Post-Game Talk: 11/23/16 | Canucks 4 @ Coyotes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Delete your account, this smells like CDC spillage

What you are smelling, might be future ideas, or it's time to wash your monthly underwear. :)

Seriously though, do you think the Twins will continue to stay our top line?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
imagine Nylander + Pastrnak + Tkachuk

instead of Juolevi + Gudbranson/McCann + Virtanen

And that was possible if the hype on Benning being a good scout was true.

Boston, Toronto and Calgary would decline all 3 players for one of theirs

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

Boom.

Smells perfect.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I'd rather have E.Kane than Vanek... that's how little I think of Vanek.

I actually do think Virtanen should be on LW long-term... if that's what iloveloov meant.

I think that is what he meant.

I can't believe I'm typing and thinking this; but we need Evander Kane.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'd rather have E.Kane than Vanek... that's how little I think of Vanek.

Thats fair, our top line lw will continue to be daniel in any scenerio anyway. I doubt this team will be able to make a splash in free agency this summer due the eriksson contract and raises for rfa's

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Thats fair, our top line lw will continue to be daniel in any scenerio anyway. I doubt this team will be able to make a splash in free agency this summer due the eriksson contract and raises for rfa's

I heard this summer's FA market is pretty pedestrian anyways, is that true

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

If our coach had the foresight to split up the Twins, this might be a nice transition!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good performance although that Coyote team was putrid tonight. Team showed some pride after collapse in last game which is good to see.

- great game for Horvat line. Horvat was everywhere tonight and Burrows continues his outstanding play. Baertschi had a better game against Chicago with 5 SOG and it carried over tonight. Looked like a completely different player from earlier in the year - had jump in his step, looked confident, made plays in traffic. What a Jekyll/Hyde player.

- 3rd line was solid. Eriksson is playing well to carry that line. Chaput continues to look like a possible long-term player.

- 4th line barely played but looked decent when they did.

- Edler had a nice bounce-back game after the Chicago debacle and that pairing did well.

- Hutton led the team in TOI and had his 3rd strong game in a row. Ship seems to be righting there. Gudbranson was solid until he touched the puck.

- Sbisa had one of his best games tonight. Truyamkin really struggled with the puck and Sbisa did a good job covering.

- Miller was solid although the shot count seemed a bit generous.

These 2 games against Arizona came at a perfect time for Willie. Two gift wins against brutal teams probably saves his job for the time being.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Kane - Horvat - Besser

Okay! I'll be the first to say it!

This should be our new top line next year. The league is getting faster, and we are seriously falling behind...

It's time we speed up our thoughts..

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Virtanen is why people should just shut the **** up about "passing up on local kids". I wonder how much the fact he's from BC influenced the pick

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

There may still be room to gain a 6m per player by moving Gudbranson and Dorsett, losing Sbisa to expansion and letting Burrows walk to FA.

I would be targeting RNH right now. He's overpaid. There's risk for EDM in that 2nd line numbers for him do not bode well. Offering Gudrbanson+ would be a good way to take a chance on him.

Chaput continues to look like a possible long-term player.

You think so? Do you project him as a 3C?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Imagine if prospects didn't retire at 20.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Even without scouting guru Benning, we'd have either Nylander or Ehlers, McCann or Barbashev, and maybe Tkachuk (although who knows where we finish without Benning. Argument could be made we finish higher, argument could be made we trade assets like Hamhuis and Hansen and get Matthews or Laine).

What's seems clear though is that we have almost the worst possible outcome. Yeah things could be worse, but it seems like we've taken the worst option at every point that is even remotely reasonable.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Kane - Horvat - Besser

Okay! I'll be the first to say it!

This should be our new top line next year. The league is getting faster, and we are seriously falling behind...

It's time we speed up our thoughts..

We need this.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hard to get excited with a win over the sad sack Yotes but there was good signs in this game. One thing beginning to emerge is that no one is going to out tank Arizona

The Good

Horvat - pretty obvious he was he best player on the ice. Little doubt he is the best center on the team as Henrik time is coming (or has come) to an end. Kinda of wonder if Horvat should be first player up on the PP

Burrows - skating as well as he has in three years. Playing every zone well. Under-rated in terms of smarts.

Miller - absolutely solid. Seems like whenever he gets some rest he is very good

Baertschi - not just that he scored but his skating was excellent. Don't think his season has been as bad as point count and lack goals would suggest. In this game made himself a factor

Tryamkin - with Sbisa formed a effective unit. Both of them went to the body well and kept the play to the outside. They play like this and our back end is not in bad shape. Don't know that Tryamkin (maybe with the exception of Stecher) isn't the best skating d-man. You can see Tryamkin starting to think offense and wanting to do more with the puck. Maybe just scratching the surface with this player.

Gudbranson - very solid throughout most of the game. Is really having to carry Hutton and take on a ton of responsibility. Nice to see someone box out Hanzel and not have him draped all over out goal tender. Think Gudbranson sets a tone around his net that we haven't had for a while.

Eriksson - going through something of metamorphosis. Much more involved and able to find space to make a play. Thought his play making was very good in this game and he is playing with an alertness not shown earlier in the season. Contract is not looking like the disaster it previously seemed.

Chaput - not close to elegant but he is being effective. Skating isn't bad and he is doing a good job of forcing the play. Keep waiting for the bottom to drop out and for Chaput to get exposed but instead he seems to be playing stronger the more time he gets. Maybe a better off-season pick up than anyone thought.

Edler - much better game. Was getting people off the puck and moving it effectively up to forwards Seems to have adopted the role of staying home while Stecher gets more involved up the ice.

Stecher - don't know that he was over -whelming good in this game but you have to love what he brings. He has very high level transition skill. Can pounce on the play and then get it going the other way as well as anyone on the defense. Moreover, can find the holes and openings in the offensive end and gets off his shot quickly. Sometimes you can see him thinking the play (especially offensively) better than most of the vets.

The Bad

Hutton - just a huge sigh. There is just so much wrong right now. Getting beat on some real elementary stuff. Book is obviously out. You get Hutton making decisions at his blue line and he will get confused. All you have to do is to get him puck watching and slip someone behind him. Same thing around the net. Turns his head to see the puck and check slips away. Ends up checking thin air and then chasing the play when puck does get moved. Moreover, doesn't maintain good spacing with his partner. (real contrast to Sbisa and Tryamkin) Ends up right on top of Gudbranson and gives him no place to move the puck or, at other times, moves the puck a short distance to Gudbranson who has already has man right on him. When Hutton goes to the corner gets into too many 50-50 stick checking battles rather than removing man from the play. Could go on but what we are seeing is the inexperienced player we expected to see at the beginning of last season. Right now he is getting schooled in a very tough league. These are lessons he should have learned through experience at a lower level.

Maybe the best is to let Hutton sit out for a bit and let him see the game from the stands. A player like Biega and maybe Larsen is simply better right now. If Tanev is ready then Hutton is the obvious choice to sit. (I know there is left side-right side issue here)

Sedins - maybe some offense but their play in d-zone is just not acceptable. They are leaving the slot wide open and have no ability (especially Henrik) to get anyone off the puck. Give credit to Sutter for trying to cover up but there are shifts when the best you can hope for is a whistle so the coaches can get them off the ice. They are absolutely the worst line (even worst than our 4th line of AHLers) in terms of defense in their end. Sedins don't score then they are definitely a liability right now.

Others

LaBate - pretty much as expected - skated hard and provided physical play along the boards. Didn't se any huge gaffes. Have watched this player all last season in Utica and compared to how he first looked with the Comets there has been a radical improvement. His skating is so much better. I think you hang with this player and hope he can develop his stickhandling and other aspects of his game. If so he brings good size to your 4th line.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

This is why it doesn't matter where we finish. We will draft a bust.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Honestly think some people underrate Hutton and overrate Stecher just because they are a year apart and Stecher is the new thing. When I watch them on the ice, I don't see much separation between them in terms of offensive/defensive ability. Truly think Hutton is just in the sophomore slump.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Well, we need Bo to keep progressing, with Double B on his right next season.

Our new top line, that needs a new top line left wing.

Suggestions?

Boeser, Bo...we just need someone with a last name that starts with G to be the BB Gun line (don't say Gaunce).

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
08b609b571d821ba1112ab49732929eb.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad