the first time he will set a skate in the arena since he walked out on the Lightning, so emotions are going to be running high. It won't happen every time he plays here going forward; the fans just need to express what they feel, get it off their chests, so to speak. THEN we will be able to move on.

Cigar City

Apr 21, 2012
Tampa
I dont think of it this way. Sure he left in a bad way and he shouldn't be praised for that. He should be cheered as a member of the Lightning.

He will be, but not yet.

That analogy makes absolutely no sense to me. Did he sneak into a Rangers jersey and play for them when he was still on our team? :laugh:

"Steve, only NYR. It's not you, it's me..."

Don't tell me you're one of those 'third base isn't cheating' kind of people! Lol

I heard that, too, and wasn't sure what the chant was, either. I say, let it fly when Marty's in the arena. :nod:

Eventually, as years pass, this won't be such an open wound. But the fact is, Marty leaving the club the way that he did WAS a slap in the face to thousands of fans who had supported him when few others would. We adored this guy, placed him up on a very high pedestal, and he pissed on all of that because he was in a snit over an Olympic snub. :shakehead Anyway, point is that this upcoming game is the first time he will set a skate in the arena since he walked out on the Lightning, so emotions are going to be running high. It won't happen every time he plays here going forward; the fans just need to express what they feel, get it off their chests, so to speak. THEN we will be able to move on.

10/10

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think fans need to vent their frustration on him. Let's boo him and show him we were hurt. After this game though we should finally move on.

As for a tribute video: It's probably wise not to do it next game but maybe some time down the road. He was this franchise's best player, selfish move or not.

Damifino

Dec 23, 2013
FL Keys
I want to hear Louie Louie played after every Tampa Goal. Hoping for a bad MSL turnover that turns into a goal - Louie Louie!

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Imma start booing him right now. Boooooooooooooooooooooooo you tiny little man!!!! Boooooooooooooooooo M-4rty you puny lil traitor!!!! Boooooooooooooooooo .....

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, I don't get the people (Tampa fans, at least) that are taking up for him. We were a playoff bound team, he had just accepted the C, who was playing for over 40 games without their superstar, one of the top teams in the East, and there was no reason to think that Tampa couldn't put together a run. Because of an invitation to an exhibition tournament, that he ended up getting to go to anyway, he turned his back, just as our superstar #1C ended up able to come back. And then, after he left he made a bunch of passive aggressive little jabs toward Tampa, about "finally playing in a real hockey market" and **** like that.

If he had left in the offseason, boos would be much more rare, and I at least would have taken up for him and his decision. In the middle of the season? Saying you don't want to miss your kid's hockey game doesn't make a ton of ****ing sense in the middle of March. He abandoned us during a playoff run - and then we had a nice run of bad luck to really bite us in the ass. **** him.

GN1ug72.gif

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I want to hear Louie Louie played after every Tampa Goal. Hoping for a bad MSL turnover that turns into a goal - Louie Louie!

This! For the love of god this!

I've been waiting for this game since the schedule came out. Will be interesting to see the crowds reaction and his reaction too. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't want to hear the whole arena boo him. Before that trade he probably was my all-time favourite player. Not so anymore. He needs to know how disappointed people are in him.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Lets not forget about all the kids he also let down, that never seems to be brought up.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
BOOOOO.gif

The Lightning fans: Boo. Boo. Boo.
Louis: Why do you do this?
The Lightning fans: Because you had a loving fanbase in your hands, and you gave it up.
Louis: But the GM did not choose me for the Olympics.
The Lightning fans: Your fanbase loved you. And you demand a trade to another. This team saved you in free agency , and you treated it like garbage. And that's what you are, St. Refuse. So cheer him if you want, cheer him. Cheer St. Slime, St. Filth, St. Putrescence. Boo. Boo. Rubbish. Filth. Slime. Muck. Boo. Boo. Boo.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Man, do not throw a jersey onto the ice. It's disrespectful to the front of the jersey more than the name on the back. Just boo the ****er, don't be ****ing idiots.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
What about taking off the nameplate part off the jersey and throwing that. Keep the perfectly fine jersey.

Last edited:

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Man, do not throw a jersey onto the ice. It's disrespectful to the front of the jersey more than the name on the back. Just boo the ****er, don't be ****ing idiots.

No it's not. I guarantee you, no one will think the person meant to disrespect the Lightning if they threw a St. Louis jersey on the ice. No one is disrespecting the Lightning franchise by throwing a St. Louis jersey on the ice. I'm sure Jeff Vinik won't care. With other teams, it's a different story, it sends a message to management. This sends it directly to St. Louis. Assuming it lands on the front side, so you can see his name :sarcasm:

I'd want to see it happen, just to see what happens. Myself, I wouldn't do it, because jerseys are ridiculously expensive. If I could afford it no problem, and lived in Tampa, and went to this game? I'd strongly consider hucking it.

Last edited:

2MinutesforGiraffing

angelsil on safari
Apr 2, 2013
Tampa

I'm not throwing my Marty jersey on the ice because it's signed by 10 players I don't currently want to send to the 9th level of hell. Doesn't mean I don't know someone who is going to throw theirs, though.

T-shirts are fair game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad