OT: 105th Obsequious Banter Thread: Penny for Your Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Flahrsy collected all 150 original Pokemon cards, and after he did so, he made lasagna with them and ate it.
1879f4731a02866437f2a99419bfe56b.gif

Trying not to nerd out about original WoTC Pokemon TCG. ARGHHHH

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Why is this such a scandal? Card makers are earmarking "valuable" cards to content creators/mouthpieces?

Also why are some comments mentioning "block chain"? What is that in this context? Are there actual real life bigbrainers out there trying to push NFT trading cards?

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Why is this such a scandal? Card makers are earmarking "valuable" cards to content creators/mouthpieces?

Also why are some comments mentioning "block chain"? What is that in this context?
No one is supposed to know where these cards actually are. Giving content creators loaded packs or things like that really weakens the foundation of the whole hobby.

Regarding the blockchain? That’s just cryptobros cryptobroing.

Reactions: Rebels57

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What exactly are these kinds of packs? Especially since it's just a plain foil outside with no real markings, other than the one showing what is in them?

They're regular Sterling packs. The foil wrapper is inside a cardboard box. 5 mini-boxes/packs to a box. 12 boxes to a case.

It's likely part of the factory's process for seeding hits per box/case. The problem is how exploitable it is for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Chinatown88

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
They're regular Sterling packs. The foil wrapper is inside a cardboard box. 5 mini-boxes/packs to a box. 12 boxes to a case.

It's likely part of the factory's process for seeding hits per box/case. The problem is how exploitable it is for obvious reasons.
"I'm going to sell this pack I marked with a red sharpie on Ebay"?

No one is supposed to know where these cards actually are. Giving content creators loaded packs or things like that really weakens the foundation of the whole hobby.

Regarding the blockchain? That’s just cryptobros cryptobroing.
But they have to know where they are. Don't they market things like "guaranteed hits" or whatever in more expensive cases? Is this not a way to guarantee hits? Someone has to know eventually.

Also, I hate cryptobros

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Flahrsy collected all 150 original Pokemon cards, and after he did so, he made lasagna with them and ate it.

Only 102 original Pokemon cards in base set.
69 Pokemon.
26 Trainer cards.
7 Energy cards.

:help::laugh:

It was my life for about 2 years aged ~8-10. (and yes, have all 102, actually about ~3x over, albeit sadly not 1st edition, but still will one day be a nice few thousand euros or so to help buy a house.)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Mostly the opposite. Open boxes looking for red checks, reseal those without, and sell. Only open packs with them.
Keeping me being a f***ing idiot in mind, I truthfully fail to understand. This hobby is full of disingenuous consumers trying to make money. How is this different? Exploitable on a larger scale? Why is this the line in the sand?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Keeping me being a f***ing idiot in mind, I truthfully fail to understand. This hobby is full of disingenuous consumers trying to make money. How is this different? Exploitable on a larger scale? Why is this the line in the sand?

To me, it's not a line in the sand. It's Exhibit #806 in how everything has gone to shit.

If you think this is actually seeding things for influencers to open on camera, that would be a whole different issue. I personally don't assume malice where incompetence explains everything, but others will.

*Edit* Even if there was malice here, I would be far more suspicious of one or two people working at the packaging facility than Topps. That's a common source of leaks for other products.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hollywood Cannon

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
To me, it's not a line in the sand. It's Exhibit #806 in how everything has gone to shit.

If you think this is actually seeding things for influencers to open on camera, that would be a whole different issue. I personally don't assume malice where incompetence explains everything, but others will.
What about auction houses, specifically Goldin, with what we’ve seen?

The fact that they’ve pulled highly valuable cards with Ken Goldin standing there next to people like Drake is unbelievably shady.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

I don't think anything, I'm just trying to figure out the general concensus and sort through what's going on.

Sounds like it's not about stacking packs, it's just the overall process being lazy and exploitable one way or the other.

In other words, be better

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What about auction houses, specifically Goldin, with what we’ve seen?

The fact that they’ve pulled highly valuable cards with Ken Goldin standing there next to people like Drake is unbelievably shady.

My answer will be a quote from the 2015 court transcript of a long-time high-end auctioneer, Bill Mastro:

Bill Mastro said:
Mastro: I really don’t give a shit if the stuff’s real or not. Okay. I don’t care if its trimmed. I don’t care if it’s real. I, if I look at it and I think it’s real, I want the authenticators to look at it and think it’s real. You think that all these PSA cards we're auctioning are, aren’t unaltered? They’re all altered. The alternation going on, it is unbelievable in our hobby right now. Okay. There’s not a sheet that gets auctioned off that isn’t cut up. Every sheets getting cut up. Goudy sheets, Diamond Star sheets, basketball sheets, every sheet you see in the auction is being bought by someone who is cutting them up.

There is no corner that exists these people will not cut.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
From a collector point of viee..I wish I had kept those uncut sheets of baseball cards my godfather used to give me when I was a kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad