Post-Game Talk: 11/12/19 | #16 penguins @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Trotz was the coach we'd be 12-0-0 in that time.
In case you haven't noticed and judging by the ratings, you haven't, the Ranger have been slowly moving up the charts....

Trotz? Forget it. If they had Quennvile, they would be 12.5-0.

Few comments:

1) Right up until Lindgren engaged with Malkin, I was going to comment that I have been a bit disappointed in that aspects of his game this year. He has been steady as a rock, but I have not noticed some of the pugnacity. But good to see it.
2) In conjunction with the above point, overall the Rangers defense makes it way too easy for the opposition. No one is screaming for a return of Jay Wells or Derian Hatcher, but they need to be more physical and engage more when the opposition is driving to the net or setting up around the net.
3) I do not have many issues with Quinn, but admit am a bit incredulous that Howden and Andersson have not even been flipped for as much as a game.
4) The team does great with getting the puck 200 feet away and making the opposition come the entire way to attack, but they seem not to emerge with the puck very much for as deep as they get it. The opposition's defense has it very easy to retrieve. Meanwhile, it seems that the Rangers D gets pounded every time the go back to get the puck.
5) Georgiev is going to force the issue with the Rangers.
6) Youth is served. Fox looks great and Kakko is gaining more and more confidence. Sure there will be ups and downs, but great to see.
7) The time in Hartford served Chytil very well. He looks like he is here to stay.
8) Speaking of Kakko, keep him with Lemieux for now. The two look to have chemistry on the ice.
9) Is it just me or is Lindgren & Fox the most dependable defensive pair for the Rangers?
10) Is Quinn still an idiot? Did he graduate to moron? Or maybe just stupid?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Every single point in this game from rookies or veterans who are part of the future. Hopefully we get a high draft pick but you have to love a game like this. This was the best game of the season because of that.
I think we’re still getting a top-10 pick. If it’s a good draft that could be plenty.

Reactions: jas

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mentioned in his player thread burn I’ll say it here again. He’s got a lot of Brian Leetch in him.
That is a very lofty comparison for a rookie. Let's see how things develop. Having said that, am loving what I am seeing out of him.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
Lindgren has really been great... Exactly what the team needs. Plays physical but he's also quick and solid with the puck. It's awesome.

Biggest thing will be getting Mika back. That will push Howden down and that's the way we need it to be.

I'm still for keeping Panarin and Mika separate though. Just happen to think that both are so good, it doesn't matter who their linemates are and that they are going to create offense. Especially Breadman. The guy RARELY makes the wrong play. Vision is just sick. What I love too is that his style and what makes him good will not leave with age. He'll lose a step on the ice, but his vision is what's going to keep him from ever being dead weight.

This was Fox's game though. Kudos to him. Better than anyone could have imagined i think.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I understand the idea that mika and Panarin don’t need each other but again when you are up against top lines in this league everyone has a big time top line these days. We can’t keep forcing Strome and Fast against those types of players. We need our own monster top line to keep pressure off of our defense and put the opponents on their heels for a change.

the second line is awesome no reason to touch it. Load up the top line. Panarin Mika and Kakko who I think with those two guys is ready for it. I don’t think he looks back at this point.

play Lemieux Strome and Fast as a real solid third line that can chip in offensively and play steady.

then put Howden smith and Mckegg on a crash 4th line. Let them use their speed to forecheck and do what they do.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kakko now sits second in goals among rookies, and tied for 8th in scoring with Adam Fox.

Additionally, I believe Lindgren is in the top-5 for plus/minus.

Guy ahead of him is like what 24 25 years old buffalo kid right?

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
He has an aggressive hockey instinct, always looking to make a play. Sometimes, flipping it to safety is the best play.

Watching his game he has no aggressiveness in going after the player with the puck. There was a play in the third period where he looked just lost--almost afraid to make a bad play--should I go or should I stay. Maybe he's afraid he'll be benched again. I'm not saying he has to run everyone but he's timid when it comes to going behind the net.

Also I agree with the above he does wait way to long to get rid of the puck when players are around him. Again part of this is the I can't make a bad play Theory. Ruff needs to teach Brady hard around the boards is not a bad thing. Maybe a few times not holding on to the puck will instill some confidence and the other players will think twice.

Personally I like Brady he's not a bad skater and has a good shot-- obviously the Rangers see something in him given him the long term deal he just needs to get back to the basics aka hockey 101 for defenseman play with some confidence not thinking the puck is a hand grenade.

This is all easier said then done and maybe he goes in a trade somewhere down the road. 2 years ago who would have thought we had so many Dman ready to replace him think about it for a second--he's been pasted by Trouba, ADA, Fox, Libor, Lindgren. We've got Miller, Royov,Robertson plus a few more whom might turn out all coming.

The Rangers need to build this kid up worst case contract wise and player wise there's value

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
the second line is awesome no reason to touch it. Load up the top line. Panarin Mika and Kakko who I think with those two guys is ready for it. I don’t think he looks back at this point.
For right now, I do not move Kakko away from Lemieux. Not sure if it is coincidence or not. but his play improved with Lemieux as a linemate. His confidence has grown. It is working. Why break what is not broken? Not to mention that Strome seems to have chemistry with Panarin.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
For right now, I do not move Kakko away from Lemieux. Not sure if it is coincidence or not. but his play improved with Lemieux as a linemate. His confidence has grown. It is working. Why break what is not broken? Not to mention that Strome seems to have chemistry with Panarin.

I mean other than the goal last night they haven’t done anything as a line 5 on 5. So yes they like each other obviously but there hasn’t been that much chemistry there. I can promise you he’ll show more chemistry next to Panarin. Everyone does

Reactions: akmuo33

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Panarin is a player who can bring the puck to the zone, he’s a player who can do it all.
I feel like him and kakko would/will be a scary duo.
Ngl you could throw smith in the middle and he would be over 0.5 ppg.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The thing is, that 3rd line is getting killed defensively. Maybe Andersson would help as the center, but the only other option is moving Kakko to the 1st line and moving Fast with Lemieux and Howden.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I mean other than the goal last night they haven’t done anything as a line 5 on 5. So yes they like each other obviously but there hasn’t been that much chemistry there. I can promise you he’ll show more chemistry next to Panarin. Everyone does
Annnnd......No.

The presumption that you can just plug somebody next to an elite player and no one will miss a beat is one of the more inaccurate assumptions one can make. Not EVERYONE could make passes to Panarin like Strome can and does. Not EVERYONE automatically gells next to such players. Kakko looked awful when auditioning on the top line. He looks to have comfort and confidence since being moved down and playing on a line with Lemieux. Coincidence? Maybe. But why mess with something and try to ram Kakko into a role he may not be ready for yet? He is building confidence and producing. Why would you be willing to mess with that? Young players are given bigger roles as they a) earn them and b) are ready for them.

Not all players meshed with Gretzky as center. Not everyone will simply gel with Panarin. Right now, he has someone that is and that someone is not an elite player. Again, why mess with that?

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I watched the OT goal replay again and, wow... serious case of Malkin controller disconnection there.

Couldn't happen to a nicer player.

NFN but what a fookin play by Fox. I watched the replay 4 times just to watch his head. He doesn't look at Kakko until the puck leaves his stick.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Annnnd......No.

The presumption that you can just plug somebody next to an elite player and no one will miss a beat is one of the more inaccurate assumptions one can make. Not EVERYONE could make passes to Panarin like Strome can and does. Not EVERYONE automatically gells next to such players. Kakko looked awful when auditioning on the top line. He looks to have comfort and confidence since being moved down and playing on a line with Lemieux. Coincidence? Maybe. But why mess with something and try to ram Kakko into a role he may not be ready for yet? He is building confidence and producing. Why would you be willing to mess with that? Young players are given bigger roles as they a) earn them and b) are ready for them.

Not all players meshed with Gretzky as center. Not everyone will simply gel with Panarin. Right now, he has someone that is and that someone is not an elite player. Again, why mess with that?
I disagree, I think you could put a trash can with Panarin and he’d make it work. He’s so well-rounded and consistent...pass, shoot, retrieve the puck, carry the puck, everything.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing is, that 3rd line is getting killed defensively. Maybe Andersson would help as the center, but the only other option is moving Kakko to the 1st line and moving Fast with Lemieux and Howden.
That is fine. I would not mess with Kakko just as he is getting his confidence going. I would love to see Andersson get moved up and Howden to get moved down a line.
I disagree, I think you could put a trash can with Panarin and he’d make it work. He’s so well-rounded and consistent...pass, shoot, retrieve the puck, carry the puck, everything.
Also fine. Certainly not a crazy take. But again, history has shown us that simply plugging in players next to an elite player does not always work.

In short, Strome is working well with Panarin. Our 18 year old rookie is showing confidence and production on a line with Lemieux. I see no reason to mess with any of it.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Annnnd......No.

Annnnd......No.

first off coulda done without the attitude but frankly Panarin has shown chemistry with everyone. So yes putting him next to literally anyone (he’s playing with 2 bottom 6 guys right now) will show chemistry. He and Mika and Buchy showed tons of chemistry.

secondly the first and 3rd lines are not working. That is false. They are surviving. The metrics all show them hanging on for dear life. Panarin and his line have been extremely opportunistic but they’ve been buried repeatedly.

The third line has not produced anything outside of that goal yesterday. Kakko has been producing on the PP and in OT. This idea that he and Lemieux have this chemistry just isn’t true. They spend most of their shifts in the d zone.

the idea of taking some pressure off him to get him going has definitely worked but it definitely doesn’t mean it should continue long term. He’s a high end player and should be playing with high end players.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
That is a very lofty comparison for a rookie. Let's see how things develop. Having said that, am loving what I am seeing out of him.

Right- I totally agree that I don't expect him to one day turn into Brian Leetch-- that's an absurd expectation. I mean he has the attributes of a Leetch and seems to think and play the game in a similar way. That's where the comparison begins and ends for now and we can only hope he one day has the stats and accomplishments Leetch had.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Right- I totally agree that I don't expect him to one day turn into Brian Leetch-- that's an absurd expectation. I mean he has the attributes of a Leetch and seems to think and play the game in a similar way. That's where the comparison begins and ends for now and we can only hope he one day has the stats and accomplishments Leetch had.
Ahh...got it

JHS

Oct 11, 2013

I think having Lemieux with Kappo has opened up the ice a bit for Kappo. Lemieux is a guy the draws players to him on the ice either because of their desire to "get him back" for some taunt or something like that and because Lemieux's presence on the ice sort of acts as a protector for Kappo.. Also, Lemieux is a tremendous fore checker and he can go work the puck out of the corner pretty quickly. I think this has allowed Kappo to have the puck on his stick more often and that's really helped his game. This may be a stretch but it's kind of like why Kevin Stevens worked well Mario Lemieux-- Kevin was not a great stick handler or anything but he could work the puck out of the corners and along the boards an get it on the stick of Mario who then could work his magic!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad