Post-Game Talk: 11/22/17 | Canucks 5 @ Penguins 2 | We have a fun team to watch

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Gudbranson was absolutely horrible tonight. Hope the guy is alright, but holy crap I think I would rather have Sbisa than him

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Boeser is giving me Naslund flashbacks. Every time the puck is on his stick in the offensive zone, I'm on pins and needles waiting for the shot.

His celebrations are quite Naslund-Esque as well, in that they're understated to the point of being nonchalant.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
An injury around the time a trade could realistically be expected is never good timing. That you think so is hilarious.
That you think they were going to trade Gudbranson right now is hilarious. It is not happening this early in the season. I do not know extent of injury but if Tanev is ready and the injury is relatively minor it is better for the Canucks right now as they will win more with Guddy out.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
you weren't far off actually.

This is plain ridiculous and wow is he becoming unlikeable

He's overrated and has shown now to be pretty unlikeable.

What a douchebag.

Murray, giving players that aren't your team some credit won't hurt your ego, you know.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
That you think they were going to trade Gudbranson right now is hilarious. It is not happening this early in the season. I do not know extent of injury but if Tanev is ready and the injury is relatively minor it is better for the Canucks right now as they will win more with Guddy out.

While I'd normally be inclined to agree about a trade early in the year, the Canucks were/are staring down the barrel of some interesting decisions on defense. I think it's pretty clear Green has liked Pouliot back there, and he's also a Biega fan. Hard to see him wanting to lose either of them, and his minute distribution to Gudbranson this season doesn't scream that Guddy is one of his favourites either.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Only if we hadn't given away Forsling for an AHL player, this team could actually be a legit playoff contender.

What is the difference between Forsling and Pouliot? Forsling is younger so likely is worth more now but night to night having Forsling vs Pouliot would mean nothing in the standings.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
While I'd normally be inclined to agree about a trade early in the year, the Canucks were/are staring down the barrel of some interesting decisions on defense. I think it's pretty clear Green has liked Pouliot back there, and he's also a Biega fan. Hard to see him wanting to lose either of them, and his minute distribution to Gudbranson this season doesn't scream that Guddy is one of his favourites either.
Agree but he would be inlikely to sit Gudbranson and make him more difficult to trade. Injury is convenient lets team put best lineup on ice.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He's getting better, I think he's been reading this board and picking up some pointers.

Botch actually regularly makes the joke that Green takes a lot of coaching tips from Twitter because he seems to do a lot of moves following fan outrage.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
What is the difference between Forsling and Pouliot? Forsling is younger so likely is worth more now but night to night having Forsling vs Pouliot would mean nothing in the standings.
What's wrong with having both? Weird deflection attempt

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
best part of it all, Canuck's aren't even in their final form. They're missing Tanev who changes the entire complex of our defence.

And, while not as important, Stecher. I'm really pumped to see what he can do this season. If he can replace Edler on that 1st unit PP look out. His puck movement and ability to get a shot through from the point are miles better than any other defenseman on the roster. I remember when he first got going last year he was getting 3+ shots a game until teams started keying in on him. Hoping he takes another step.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
of course having Forsling would be better than nothing but it would mean very little in the standing. Where do you think Forsling would be on our depth chart? Around Stecher better? You missed a good game Pouliot scoring on pp while being matched up vs Sidbey evenstrength. Poster bringing up Forsling in first place was deflection.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
of course having Forsling would be better than nothing but it would mean very little in the standing. Where do you think Forsling would be on our depth chart? Around Stecher better? You missed a good game Pouliot scoring on pp while being matched up vs Sidbey evenstrength. Poster bringing up Forsling in first place was deflection.
I didn't even watch the game and can tell this isn't true

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A few thoughts on the team in general:
1. Goaltending has been outstanding. Both Markstrom and Nilsson have outplayed their opponents most nights.
2. Defense has bent but not broken. Even without Tanev they've performed decently most nights. Would still like to see a few more goals but getting some helpers.
3. The biggest shock has been the scoring. Didn't see that coming at all. Last year was so painful to watch. This year we have scoring threats on most of the lines. Obviously Boeser has been a big part of that but the playing style brought in by Green has also helped a lot.

Still not sold that we can keep this up but picking up 5 out of 6 points in a pretty tough stretch with a back to back is pretty impressive. Eriksson and the Sedins playing better is also a good sign moving forward.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
As in, we move Forsling for someone who can actually play RHD at an NHL level (not Clendening, not Gudbranson) and hell, maybe the Guds mistake doesn't even happen and McCann is either good depth or another piece. Because of the Forsling mistake we ended up losing two blue chippers for nothing, who could be helping the team be a little better with either better-fitting pieces or providing quality depth.

Sure, I'm just bitching way after the fact but it's hard to not lament a trade gone horribly wrong given the tight margins in the playoffs race and our ability to best good teams. But this team isn't good enough to play at a Top 15 level most nights.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I didn't even watch the game and can tell this isn't true
I am bias to others who watched the game was Edler and Pouliot matched against before Gudbranson injury at end of second? Did Pouliot score on pp? Think they show game replays if in doubt.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
As in, we move Forsling for someone who can actually play RHD at an NHL level (not Clendening, not Gudbranson) and hell, maybe the Guds mistake doesn't even happen and McCann is either good depth or another piece. Because of the Forsling mistake we ended up losing two blue chippers for nothing, who could be helping the team be a little better with either better-fitting pieces or providing quality depth.

Sure, I'm just *****ing way after the fact but it's hard to not lament a trade gone horribly wrong given the tight margins in the playoffs race and our ability to best good teams. But this team isn't good enough to play at a Top 15 level most nights.

okay I respect that you want team to make playoffs, I just think you can not blame hypothetical playoff miss on obvious mistake but relatively minor move. It was a bad move it was like we found money with 5th round pick then gave it away. However I imagine if the Pens do not win the cup they will not be blaming the trade of Pouliot. I definitively do not think they will be lementing this trade after a regular season that they won convincingly in the game thread.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

All I know is you can see Forsling was clearly happier in Vancouver than Chicago (below), so who knows how good he would have been?

gustav-forsling-of-the-vancouver-canucks-poses-for-his-official-for-picture-id456394434
Gustav-Forsling-bio.jpg

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
okay I respect that you want team to make playoffs, I just thin
k you can not blame hypothetical playoff miss on obvious mistake but relatively minor move. It was a bad move it was like we found money with 5th round pick then gave it away. However I imagine if the Pens do not win the cup they will not be blaming the trade of Pouliot. I definitively do not think they will be lementing this trade after a regular season that they won convincingly in the game thread.

Someone mentioned trading Forsling has a trickle down effect that led to the Gudbranson trade, through the two trades we threw away a promising young D prospect, a 1st round pick, and a 2nd round pick. And we end up with...Gudbranson and Clendening.

GM's are not perfect, they make mistakes (unless if you're Yzerman haha), that much people understand. But as mistakes start piling up, and getting more severe, the GM's really shortening his shelf life.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Yzerman has made a few as well if they drafted Seth Jones instead of Drouin maybe he has a cup already. Connelly was not a great pick. Thing is Yzerman traded both those for good value.
Benning seems to be improving. on game related note Gaunce is looking really good. I make fun of his goalless streak but he will score a fair amount if he keeps playing like this. I believe the Dorsett injury happened at the right time for Gaunce. Hope Green does not overplay that line like he did the shutdown line. Games are more exciting and team can win them. I think the line matching at home is to blame for bad record and lack of scoring. Starting Dorsett on offensive faceoffs at home is not a way to score a lot of goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00