Sportsnet: 100-point-plus team and likely first-round “favourites

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
If the Leafs win the President’s trophy would that mean anything to anyone?

You'd think it would be a good thing as our first round matchup would most likely be a team that just skirted into the playoffs. Unfortunately we've seen this team can't even beat a team that under normal circumstances wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
If Matthews' wrist gives him trouble this season, we will be happy we even got a playoff run of 7 games last season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Florida technically has added
- Bennet (was decent in the playoffs minus the suspension to be seen what becomes of him in regular season)
- Reinhart (a significant add IMO)
- Montour
- Hornqvist (getting old and not too effective IMO)
- Thornton (LOL :laugh:)

Hornqvist was added before last year. Bennett and Montour were added deadline last year.

They will get Ekblad back this season

He played most of last season.

They are weak in goal but you never know with bobrovsky you can only hope he continues to suck and we dont know how knight might play out

They lost their most important goalie from last year.

Our D core IMO has gotten weak with exit of Bogo while Panthers have pretty much kept their Dgroup

The Panthers have lost Stralman and Yandle, both of whom played much larger roles than Bogosian did last year.

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Dermott/Liljegren

is decent I guess but nothing outstanding.

Panthers D group
Weeger Ekblad
Nutivaara Montour
Forsling Gudas

is probably the same quality as the Leafs D.

The Leafs D is significantly better than that Panthers D, mostly because the Leafs have 3 top-pair quality dmen to the Panthers' 2, but also because the leafs actually have talented depth options, unlike their retread counterparts on the panthers.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
One thing I know for sure is that Barkov isnt going to be happy facing Matthews again.

Was interested how Barkov/Huberdeau fared against Matthews head to head over the years and here are the 5v5 stats head to head:

TOI: 44 minutes

Shots:
Matthews Line: 37
Barkov/Huberdeau: 18

Scoring Chances:
Matthews Line: 42
Barkov/Huberdeau: 16

High Danger Chances:
Matthews Line: 16
Barkov/Huberdeau: 1

Goals scored:
Matthews Line: 4
Barkov/Huberdeau: 0

Barkov/Huberdeau differentials against the Matthews line put as %:

CF%: 35.96
SCF%: 27.59
HDCF%: 5.88
xGF%: 19.88
GF%: 0.0

Pretty sure Matthews is Barkov's Kryptonite. No wonder he has such high praise for him in interviews.

Reactions: Menzinger

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You'd think it would be a good thing as our first round matchup would most likely be a team that just skirted into the playoffs. Unfortunately we've seen this team can't even beat a team that under normal circumstances wouldn't be in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, we have seen that they also can’t even beat a goalie who had to take the Zamboni keys out of his pocket to hastily put his pads on.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I will take my guess after i see how it shakes out in camp. Logically i see a positive progression just because we will not have a injured Andersen killing us.
Robertson taking a left wing spot changes our depth significantly and instantly.
Rielly might get traded
Team toughness equation remains to be seen etc

If Rielly was getting traded he'd be traded by now

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ritchie. Matthews. Marner
Kerfoot. Tavares. Nylander
Soup. Kampf. Kase
bunting. Spezza. Simmonds

with Robertson. Engvall. Etc

rielly. Brodie.
Muzz. Holl
Sandin. Dermott
Lilly.

is actually an excellent starting point with the ability to add a D if Lilly/dermott don’t work out.

it think it’s actually a good roster. Just whether or not they can actually perform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad