Sportsnet: 100-point-plus team and likely first-round “favourites

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Personally I cheer for The Leafs.
I cheer for them, probably as hard as anyone.

But I just don't see how anyone can look at them dispassionately, and say they are likely to be first round favourites.

I have a bottle of 25-year old Scotch whisky, that I've had for almost 30 years, that I will open when the Leafs win the Cup. I'm almost 70: they'd better hurry.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The regular season still has to be played to make the playoffs. So I'll be following closely. I wonder what the regular season haters will be doing?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Some small voice in my head, “Last year was merely a conditioning year before they go on a multi year, non asterisk championship dynasty.”

Some louder sober voice in my head, “Presidents Trophy be damned, get out of the first round and show me what it’s like to be watching my favourite team in a Stanley cup final again.”

Reactions: freshwind

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This team can never be considered a first round favourite again, it's ridiculous that a professional writer would say as much. Leafs could win the President's Trophy and nobody would have confidence in their ability to win 4 out of 7 games. The evidence is too much and too damning to confidently say "yeah, this group should move on to the second round no problem."

Reactions: Pookie

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This team can never be considered a first round favourite again, it's ridiculous that a professional writer would say as much. Leafs could win the President's Trophy and nobody would have confidence in their ability to win 4 out of 7 games. The evidence is too much and too damning to confidently say "yeah, this group should move on to the second round no problem."

Tampa/Florida/Boston are always going to be tough but Boston I think got significantly weaker but also think that Sens will be a very tough team to play against they are a rising team.

My guess is first two in atlantic division would be 1) Tampa and 2) Florida then it will be a fight for the 3rd between Leafs/Boston/Sens (outside shot to montreal) and if you cant get the 3rd then wildcard will be even tougher IMO as metro would probably end up like 1) Canes, 2) Isles, 3) Caps/Pens/Philly

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Even if 'favourite' is just starting at home in the first round, we'll be hard pressed to get it.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Some these message imply that if we play against Panthers on first round universe will collapse during game 7 or both teams will just disappear and Habs will take the place during 2nd round. Panthers have even worse record than us in the playoff.

We should be first round favorites with this roster, if were relatively healthy during season and have normal regular season. It might pain to watch, but we can be favorites and we should be. Though we have relatively tough division.

It doesn't mean, that we surely win that series.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The Leafs perform better as "underdogs" than "favourites" as it appears the higher the expectations, the greater the pressure, the bigger the disappointment and struggles to wear the label. IMO

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I cheer for them, probably as hard as anyone.

But I just don't see how anyone can look at them dispassionately, and say they are likely to be first round favourites.

I have a bottle of 25-year old Scotch whisky, that I've had for almost 30 years, that I will open when the Leafs win the Cup. I'm almost 70: they'd better hurry.

i have to assume that was SN’s way of saying they predict them to finish 2nd in the Atlantic. Which, to me, doesn’t seem particularly unlikely. Other than Tampa, we are absolutely as good as anyone else in this division. And even Tampa has taken a step back this offseason.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The regular season for me will be more about finding good chemistry with our lines. Does a shut-down third line work? All skill 4th or bangers and crashers. Tavares elevating two wingers and the 3 amigos on the top line, or Tavares/Marner, Matthews/Nylander.
All with the heavier play in the playoffs in mind.....for example having Robertson and Marner on the same line would be a tough sell in the rougher games

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
i have to assume that was SN’s way of saying they predict them to finish 2nd in the Atlantic. Which, to me, doesn’t seem particularly unlikely. Other than Tampa, we are absolutely as good as anyone else in this division. And even Tampa has taken a step back this offseason.
I agree that it was probably their intent, and also that they phrased it in such a way that Leafs fans could take it any way they like.

I'm just not as confident that we'll finish second.

But hope springs eternal....

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
The regular season for me will be more about finding good chemistry with our lines. Does a shut-down third line work? All skill 4th or bangers and crashers. Tavares elevating two wingers and the 3 amigos on the top line, or Tavares/Marner, Matthews/Nylander.
All with the heavier play in the playoffs in mind.....for example having Robertson and Marner on the same line would be a tough sell in the rougher games

I agree. And as much as Matthews and Marner were dynamite together in the regular season, unless the refs are gonna start calling the games differently, I don’t think the combo makes sense for playoffs. Matthews and Marner are legitimate gamebreaking talent and by far the best two players we have, but I think putting them together plays into the defensive strategy of the opposition. Instead of having to split their best defensive players and deal with a Matthews/Marner caliber player on the ice two thirds of the game, you instead allow them to defensively overload one unit for ~18-20 mins and just handle the rest. It’s too many eggs in 1 basket.

Hell, even for the regular season it’s a valid debate as I think Tavares benefits from having Mitch as a linemate more than Matthews does.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree that it was probably their intent, and also that they phrased it in such a way that Leafs fans could take it any way they like.

I'm just not as confident that we'll finish second.

But hope springs eternal....

i mean it’s hard to be confident in any specific kind of finish. All kinds of wonky things happen over the course of an nhl season. Good and bad. That said, assuming relative health this group should at least challenge for 2nd.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
They'll finish with about 105-110 points and 2nd in the division behind Tampa and then choke in the playoffs again, leading to everyone from Shanny to Dubas to Keefe being fired. Early prediction. Prove me wrong boys and make something happen this year.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Personally I cheer for The Leafs.

Same. But this year just feels different. It's the first time I'm not excited for the regular season. As we've seen over the past 5-6 years regular season means nothing in the playoffs. I want the boys to do well, even if they finish 1st overall in the league i'll be happy for them but it just feels meaningless unless they accomplish something in the playoffs. I dunno how to describe it, but that level of excitement and hope behind this group just feels dead for me this year. I will always cheer for them no matter how good or bad they are but it's just difficult to be excited for the regular season this year.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Tampa/Florida/Boston are always going to be tough but Boston I think got significantly weaker but also think that Sens will be a very tough team to play against they are a rising team.

My guess is first two in atlantic division would be 1) Tampa and 2) Florida then it will be a fight for the 3rd between Leafs/Boston/Sens (outside shot to montreal) and if you cant get the 3rd then wildcard will be even tougher IMO as metro would probably end up like 1) Canes, 2) Isles, 3) Caps/Pens/Philly

I'm not sure what to think about Florida still.

The last time I remember them, I remember the banged up Leafs beating them with half a dcore before the Covid break to essentially grab a stranglehold on the playoffs and knock the Cats almost out. Are 2nd place in a Covid division and a 6 game first round exit enough to make them this new powerhouse everyone keeps pushing. Smacks a little too much of "flavor of the month"

I get the same feeling when so many are penciling in Huberdeau into Canada's top 6.

Gonna be interesting to see how they far when they are back in the toughest division in hockey.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The last time I remember them, I remember the banged up Leafs beating them with half a dcore before the Covid break to essentially grab a stranglehold on the playoffs and knock the Cats almost out. Are 2nd place in a Covid division and a 6 game first round exit enough to make them this new powerhouse everyone keeps pushing. Smacks a little too much of "flavor of the month"

I get the same feeling when so many are penciling in Huberdeau into Canada's top 6.

Gonna be interesting to see how they far when they are back in the toughest division in hockey.

Florida was only a couple of points behind us the year before as well. I think they are a legit team, though as you say, this is going to be a tough division. (Outside of Buffalo and Detroit, which will be must win sweeps)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Florida technically has added
- Bennet (was decent in the playoffs minus the suspension to be seen what becomes of him in regular season)
- Reinhart (a significant add IMO)
- Montour
- Hornqvist (getting old and not too effective IMO)
- Thornton (LOL :laugh:)

They will get Ekblad back this season

They are weak in goal but you never know with bobrovsky you can only hope he continues to suck and we dont know how knight might play out

Leafs acquisitions are:
- Bunting, Ritchie, Kampf, Kase
it fills out our forward group but Reinhart is a significant add by the panthers IMO; he might be a lot better than he was with sabres

Our D core IMO has gotten weak with exit of Bogo while Panthers have pretty much kept their Dgroup

Rielly Brodie
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Dermott/Liljegren

is decent I guess but nothing outstanding.

Panthers D group
Weeger Ekblad
Nutivaara Montour
Forsling Gudas

is probably the same quality as the Leafs D.

Leafs forward lines probably (losing Hyman is significant IMO)

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Kerfoot/Ritchie-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Kampf-Kase/Kerfoot
Simmonds-Spezza-Kase/Mikheyev
Robertson

Florida probably
Verhaeghe-Barkov-Reinhart
Huberdeau-Bennet-Marchment
Vatrano-Lundell-Duclair
Hornqvist-Accari/Jumbo-Tippet

With the forward group too I would assume that our top 9 is about the same as their top 9; 4th line is a toss up

Given Coach Q; Florida's performance in the playoffs and the players lifting their games like Marchment, Bennet, Verhaeghe, hell even Duclair; I guess Panthers might fair better

And goalie again is a toss up. Bobrovsky/Campbell and Knight/Mrazek; its voodoo LOL

I would give the edge to Panthers for the 2nd in Atlantic (assuming no injuries of course either to the Leafs or Panthers)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Replacing Hyman at even strength is not a big deal. The only place we are likely to be particularly impacted is if we don’t effectively replace his pk mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad