Post-Game Talk: 11/22/17 | Canucks 5 @ Penguins 2 | We have a fun team to watch

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
That you think they were going to trade Gudbranson right now is hilarious. It is not happening this early in the season. I do not know extent of injury but if Tanev is ready and the injury is relatively minor it is better for the Canucks right now as they will win more with Guddy out.

Do you have some insider knowledge? No. So how do you know it can't happen this early? You don't. There was a tweet 2 days ago about more than 8 teams having scouts at the game. Another by Brough 3 days ago citing multiple teams with interest. Another specific one about TOR interest and then yet another tying the Canucks to NYR, MTL and OTT to the Canucks -- all looking for Dmen via other rumours. There's too much smoke out there to take your position seriously -- But let's hear why you think it's good for an active Dman to be injured when they need to convert the asset value he represents. Go on.

Injuries are never good. You're way off in saying that, Tanev returning or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peen and y2kcanucks

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
you weren't far off actually.

This is plain ridiculous and wow is he becoming unlikeable

Haha Murray thinks the goals were hilarious? What a total tool.

He's overrated and has shown now to be pretty unlikeable.

What a *****ebag.

Murray, giving players that aren't your team some credit won't hurt your ego, you know.

If you watched the clip, he was specially referring to Kessel having the puck hit the broken stick play...

Which it was.

Edit... sorry.. he called all goals hilarious, but specially gave the Ericsson goal as the example he was talking about. which it seems he projected on the rest of them..

Im sure he's very well aware how salty Canuck fan was with him after the lucky hat trick... probably intentionally held back on giving Boeser any due.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Do you have some insider knowledge? No. so how do you know it can't happen this early? You don't. There was a tweet 2 days ago about more than 8 teams having scouts at the game. Another by Brough 3 days ago citing multiple teams with interest. Another specific one about TOR interest and then yet another thing the Canucks to NYR, MTL and OTT to the Canucks -- all looking for Dmen via other rumours. There's too much smoke out there to take your position seriously -- But let's hear why you think it's good for an active player to be injured when they need to convert the asset value he represents. Go on.

Injuries are never good. You're way off in saying that, Tanev returning or not.

There's also rumor that a certain Albertan team is seeking D.

I can't imagine the hilarity of a "negotiation" between Chia and Benning lmao.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
If you watched the clip, he was specially referring to Kessel having the puck hit the broken stick play...

Which it was.

I watched the clip, it sounds like he said "pretty much all the goals they got were hilarious."

Maybe I misheard? The acoustics is kinda...ass in that clip.

Reactions: DL44

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I think Ganuce has been 1 of the most pleasant surprise so far, I really like his game this year.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks have beaten the SC champs in both games this season...Cant imagine what most hockey fans would have said if you suggested that to them in September..?...Who'da thunk it.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good

Edler - played near half the game and was huge round his net. Elite when he plays like this.

Nilsson - most important factor in winning the game. Our goaltending is excellent. Swedes driving each other.

Sutter - best player. Again skated miles and really held his line together as well as great PK work

Boeser - really continues to amaze. Has fundamentally changed the nature of the team

Biega - played like a "bulldog" tonight. Tenacious on defense and helped to create some offense with good passes out of his zone. Made a couple of crucial clearances from around his net.

Hutton - defense faced a lot of pressure and players like Hutton responded well. Has greatly improved his play around his net from last year.

Virtanen - I saw nothing but positives out of Virtanen. On many shifts was retrieving the puck and making the right play for scoring chances. Broke up plays and facilitated good line changes with smart dumps. Trouble is he is getting limited time and is playing with real slow players in the Sedins who get limited time.. I thought they were dragging him down rather than the other way around.

Vanek - he is not a good skater. But he is still effective. Giving what he got in terms of breaking up plays and sure knows what to do around the net. His facial expressions after plays that don't quite work out are classic.

Not Good

Gudbranson - got better in the second but started the game very poorly and was giving up huge chances. Bailed out by Nilsson. On the negative side with both him and Dorsett out team has lost a lot toughness.

Gagner - His line was in huge problems through the late part of the first and the second period. Spent most of every shift tied up in their zone chasing the puck. Only real good play of some defensemen and Sutter was keeping them afloat. Thought the major problem was Gagner and his inability to get the puck out or keep up with the play. Another game where he did very little offensively.

Sedins - just too slow. Play in their own zone is simply not good enough and hasn't been for a long while. (perhaps Willie's greatest mistake was giving these guys way too much quality ice time). On the PP they often moved the puck too slowly and have dreadful problems gaining the zone. Others like Boeser want quick movement and the Sedins want to slow it down. Thought they had very weak games and way to often they fumbled the puck away.

Others

Eriksson - his effort has definitely increased. Still lugging at times and not always getting too loose pucks or breaking fast enough to produce offense. Still, did good work on the PK and is doing a better job of understanding and buying into the game Green wants to play. Much more of positive than in the past.

Gaunce - still showing no ability to put chances away. However, he is getting chances and if he can maybe get the monkey off his back and relax a bit should begin to score some . Gaunce once again showed he is a good positional player and is able to force the play. In this game had trouble getting the puck out of his end at times and this needs to improve. Moving the puck to Sutter for EN goal showed Gaunce is smart and classy enough to make the right play.

Del Zotto - started the game strongly but then seemed to get running around a bit - especially in his own end.

Pouliot - can see why he was good at Junior in terms of reading the play and moving the puck. Just needs to gain a step or two and get a little more ahead of the play to be a very solid offensive player at this level. Only major fault I saw in this game was tendency to be a tad slow in moving the puck and ending up getting in puck battles in his own end. Also got bumped off the puck on some shifts. I just think he needs to be a little quicker in reacting. Nice that he could go back to Pittsburg and score

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Vanek - he is not a good skater. But he is still effective. Giving what he got in terms of breaking up plays and sure knows what to do around the net. His facial expressions after plays that don't quite work out are classic.
I went to a game a few weeks ago and sat a couple rows behind the bench.. he would literally come back to the bench pissed off after every shift. For all the F bombs I heard, he probably accounted for half of the team's

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I went to a game a few weeks ago and sat a couple rows behind the bench.. he would literally come back to the bench pissed off after every shift. For all the F bombs I heard, he probably accounted for half of the team's

His passion and compete levels have been outstanding.

For someone advertised as someone who doesnt care, he's been anything but that player.

And hey... 5 game point streak!

Verbalyst

Jan 9, 2007
Buffalo, NY
His passion and compete levels have been outstanding.

For someone advertised as someone who doesnt care, he's been anything but that player.

And hey... 5 game point streak!

The "Lazy Thomas" narrative I felt was always unjustified. I think visually his long strides make it appear that he doesn't skate as hard but he can make up space rather quickly. He's always been honest and accountable for himself. He's just a player that when his confidence wavers it shows in his play.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I believe Kesler watched a video on Crosby and it inspired him to work on his shot all summer. Gaunce needs to do the same thing

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Canucks are playing extremely hard under Coach Green. He's getting a lot from this team. And it really seems like everyone on the team gets along.

Boeser- what more to say, he's a pure sniper. You give him a clean look and he's almost unstoppable.

Baertschi- Not only is he making plays offensively, his defensive awareness is maturing. One play, he skated miles to come back and poke a puck away from the high slot.

Sutter, Gaunce - Potentially 2/3 rds of a very good checking line. Gaunce is so smart. Yeah his finish is clearly lacking. Watch him forecheck and he almost always takes the shortest route. Turns a lot of pucks over and can develop into a very good 2 way player.

Vanek- quietly producing at a very good rate. Just really skilled. Yeah he's never going to win the selke, but this signing has really increased our team's skill level when he's playing in our bottom6. The main offense facilitator on our 2nd pp unit.

Eriksson - like I said in another post, even though the signing was a mistake, he can still be a useful player. When he's playing with pace and going to the net, another luxury to have in your bottom 6.
Both Vanek/Eriksson used to be 1st line players, now in our bottom 6. Canucks offensive depth underrated.

Defense:

Edler- Got to give him some credit, been better in the last 2 games. Battle level is higher. Still too slow to pucks. Basically everything is a bit too slow with this player. And overcompensates by trying to play goalie. That blast by Boeser was a hell of a shot, but the pass from Edler was placed right in his sweet spot.

Pouliot - Clearly needs work defensively especially along the boards. But his ability to make plays with the puck and ability to create offense is very good. I think if you pair him up with a very stable (not Edler) dman on the left side, he has potential to be a consistent top 4.

Hutton- I see posters suggesting we trade this player. I think that will be a big mistake. Just a horse back there. Yeah he still makes mistakes but its much less than when he was a rookie. The fact he's able to keep his head above water playing with Gudbranson is impressive. 6'3 and skates like the wind. This player has a lot of upside. Imo, you pair Hutton with Tanev for the future, and if Hutton's offensive game breaks out, could be an excellent pairing.

MDZ- he was very good earlier in the season, but last few games the bad MDZ is showing up. Still moves the puck well, but quite a bit of mental mistakes.

Biega- he's always decent. His motor never stops and he's perfect as a bottom pairing or 7th D.

Nilsson - perfect definition of a good "blocking" goalie, literally blocks pucks by being a giant. Deserves more starts.

Reactions: Knight53

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
There was a Tweet on Vanek that I found both apt and hilarious. I can't find it, but it was something to the effect of - "Vanek coming off the ice is like the Dad that just ran out of propane for the BBQ at his son's birthday party". I didn't realize he was quite this fiery/competitive when we signed him. I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00