GDT: 11/18: Boston Bruins @ Carolina Hurricanes - 7PM ET - NESN, 100.7 WZLX FM

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
To all those talking about the PP, after watching this team's PP for the last 3 or 4 years I'll take 'inconsistent' or 'Jekyll & Hyde' as long as they're trending upward and not just spinning their wheels. They're taking strides and hopefully they can become more effective as the year goes on because it adds another element to the offense.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Marchand has been brutal for months.

Caron has never brought scoring or hitting to this team, and never will. Not sure how he still gets chances to show his lack of talent.

it's tough to play with a chip on your shoulder when you know you don't have one; you can still see Marchand has skills but there are so many odd fall downs, bad passes. There is almost a trick or treatish element to his game these days

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Had to watch the game through a brutal stream tonight so I really can't comment on how they played because it was far too choppy. Glad to see them pick up the win though

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I don't want to see Marshmont traded. I wonder what his friggin' problem is...

I hate to say it, but if he doesn't turn things around, don't be surprised to see him gone at the deadline. The thought of having to face a pest like him scares the hell out of me though. I really want his game to improve so he can stick around.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I hate to say it, but if he doesn't turn things around, don't be surprised to see him gone at the deadline. The thought of having to face a pest like him scares the hell out of me though. I really want his game to improve so he can stick around.

I would not want to go into the playoffs without Marchand, as frustrating as he is to watch I think I would give him a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs. As long as the team is playing well,he gets a bit of a grace period from me largely due to his heroic play against Vancouver in 2011

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Great win by the Bruins, and on the road too.
Kind of a weird play giving up that goal late in the 1st.
But they rebounded from it and played strong to finish off the game.

Gotta say I am impressed with how the Yeti is coming along. And Reilly Smith just continues to show that he belongs on the ice!

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Third line really buzzing tonight. Was hoping they'd get another one. They deserved one.

I missed the reason why Thornton wasn't playing. Injury? Scratch?

Edit: nvm, I just saw on the Globe page. Healthy scratch. Interesting.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Marchand is having a rough year. It happens sometimes. Not all players careers progress in an upward trend statistically. A lot of players have a down year every so often ( see: Ovechkin ).

What you've got to do is step away from the microcosm and look at the big picture. He's a 25 year old two way forward with a lot of playoff experience and fits in well with the culture and team. Unless something drastic happens where he's a distraction to the team, he'll stay and they'll let him work out his on-ice issues.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Yeah, the Bruins always try to get ahead of things. Scary for Marchand. Chia has an itchy trigger finger. Haha. They dont wait. Ill be disappointed if hes moved. A quality well rounded pest is hard to come by.

Im not going to worry about it.

Whats the record for consecutive penalty kills, anyway?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah, the Bruins always try to get ahead of things. Scary for Marchand. Chia has an itchy trigger finger. Haha. They dont wait. Ill be disappointed if hes moved. A quality well rounded pest is hard to come by.

Marchand might need some time with Campbell and Thornton to find his game.

HE was hands down our best forward last year during the regular season up until his concussion. Hope he regains his form soon.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
Brick made a good point though - empty net goals signify that your coach trusts you in a critical situation: protecting a lead.

I'm constantly amazed at Milan's ability to almost will the puck away from people, just an incredible combination of drive, brute strength and skill.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
There's no excuse for Marchand's poor play. If they benched Looch last year for poor play then they need to do the same with Marchand.

The best part is we have the flexibility to move some guys around without losing the ability to roll 4 lines.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think moving Marchand to the 4th where he can play north/south, crash and bang hockey may be good for him.

I think Yeti can play with Bergy and Pie will do fine with Kelly and Smith.

But Marchand seems lost right now and half the time I think he is trying too hard-several of his turnovers were more from trying to force something that wasn't there than lazy play.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I think moving Marchand to the 4th where he can play north/south, crash and bang hockey may be good for him.

But Marchand seems lost right now and half the time I think he is trying too hard-several of his turnovers were more from trying to force something that wasn't there than lazy play.

It would be much easier to hate on him if he were sucking that way.

This cant be all because of losing his bench buddy?

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I think you're right. You play badly, you press and try to do too much,which leads to more errors, and it turns into a vicious cycle. He's played on the fourth line before, and it might help him get back to simplifying his game.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Marchand is having a rough year. It happens sometimes. Not all players careers progress in an upward trend statistically. A lot of players have a down year every so often ( see: Ovechkin ).

What you've got to do is step away from the microcosm and look at the big picture. He's a 25 year old two way forward with a lot of playoff experience and fits in well with the culture and team. Unless something drastic happens where he's a distraction to the team, he'll stay and they'll let him work out his on-ice issues.

Rough is being kind...he`s been awful

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

I doubt it, the Bruins have shown patience in the past with players they consider major core players and that's what Marchand is.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I would not want to go into the playoffs without Marchand, as frustrating as he is to watch I think I would give him a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs. As long as the team is playing well,he gets a bit of a grace period from me largely due to his heroic play against Vancouver in 2011

Same here. I don't move Marchand this year unless it's a great return. Let him work through it, see what he does in the POs, and then if you're still left wanting more from him, look at moving him in the off season.

Also didn't think he was all that bad last night. He's certainly had worse games this season.

Strange that the Boychuk goal is unassisted... Thought for sure Krejci and Lucic would get assists on that goal. Certainly wouldn't happen to Crosby...

Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Chia will send him to San Jose where he knows regardless of how great a regular season they have, he`ll not ever face em in the finals:sarcasm:;)

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011

Philosophy is better to trade a guy too early, than too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad