Proposal: 10th ovr to Detroit

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'm thinking AA + VGK 1st round pick + whatever other picks (that aren't a 1st) needed to get the trade done going back to EDM. EDM gets faster and still gets a 1st round pick in a deep draft. Detroit gets another top 10 pick to quite possibly draft 2 highly projected defenseman. Is that enough? If not what would it take from Det other than Larkin/Mantha.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
That's not horrible but you would have to expand that trade... the drop off from 10th to VGK is pretty large.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’ve been fairly open to AA + VGK 1st + for that pick in the past, but the more I think about it the more that I’m not really a fan.

Most people that post this assume that AA would be slapped on McDavid’s wing and immediately become a 60 point player and everything would be sunshine and rainbows, but the reality of the situation is to date AA has put up good 3rd line numbers and there’s no reason to bank on him doing anything more than that - see Strome, Ryan.

Everyone can’t play with McDavid, and the LW spot next to him has thus far been claimed by RNH. I see no reason AA would displace him, or be anything more than what he’s shown he can be.

I’d hold out for Mantha which likely would be a no from Detroit.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I’ve been fairly open to AA + VGK 1st + for that pick in the past, but the more I think about it the more that I’m not really a fan.

Most people that post this assume that AA would be slapped on McDavid’s wing and immediately become a 60 point player and everything would be sunshine and rainbows, but the reality of the situation is to date AA has put up good 3rd line numbers and there’s no reason to bank on him doing anything more than that - see Strome, Ryan.

Everyone can’t play with McDavid, and the LW spot next to him has thus far been claimed by RNH. I see no reason AA would displace him, or be anything more than what he’s shown he can be.

I’d hold out for Mantha which likely would be a no from Detroit.

To me Edmonton is the perfect spot for AA, they need speed, and AA and McDavid are probably the two fastest guys in the league, and I honestly think they would work well together, of course provided AA learns to play every night and not float so often.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
To me Edmonton is the perfect spot for AA, they need speed, and AA and McDavid are probably the two fastest guys in the league, and I honestly think they would work well together, of course provided AA learns to play every night and not float so often.

Meh.. Hall and McDavid were like fire and water. Hall is a puck hog who often takes dumb shots.... McDavid works well with smart players like Nuge and Draisaitl... he's okay with the crash and bang garbage types like Maroon.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

McDavid doesn’t need speed demons to work with. The players that have seen the most success with him are the more cerebral types that can find open ice and take advatage of the opportunities he opens up.

I’d definitely take AA, as I think he’d be a good fit with Draisaitl. I just don’t think I’d be willing to drop 15 spots to get him.

Any interest in 40th + 2019 3rd or 40th + a Defense prospect not named Bear?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
The 11th or 12th pick from NYI would be another choice too, does Athanasiou fit in well with the Islanders' plans? Veleno or Wilde (U of Michigan commit) would be available there.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
The 11th or 12th pick from NYI would be another choice too, does Athanasiou fit in well with the Islanders' plans? Veleno or Wilde (U of Michigan commit) would be available there.

Isles want a vet D, no? The last thing they need is scoring.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The Isles need middle six wingers like the Oilers need centres - which is to say, not at all.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

Ya not being a fan is understandable.

All i know is this:

Edmonton is looking for success now.
Detroit is only looking to the future.

AA is only available because for whatever reason he is stuck on the 3rd line here in Detroit, with lots of potential to be a 2nd line player.

to many of our fans Nyquist, AA, Neilsen, Helm, Abdelkader are all available to look to the ffuture. Some of their contracts make them unmovable. So that is probably why Nyquist // AA are our most likely trade pieces.

P.S. What does Edmonton think of Puljujarvi? or Yamamoto? or your 10th... which is least valuable of those 3?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
McDavid doesn’t need speed demons to work with. The players that have seen the most success with him are the more cerebral types that can find open ice and take advatage of the opportunities he opens up.

I’d definitely take AA, as I think he’d be a good fit with Draisaitl. I just don’t think I’d be willing to drop 15 spots to get him.

Any interest in 40th + 2019 3rd or 40th + a Defense prospect not named Bear?

The Wings already have substantial quantity going into this draft. I would find it unlikely that they would be shopping a roster player for what would be their 5th best pick. They will already be picking 6, probably 27-31, 33 and 36 to go along with another 7 picks after that. I'd be more prone to adding 36 on top of AA+VGK 1st to get a higher quality return over more quantity, but that's just me. Other Wings fans may disagree.

In AA, all he will need is skill to play with and time on ice to be at his best. The more he's on the ice, the more locked in he seems to be. I've seen him find soft spots and get great shots on net and I've seen him be dominant on the puck trying to be more of a facilitator. He's capable of either, but he is not going to drive a line on his own, he needs to be surrounded by other talent. RNH, Draisaitl, McDavid would all be fine players for him depending on who he develops good chemistry with.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Ya not being a fan is understandable.

All i know is this:

Edmonton is looking for success now.
Detroit is only looking to the future.

AA is only available because for whatever reason he is stuck on the 3rd line here in Detroit, with lots of potential to be a 2nd line player.

to many of our fans Nyquist, AA, Neilsen, Helm, Abdelkader are all available to look to the ffuture. Some of their contracts make them unmovable. So that is probably why Nyquist // AA are our most likely trade pieces.

P.S. What does Edmonton think of Puljujarvi? or Yamamoto? or your 10th... which is least valuable of those 3?

One year of Nyquist / AA probably aren’t worth any of the above to us to be honest. We need one of JP/Yams to pan out as a legit top sixer and 10th could get us some much needed cheap help down the road.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The Wings already have substantial quantity going into this draft. I would find it unlikely that they would be shopping a roster player for what would be their 5th best pick. They will already be picking 6, probably 27-31, 33 and 36 to go along with another 7 picks after that. I'd be more prone to adding 36 on top of AA+VGK 1st to get a higher quality return over more quantity, but that's just me. Other Wings fans may disagree.

In AA, all he will need is skill to play with and time on ice to be at his best. The more he's on the ice, the more locked in he seems to be. I've seen him find soft spots and get great shots on net and I've seen him be dominant on the puck trying to be more of a facilitator. He's capable of either, but he is not going to drive a line on his own, he needs to be surrounded by other talent. RNH, Draisaitl, McDavid would all be fine players for him depending on who he develops good chemistry with.

I’m not sure I buy that to be honest. A quick glance over at Dobber makes it seem like he spent the majority of his time on the ice stapled to Dylan Larkin. It looks like almost all of his ES ice time was with Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Zetterberg, or Nyquist, with small amounts of time spent with the Nielsen/Abdelkader pairing. He averaged 15 or so minutes of ice a night, which is right in the wheelhouse of a 2nd liner.

100% of his even strength points were scored with at least one of Larkin, Tatar, or Mantha also on the ice. He’s BEEN with talent. Draisaitl/McDavid are better than anything Detroit has at C, sure, but Edmonton is a wasteland at RW. I definitely wouldn’t be banking on a magical point surge.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
EDM is better off keeping the pick. They can use a PMD or a scoring winger, and this draft is likely to have a very good one available at #10oa. Some teams before them will be reaching for C's, which they have no need of.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
AA is an RFA. I would think you can most certainly re-sign him to under 4

If AA got over 4 from someone he’s got naked pictures of the GM in question. - that 4 figure was for Nyquist which isn’t likely.

I dunno. Other than ‘wow that guy is fast’ I’ve never been all that impressed by AA. He screams winger version of Cogliano with a lesser work ethic to me. I’d have a hard time accepting him and 20-whateverth as the principle return for 10th. Historically speaking (looking back 10-15 years) a pick in that range is 30-40% star player, 30-40% adequate NHLer, and 15-25% outright bust. Definitely a gamble but there’s too many names in the Myers/Forsberg/Fowler/McDonagh/Little/Brodin/Trouba/Hamilton/Couture realm that have gone 9th through 12th to be wholly comfortable moving it for lesser pieces.

Completely boils down to how people see AA. He’ll be 24 by the start of next season, however - upside arguments are starting to wear thin.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m not sure I buy that to be honest. A quick glance over at Dobber makes it seem like he spent the majority of his time on the ice stapled to Dylan Larkin. It looks like almost all of his ES ice time was with Larkin, Bertuzzi, Mantha, Zetterberg, or Nyquist, with small amounts of time spent with the Nielsen/Abdelkader pairing. He averaged 15 or so minutes of ice a night, which is right in the wheelhouse of a 2nd liner.

100% of his even strength points were scored with at least one of Larkin, Tatar, or Mantha also on the ice. He’s BEEN with talent. Draisaitl/McDavid are better than anything Detroit has at C, sure, but Edmonton is a wasteland at RW. I definitely wouldn’t be banking on a magical point surge.

Not saying expect a major point surge, but certainly can see improved performance from this year. I actually watched the games and have seen his usage in-game, not just box scores and compiled stats. He was the player that saw his role fluctuate more than anyone, playing time up and down the roster. There were games where he was on the 4th line with Frk because Blashill opted for 7 defensemen and the result was Larkin double shifting out with Athanasiou and Frk. He has never had a defined role and it has never been consistent. After this year, I think he would be better served with a team looking for help at forward that actually has something in mind for him other than playing odd man out. I could care less who it is, it would be best for his career.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'd rather try and get Mantha from Detroit. A tall order, I agree, but I am not as bullish on AA as some HF posters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad