GDT: 11/25/18 - 7:00PM EDT - New Jersey vs Tampa Bay

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Cernak makes rookie mistakes. Sergachev is making the same mistakes that Hedman made when he was coming into development. He's got to learn what he can and cannot get away with, otherwise he'll never fully develop. It's like a game of roulette as the coach. You let your d-man develop and pay the price on the short-term, or you limit them and force them to play very, very defensively and never let them develop from an offensive standpoint like Hedman has over the last few years.

Cernak is only 'below' Serg because of his rookie mistakes. You'll see him not read the ice correctly, or make a pass that has you going "WHY?"... He's only played a handful of games, so it's acceptable.

I'd say Cernak is the new "Coburn" without question. Over the next few years he'll be a very solid addition for us.
Yeah, I'm not buying. Doesn't pass the "eye" test. Serge is the one making more rookie mistakes, and he's not the rookie. Nor does he punish his opponents in the same way that Cernak does despite also having good size.

Reactions: mjtm777

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cernak's also out against top lines a lot, being paired with McDonagh. All things considered, this has been a pretty impressive stretch for him. He doesn't look like he needs another minute in the AHL. He just needs NHL reps from here on out.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That puts us back on top of the league. Nashville is likely to move back into a tie with us by the end of the night.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
BE made the very good point near the end of the game that the difference between this years team and last years is that last year with the same kind of lead we would have spent much of that period hemmed in our D zone playing rope-a-dope rather than making good exits when we did get possession. To be honest though, I can't remember if that was a phenomenon of our post January swoon or that's how it was in the early part of last year as well. Anyway, I know it happened a lot and tonight and through the early part of the season it hasn't looked anything like that - for the most part. And, as with seemingly all things Lightning in the early going, I'm sure a healthy McD has a lot to do with it.

Last edited:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Some games feel easy.
It's a theme I keep coming back to, but last year we would have been all puckered up wondering what creative ways we would find to blow the lead or at least let our opponent back into the game and this year I don't have that same anxiety so far. I credit McD for much of that. Heddy is great, but from a purely defensive standpoint, particularly in our own zone, McD is better. Just has a way of settling things down in a way that Heddy doesn't. Heddy has the edge making plays from behind when you think he's beat off the pinch or anywhere speed and reach are required. Maybe the best in the league at that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
BE made the very good point near the end of the game that the difference between this years team and last years is that last year with the same kind of lead we would have spent much of that period hemmed in our D zone playing rope-a-dope rather than making good exits when we did get possession. To be honest though, I can't remember if that was a phenomenon of our post January swoon or that's how it was in the early part of last year as well. Anyway, I know it happened a lot and tonight and through the early part of the season it hasn't looked anything like that - for the most part. And, as with seemingly all things Lightning in the early going, I'm sure a healthy McD has a lot to do with it.

I think the lack of Rick Bowness has a little something to do with it too.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think the lack of Rick Bowness has a little something to do with it too.

That and Halpern is looking like a tremendous hire. Good God the forwards are so hungry out there. It's difficult for me to speculate how his relationship with Stamkos in particular is impacted by the fact they played together but whatever Halpern is selling they are buying. Stamkos these last so many games is more responsible than I have seen in a long time. It's probably got a lot to do with the talent we have but it's incredibly difficult to get everyone playing their best like this.

We're literally rolling lines now and doing it consistently. For as much as Todd Richards has helped us, Halpern is for now, filling in those shoes nicely. I can't help but wonder if he didn't give Stamkos in particular a "come to Jesus" at some point after the Nashville game.

As for Cooper hats off for ending the Stamkos/Kucherov love affair and finding something else that worked better and his deployment of Cernak. I can't ask for more

Last edited:

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
This issue is that Sergachev is a long-term project. If he's not playing, he's not learning. He may not be the best option today but the idea is that in ~5 years he'll be a dominant force. Sitting him for a game here and there is fine but sitting him for awhile would absolutely **** up his development.
Agreed, still have more than half the season to go. I believe Sergachev will find his game one way or another. Might just be a case of getting the monkey off his back. He needs a goal i'm hoping he can find the back of the net soon it would be huge for him.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018

welp I think it's not normal for a guy to get a star with 0 point in an almost blowout game. Maybe they remembered his play last game and wanted to give him a star this time.
Anyway, I appreciate Dom for providing us comic relief lately;

Last edited:

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Cernak makes rookie mistakes. Sergachev is making the same mistakes that Hedman made when he was coming into development. He's got to learn what he can and cannot get away with, otherwise he'll never fully develop. It's like a game of roulette as the coach. You let your d-man develop and pay the price on the short-term, or you limit them and force them to play very, very defensively and never let them develop from an offensive standpoint like Hedman has over the last few years.

Cernak is only 'below' Serg because of his rookie mistakes. You'll see him not read the ice correctly, or make a pass that has you going "WHY?"... He's only played a handful of games, so it's acceptable.

I'd say Cernak is the new "Coburn" without question. Over the next few years he'll be a very solid addition for us.

I completely disagree with you. Sorry to say

Cernak did make some rookie mistakes, but his positive plays out numbered the mistakes. He had a great game today.

Reactions: teddygmr

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Hard to believe they were a playoff team last year. They looked awful.
Last year they were playing on a high. This year they maybe expected too much and just are not working as hard.

The devils can’t afford to not work hard. The don’t have the skill

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Ds5LT4WXcAAipKW.jpg:large

This was after 2 so i have no idea how it changed in the third but i feel like it shows how good Sergachev has been this year. Way better than last year. The points haven't come yet but all the complaining about him is a little ridiculous.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Ds5LT4WXcAAipKW.jpg:large

This was after 2 so i have no idea how it changed in the third but i feel like it shows how good Sergachev has been this year. Way better than last year. The points haven't come yet but all the complaining about him is a little ridiculous.
Your image didn't post so not sure what you are looking at but whatever it was, I think you're missing the point. It's not that Serge has been bad, it's that Cernak has been better and so what do you do when Strals comes back? Either Cernak or Sergachev is going to have to sit. Or maybe even Girardi. Maybe they'll trade off, who knows? Good problems to have in a way but I think most of agree that Cernak has earned a roster spot and should not go back down. Different side shot but the real casualty will be KK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad