OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Man, I miss the days of coming home from the corner store with wax packs of 1970s Baseball, Football, and Hockey cards, opening them up, and getting hit with that lovably noxious bubble gum smell. Those packs felt like bars of gold. 1973 will always be the magical year for me, card-wise, because that's when I started collecting. I didn't buy my first pack until 1974 - the others were acquired from some casual stealing from other kids. The top card in the first pack was a 1974 Hank Aaron. I still have that card. Probably PSA -10 because it is well-worn.

As far as I am concerned, any baseball cards released after 1975...and maybe 1976...are worthless to me, regardless of their market value. It was great knowing about every player - even the fringe players - because of the back of the cards. Knowing who Juan Beniquez, Juha Widing, and Doug Dieken were just added that little extra to watching a baseball/hockey/football game for me. Nowadays, there are players who have been in the game for a decade or so whom I never heard of. Baseball, Football, and Hockey cards connected me to the games to a degree I have not since experienced since I stopped collecting, but now that it is more of an "investment" business than a joyous hobby, I haven't had the desire to re-acquaint myself with it.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Amazing..

I most certainly will not be playing an instrument if I have to get my brain tumor removed. Not sure I could do anything for 6 hours other than watch TV. If they want me to be awake, I'll see if they can let me watch something I haven't seen yet like House of Dragon. As long as I can keep track of what is going on we'll be good to go.

Or maybe I should play an instrument and they could mess around in there until it actually sounds good. Somehow activate the musical part of my brain that seems to be turned off.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I most certainly will not be playing an instrument if I have to get my brain tumor removed. Not sure I could do anything for 6 hours other than watch TV. If they want me to be awake, I'll see if they can let me watch something I haven't seen yet like House of Dragon. As long as I can keep track of what is going on we'll be good to go.

Or maybe I should play an instrument and they could mess around in there until it actually sounds good. Somehow activate the musical part of my brain that seems to be turned off.

Watching the Flyers and then after the brain surgery finding out your ability to experience joy was accidentally removed because it was never once triggered and they didn't realize they were taking out something important ;)

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Watching the Flyers and then after the brain surgery finding out your ability to experience joy was accidentally removed because it was never once triggered and they didn't realize they were taking out something important ;)

That would work, if I could experience joy before. Along with poking around for any musical or artistic skills, I'm going to ask them to see what they can do about the brain chemistry malfunctions up there.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Terrible.
For ease of mind I change the batteries twice a year, when clocks get set forwards and again backwards. Heater filter and a bucket of water from the water heater on the first of the month.

Wait does it only need to be a bucket? I don't need to drain the whole stupid thing?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man, I miss the days of coming home from the corner store with wax packs of 1970s Baseball, Football, and Hockey cards, opening them up, and getting hit with that lovably noxious bubble gum smell. Those packs felt like bars of gold. 1973 will always be the magical year for me, card-wise, because that's when I started collecting. I didn't buy my first pack until 1974 - the others were acquired from some casual stealing from other kids. The top card in the first pack was a 1974 Hank Aaron. I still have that card. Probably PSA -10 because it is well-worn.

As far as I am concerned, any baseball cards released after 1975...and maybe 1976...are worthless to me, regardless of their market value. It was great knowing about every player - even the fringe players - because of the back of the cards. Knowing who Juan Beniquez, Juha Widing, and Doug Dieken were just added that little extra to watching a baseball/hockey/football game for me. Nowadays, there are players who have been in the game for a decade or so whom I never heard of. Baseball, Football, and Hockey cards connected me to the games to a degree I have not since experienced since I stopped collecting, but now that it is more of an "investment" business than a joyous hobby, I haven't had the desire to re-acquaint myself with it.

I have two unopened packs of Garbage Pail Kids cards and a few Dinosaurs Attacks cards from the late 80s with the gum still inside lol

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Wait does it only need to be a bucket? I don't need to drain the whole stupid thing?
Serious? One bucket a month from the drain, NOT the pressure relief valve, to remove sediment.

I have two unopened packs of Garbage Pail Kids cards and a few Dinosaurs Attacks cards from the late 80s with the gum still inside lol
Eat the gum!
I ate 80’s gum in the late 90’s. Full disclosure, it basically melts into a weird gritty nothingness instantly

Trash tier candy

• Wow
Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

20211015_185838.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Serious? One bucket a month from the drain, NOT the pressure relief valve, to remove sediment.

Eat the gum!
I ate 80’s gum in the late 90’s. Full disclosure, it basically melts into a weird gritty nothingness instantly

Trash tier candy

I had plumbers tell me to drain the whole damned thing, so I never have because that's ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad