Proposal: 10th ovr to Detroit

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
From a pure value standpoint, Wings will need to add more to AA to move up 15ish spots in the first.

At best, I can only see other teams offering a 2nd for AA alone, which ain't gonna cut it to move up that much.

Last edited:

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
I'm thinking AA + VGK 1st round pick + whatever other picks (that aren't a 1st) needed to get the trade done going back to EDM. EDM gets faster and still gets a 1st round pick in a deep draft. Detroit gets another top 10 pick to quite possibly draft 2 highly projected defenseman. Is that enough? If not what would it take from Det other than Larkin/Mantha.

Would rather not drop 20 spots in the draft for a guy we could get for much less.

Hawaiibros

May 18, 2017
Ok, sooo
VGK 1st
Mantha
For
Puljujarvi

Detroit does it for a solid prospect(hopefully Hughes/dobson/kotkoniemi/smith) and a big boom/bust player. Edmonton does it for a young 1st line line winger and they still get a 1st

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ok, sooo
VGK 1st
Mantha
For
Puljujarvi

Detroit does it for a solid prospect(hopefully Hughes/dobson/kotkoniemi/smith) and a big boom/bust player. Edmonton does it for a young 1st line line winger and they still get a 1st

What? Uh, no, thanks. Mantha’s good, and ok value for 10th, but a low 1st for Puljujarvi ain’t happening.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not saying expect a major point surge, but certainly can see improved performance from this year. I actually watched the games and have seen his usage in-game, not just box scores and compiled stats. He was the player that saw his role fluctuate more than anyone, playing time up and down the roster. There were games where he was on the 4th line with Frk because Blashill opted for 7 defensemen and the result was Larkin double shifting out with Athanasiou and Frk. He has never had a defined role and it has never been consistent. After this year, I think he would be better served with a team looking for help at forward that actually has something in mind for him other than playing odd man out. I could care less who it is, it would be best for his career.

I can’t see him getting any better treatment here to be honest. Again, it looks like he got decent linemates and decent ice time. He’d be competing against a better player in RNH for the McDavid LW spot and what will hopefully be an angry, hungry Lucic for the Draisaitl LW spot. McLellan doesn’t do favours for 23 year olds and gift them gravy spots. If AA’s effort level has been inconsistent - as another poster insinuated - then he’s just as likely to find himself on the 3rd line with Strome, battling for PP time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Counter:

10th, Yamamoto, Kemp.

For Mantha?

That’s a negatory big rig. He had 48 points, not 48 goals. :laugh:

10th + Yamamoto is a monster overpayment, one we’d be stupid to give up.

Long term I’ll happily take Yamamoto + whichever defenceman falls.

And stop being wise on Kemp. He’s hardly some toss-in.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
For Mantha?

That’s a negatory big rig. He had 48 points, not 48 goals. :laugh:

10th + Yamamoto is a monster overpayment, one we’d be stupid to give up.

Long term I’ll happily take Yamamoto + whichever defenceman falls.

And stop being wise on Kemp. He’s hardly some toss-in.

And Kemp gets by everyone else but you.

Ok. 10th plus Kemp. :)

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Counter:

10th, Yamamoto, Kemp.
Okay, point taken. Didn't really know what the '+' would be with the 10th overall pick. Now I think about it, my offer was too low and there's not much point in the Wings trading him unless they get an offer they can't refuse. But yeah I doubt we pay that much. Think we'll just bank on Yamo and Pulju having solid years, and take a blue chip D prospect which we badly need with our 10 overall. Maybe add a cheap vet if we have the cap space. And I'm sure the Wings will be just as happy to keep Mantha, who looks to be a keeper and a long term fixture in the rebuild as a scoring winger.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
To me AA seems more like the kind of guy you trade a pick and a prospect for, 2nd and a c prospect or 3rd and a b prospect rather than someone you take as part of a package for a top asset or high pick.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I feel like we can negotiate a basis around AA + VGK 1st + for the 10th overall pick. Since Detroit is rebuilding, I would assume adding a 2nd round pick from Detroit would be a no from Detroit fans. I would be interested in adding Luke Glendening to the trade to solve the Oilers penalty kill problem + 4th line center. And I wouldn't mind acquiring Tyler Bertuzzi in the trade to be 4th/3rd liner for us.

AA + VGK 1s + Glendening+ Bertuzzi + 2018 3rd (Pittsburgh)?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I feel like we can negotiate a basis around AA + VGK 1st + for the 10th overall pick. Since Detroit is rebuilding, I would assume adding a 2nd round pick from Detroit would be a no from Detroit fans. I would be interested in adding Luke Glendening to the trade to solve the Oilers penalty kill problem + 4th line center. And I wouldn't mind acquiring Tyler Bertuzzi in the trade to be 4th/3rd liner for us.

That's a lot of pieces for the 10th. Nothing all that good. Bertuzzi is a no go.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I’ve been fairly open to AA + VGK 1st + for that pick in the past, but the more I think about it the more that I’m not really a fan.

Most people that post this assume that AA would be slapped on McDavid’s wing and immediately become a 60 point player and everything would be sunshine and rainbows, but the reality of the situation is to date AA has put up good 3rd line numbers and there’s no reason to bank on him doing anything more than that - see Strome, Ryan.

Everyone can’t play with McDavid, and the LW spot next to him has thus far been claimed by RNH. I see no reason AA would displace him, or be anything more than what he’s shown he can be.

I’d hold out for Mantha which likely would be a no from Detroit.

AA doesn't really have the hockey IQ I would look to play with McDavid as you want him to be a bigger passer in that scenario. It could work, but that is a pretty big gamble. Honestly if you didn't have your GM, I would outright dismiss this possibility right away.

I actually think he more compliments Draisaitl. He throws the breakout pass about as well as any young forward in the league. It provides depth and gives him a second homerun threat going against lesser D-pairings every night.

From a Wings fan point of view it isn't terrible offer. I don't think it is disrespectful or anything. But I understand the Oilers passing.

A big part of trading AA is the other team taking a chance that he gets it in this go round, that he is humbled by the trade and becomes a harder worker and more consistent. Not a gamble a lot of teams are going to take without trying to send something back similar. A struggling prospect or young player. I hope the Wings can pull it off, but I think what AA is at this point is a little better known to pro scouts and organizations than we hope. I cannot see someone paying a premium even if I get that he still has worlds of potential.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To me AA seems more like the kind of guy you trade a pick and a prospect for, 2nd and a c prospect or 3rd and a b prospect rather than someone you take as part of a package for a top asset or high pick.

The Wings won't take something that low. I think they want to unload him, but there is limit to just how badly they want to do that.

We have heard the ask on Athanasiou remains pretty high. Top 4 or Top 6 prospect is their interest in dealing him. Not sure they get it right away, but if they are lowering the pick or prospect they probably aren't doing it with both. Okay they can't get a blue chipper or a first, but they aren't getting a crappy prospect and a second or a mediocre prospect and a 3rd. That seems extremely low. I view the 10th as a premium asset, that will be tough for the Wings to find when dealing him. But they should put together something better than that description in my opinion. At least a high level struggling prospect is probably their best bet.

I kind want him gone at this point, I just don't think there is a fit with him and the Wings. There is the chance he completely tanks his value if they hold onto him and it goes worse next season, but I think Ken Holland has to take that chance. Selling him for peanuts just isn't worth it in my opinion. If a legitimate offer comes near the draft, they should deal him at this point.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
AA doesn't really have the hockey IQ I would look to play with McDavid as you want him to be a bigger passer in that scenario. It could work, but that is a pretty big gamble. Honestly if you didn't have your GM, I would outright dismiss this possibility right away.

I actually think he more compliments Draisaitl. He throws the breakout pass about as well as any young forward in the league. It provides depth and gives him a second homerun threat going against lesser D-pairings every night.

From a Wings fan point of view it isn't terrible offer. I don't think it is disrespectful or anything. But I understand the Oilers passing.

A big part of trading AA is the other team taking a chance that he gets it in this go round, that he is humbled by the trade and becomes a harder worker and more consistent. Not a gamble a lot of teams are going to take without trying to send something back similar. A struggling prospect or young player. I hope the Wings can pull it off, but I think what AA is at this point is a little better known to pro scouts and organizations than we hope. I cannot see someone paying a premium even if I get that he still has worlds of potential.

I agree that AA would be a fit with Draisaitl, and if something could be worked out around 40th + other picks, prospects, or lesser pieces I’d be on board. Unfortunately we’ve put ourselves in the position where we need 10th overall to pan out in a big way. We have some decent prospects coming but all in all the pool is pretty shallow. AA is a gamble at this point and we’ve already lost gambling on Reinhart, on Larsson to become a #1 - (he’s a good #2) and on Strome. Three straight gamble L’s have made me pretty iffy on taking more chances on guys like AA.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree that AA would be a fit with Draisaitl, and if something could be worked out around 40th + other picks, prospects, or lesser pieces I’d be on board. Unfortunately we’ve put ourselves in the position where we need 10th overall to pan out in a big way. We have some decent prospects coming but all in all the pool is pretty shallow. AA is a gamble at this point and we’ve already lost gambling on Reinhart, on Larsson to become a #1 - (he’s a good #2) and on Strome. Three straight gamble L’s have made me pretty iffy on taking more chances on guys like AA.

The 40th overall with the right prospect might make sense. The Wings would add to ammo to try to find another team to take a package of picks perhaps owning Vegas' 1st, 33rd, 36th and 40th if the right person is tumbling. That or take a massive swing on Merkley if they know he is dropping all the way to Vegas and you have another solid three cracks in the second.

Dealing AA is going to be complicated, because he has a ton of talent. He is also very unlikely to realize that talent to the level he should at this point in my opinion. I think he is an interesting gamble for the Oilers who now have a lot of money locked in to their guys, can they go in for gamble 4 and get it right? Tough call and honestly if I switch places, I agree with the package you're interested in. But perhaps Holland can find someone who feels a little different.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Wings need to hang on to AA and play him at center. He has so much speed and skill that he’s better attacking from the middle of the ice. Problem is he gets the puck standing beside the opposing d-man!

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd move the 10th in a package deal for Mantha + AA. I'm not sure what Edmonton would need to add as Mantha is worth the 10th alone and AA a 2nd+

2018 1st + 2019 3rd = Mantha

2018 2nd + Caleb Jones = AA

Solves Edmonton's depth problems in a single deal. I think the value is there or this is least a workable base. Still don't know if Detroit has any interest in moving Mantha even if someone on the board at 10 is on their want list.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

Lol. No.

... Consider that Detroit seems to be set on getting a 2nd for Glendening or keeping him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad