Post-Game Talk: 11/23/16 | Canucks 4 @ Coyotes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Still almost a full standard deviation behind #29, lol. ~1 standard deviation behind #28 and #27, and >2 standard deviations behind the mean

Last edited:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
iam gonna be blunt i have not and will not watch a game for more than 5 minutes since willie had burr
take a shoot out attempt.(yes i know whos on fire with a beaut stache) i catch peeks here and there and caught OT of chicago etc.

this coach makes me not a canucks fan. and the gravity of that statement is more than 15+ gf in 10 games ever possibly account for

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
basically the question isnt when will willie be fired.

its will willie be fired if the combined leadership of this team ignores his empty guidiness and manages to succedd with young players taking the reins.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
imagine Nylander + Pastrnak + Tkachuk

instead of Juolevi + Gudbranson/McCann + Virtanen

And that was possible if the hype on Benning being a good scout was true.

Boston, Toronto and Calgary would decline all 3 players for one of theirs

While two of those players (Nylander and Tkachuk) were my preference as well, one does not need to draft the best player at every pick in every draft to merit the distinction of "a good scout". A draft that produces ONE quality core NHLer is a successful draft, particularly by Canucks historical standards. And it is way, way too early to close the door on players like Juolevi and Virtanen.

OT: Quite the game against a wretched opponent. Instead of wondering if the team will continue to be too competitive to truly tank under the watchful eyes of the Sedins, perhaps we should be asking if the team will be too competitive to tank under future captain Bo Horvat. Wasn't it Bo tank-buster Horvat who was on fire through the entire back half last year, stealing us points left and right? I believe it was. And I guess that's where part of me still wants the team trying (and succeeding) at winning sometimes. I don't want Bo's competitive fires quenched by pathological losing.

Nice to see Baertschi finally peeling the monkey off his back as well.

It's odd, because no matter which way the team swings, I'm both winning (either the Nucks are playing well :handclap: or the team is sinking to a higher draft pick and possible regime change :handclap:) and losing (the team is playing poorly :shakehead or rising to a mediocre draft pick :shakehead).

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
After 20 games:

Horvat's on pace for 29-25-54

Daniel's on pace for 25-29-54

Henrik's on pace for 21-29-50

Sutter's on pace for 21-25-46

Loui's on pace for 16-16-32

and Sven is on pace for 8-29-37

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Even without scouting guru Benning, we'd have either Nylander or Ehlers, McCann or Barbashev, and maybe Tkachuk (although who knows where we finish without Benning. Argument could be made we finish higher, argument could be made we trade assets like Hamhuis and Hansen and get Matthews or Laine).

What's seems clear though is that we have almost the worst possible outcome. Yeah things could be worse, but it seems like we've taken the worst option at every point that is even remotely reasonable.

Is there one round now?

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
After 20 games:

Looking at this Horvat is turning into a 1st liner. While the Sedins are trending towards 2nd line status.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Some thoughts:

• Bo Horvat is this team's best forward, now.
  • For $6M, I'd expect a player who can easily hit 65 to 70 points, bare minimum. Loui Eriksson is on pace to finish at about 45 to 50 percent of that mark.
  • For $4.375M, Sutter is on pace to finish with point totals just slightly below my expectations - though at his salary, I'd expect a Jannik Hansen-like impact to go with those point totals. In a perfect world, Hansen's and Sutter's salaries are swapped.
  • A few more capitalized opportunities means we're talking about the possibility of a 15-30-45 or even a 20-30-50 Sven Baertschi.
  • Our team of 50-point-ish flunkies will comfortably send us to the basement, if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited:

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
basically the question isnt when will willie be fired.

its will willie be fired if the combined leadership of this team ignores his empty guidiness and manages to succedd with young players taking the reins.
Forget when Willie will be fired; what's it going to take for Dave Tippett to lose his job? I know his hands are hamstrung by a cheap organization, but he's quickly become that 'good hockey player who signs in the sunbelt, glad to be away from a hockey market and all the pressures to succeed.' The Coyotes make it impossible for a badly mediocre team like the Canucks to ever tank...

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Forget when Willie will be fired; what's it going to take for Dave Tippett to lose his job? I know his hands are hamstrung by a cheap organization, but he's quickly become that 'good hockey player who signs in the sunbelt, glad to be away from a hockey market and all the pressures to succeed.' The Coyotes make it impossible for a badly mediocre team like the Canucks to ever tank...

Story of our life, and why we've NEVER had the 1st OA pick. Someone is always tanking harder than us. Often several someones.

Now there's the lottery to screw us over that extra bit too.

James Underbuss*

Mar 3, 2016
How about them advanced analytics for Arizona though? Looks like they figured out a quicker way to the bottom: Just fill the office with ad-stats kids who who don't watch the actual games.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
nice to see them win a game easily that they should win easily.

observations:

--burrows is the one making the triple b line click. hopefully the other two are learning from him.

--i don't think the canucks can ever be a convincing tight checking defensive team with the sedins. they just do not play defence well enough and they especially cannot clear the puck with possession. this presents an internal contradiction at the heart of willie's gameplan. for 1/3 of the game he is icing forwards who cannot execute what he is telling everyone to do.

--we are at the point where sbisa is consistently playing better than hutton. that may just be a short spell because sbisa is playing well right now, but nonetheless hutton can't find his game. it is a cliche, but he needs to simplify and initiate a more physical style. he's big and mobile enough that he doesn't need to try and out think the forwards on every rush.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Some thoughts:
  • Bo Horvat is this team's best forward, now.
and for the forseeable future.
  • For $6M, I'd expect a player who can easily hit 65 to 70 points, bare minimum. Loui Eriksson is on pace to finish at about 45 to 50 percent of that mark.
  • For $4.375M, Sutter is on pace to finish with point totals just slightly below my expectations - though at his salary, I'd expect a Jannik Hansen-like impact to go with those point totals. In a perfect world, Hansen's and Sutter's salaries are swapped.
Value is a foreign concept to Jimbo as it doesn't make you skate faster, rip the puck better or scrum harder.

• A few more capitalized opportunities means we're talking about the possibility of a 15-30-45 or even a 20-30-50 Sven Baertschi.
Bae tries hard like a young Mason Raymond.

• Our team of 50-point-ish flunkies will comfortably send us to the basement, if you're into that sort of thing.
Gods be willing. Pat please watch over us. :bow:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How about them advanced analytics for Arizona though? Looks like they figured out a quicker way to the bottom: Just fill the office with ad-stats kids who who don't watch the actual games.

Right? Crazy they couldn't turn around a struggling team full of talented but young kids in only 6 months.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
After 20 games:

If the last few years are any indication, the Sedins will slow down and have a worse 2nd half.

But I think Erikkson and Baertschi will both finish with over 40 points.

And Rodin may pick up some of the slack.

While I want the team to play well, my biggest fear is that Benning gets delusions of grandeur and that we aren't sellers at the TDL.

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Intangibles 4 - Analytics 1

My best players on the ice:

Luca "top 4" Sbisa

Bo "first line" Horvat

Sven "Top 6" Baertschi

Alex "Resurrected zombie" Burrows

Ryan "Vezina" Miller

Eric "Beukeboom" Branson

We looked pretty good for a team without Chris "literally the only reason why this team isn't relegated" Tanev.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Soooo, I was thinking. We should try and get Sbisa voted into the all-star game. Think of how much more Vegas would want him as on allstar and how much his salary would seem ok.

#vote4Sbisa

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Soooo, I was thinking. We should try and get Sbisa voted into the all-star game. Think of how much more Vegas would want him as on allstar and how much his salary would seem ok.

#vote4Sbisa

The NHL would probably force us to waive him to the AHL. Which is really the best outcome so yes lets do it.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'Yotes collapse is a cautionary tale....Domi and Duclair struggling mightily in their second seasons....hard to understand why guys who show so much flash in their rookie seasons, seem to hit the wall in the second....unless your name is McDavid, it seems to happen to every young guy all over the league....I know playing rookies is the popular thing around the NHL these days, but in terms of player development, you have to wonder whether it's the best approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad