Sportsnet: 100-point-plus team and likely first-round “favourites

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The regular season feels like more of a grind to watch now that this team has aged and given us some disappointments along the way.

I'm looking forward to it and will watch it a lot, however, I won't be putting as much stock into the regular season as I have in the past.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
100 points regular season and business as usual, 40+ Goals Matthews, Marner assists seems the norm.

This team however is not a playoff favourite.
They have shown they can’t win yet no matter what team they come up against. Heavy duty teams like Boston/Tampa or run of the mill in Columbus/Montreal equals the same result. Will we meet Florida or Tampa? A wild card team? They haven’t proved favourite yet. Just a 1st round obstacle for another team.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well sometimes Presidents Trophy Winners win the cup. Sometimes they go deep in the playoffs. Right now the bar is so low that the average fan would be surprised they win a playoff series.

I don't think it would be nothing.

....and sometimes the Presidents Trophy winner that also was the greatest regular-season team of modern times gets swept in the first round.....and then wins the next two cups despite not even finishing first in their division those two years.

The Presidents trophy is a solid achievement but matters little once the playoffs come along. With the cap, there are no real superteams anymore and it only takes a couple key players not performing or a hot goalie or a rash of injuries, etc. and your playoffs will be over really quick.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
....and sometimes the Presidents Trophy winner that also was the greatest regular-season team of modern times gets swept in the first round.....and then wins the next two cups despite not even finishing first in their division those two years.

The Presidents trophy is a solid achievement but matters little once the playoffs come along. With the cap, there are no real superteams anymore and it only takes a couple key players not performing or a hot goalie or a rash of injuries, etc. and your playoffs will be over really quick.

When there was no cap the above issues would hurt a team's playoff chances too.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Weren’t we favourites against Montreal?

The word “favourite” and this core do not belong in the same sentence.... in ANY context

Reactions: Trapper and yubbers

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
When there was no cap the above issues would hurt a team's playoff chances too.

Not nearly to the same extent though (was more of a have/have not league)and I regret actually throwing that in now as it's not the key point. A lot of things have to have to go right for a team too. Things not coming together for teams can lead to the unfair and contagious perceived notions that players are "playoff losers". HOF players like Yzerman (carried this stigma for like a decade and insanely left off Team Canada in 87 and 91 for this type of thinking) and Ovi come to mind here. Tampa's financial attractiveness to players gave them a superteam of sorts but they still have to get the breaks to win.

I like to use Tampa as an example of comparison as they are winners and it's good to emulate them. They pulled a reverse of what happened to us and actually got the eventual MVP back into their lineup for the playoffs and beat the Cats in the first round (in a tough series). But would they have even beaten them if they had the injury issues the Leafs had?

Just doing some obvious comparisons(trying to be fair here), If Point(Matthews) was playing with a bad wrist that needed to be surgically repaired, Stamkos(Tavares) got knocked out in the first period of the series, McDonagh(Muzzin) got knocked out of the series and Gourde?(Trying to figure out our big deadline pickup Folignos heathy value equivalent on the Bolts) was playing injured and only played half the games, do you think that series goes the other way? I'm not sure but I am pretty sure 99% of folks would be saying "damn, injuries really made the huge difference in that series" but I think the years of futility have made ANY excuse seem illegitimate.....and that was only one way the dice rolled against us last playoff.

Tampa won 2 cups not just because they have a solid core but because they were relatively healthy, their depth players played well and they always had an advantage in net. Almost the exact same President trophy core with the same coach got swept in the first round before the cups because just a couple things went the wrong way but it all came together the last couple of years. I'm just hoping the Leafs can manage a playoff round without losing a key piece and/or have an advantage in net. We havnt seen that yet.

The Leafs are probably going to be a good team this year again (The 5th best record in hockey the last 4 years with this core) and we have to hope it really does come together for them in the playoffs. Are the new depth players going to make the difference this year or are they going to throw pizzas to the other team to blow games in the playoffs? How will Mrazek perform? Will they be healthy?

I cant wait to find out. Sure beats that decade of hoping they could be a bubble team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Aren’t you tired of doing this every year @Zybalto ?

This team hasn’t earned optimism. They haven’t earned our pride. Or our support really.

I’m approaching the year with indifference.

Reactions: egd27

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Aren’t you tired of doing this every year @Zybalto ?

This team hasn’t earned optimism. They haven’t earned our pride. Or our support really.

I’m approaching the year with indifference.

Hey it's part of being a fan man. I supported them in the dark years and I support them now as contenders but I'm not afraid to call out when I see something wrong. Just because I think depth/injuries/goaltending/powerplay are the problems doesnt mean I'm not calling out the problems (why isnt Malholtra fired? Maybe there really is something to the becoming obvious issues with paying the top guys too much, etc.) If the Leafs were healthy and got just got flat out beat, I would be more in your corner, thats for sure. Having the best team we've had in nearly two decades is certainly something to be hopeful for after being pretty much hopeless since Sundin retired.

When they win the cup this year, I promise not to hold all the negativity against anyone. ;)

Cheers.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What exactly makes this team first round favorites? If they end up with Tampa in the first round, are they still favourites? I just don't see why people think this is a particularly good team, sorry. They have no one outside the top 4 forwards

Its been this way for a while though.
The top 4 forwards are VERY good.

If you think this is a poor team, you haven't lived through the 80s/Ballard

I will say that secondary scoring is a concern.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Its been this way for a while though.
The top 4 forwards are VERY good.

If you think this is a poor team, you haven't lived through the 80s/Ballard

I will say that secondary scoring is a concern.

It's not a poor team. It is a team that has a questionable cap structure, a questionable coaching staff, a questionable philosophy to how the game should be played most effectively, but mostly, it is a team continues to shoot itself in the foot in big game situations.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Not nearly to the same extent though (was more of a have/have not league)and I regret actually throwing that in now as it's not the key point. A lot of things have to have to go right for a team too. Things not coming together for teams can lead to the unfair and contagious perceived notions that players are "playoff losers". HOF players like Yzerman (carried this stigma for like a decade and insanely left off Team Canada in 87 and 91 for this type of thinking) and Ovi come to mind here. Tampa's financial attractiveness to players gave them a superteam of sorts but they still have to get the breaks to win.

I like to use Tampa as an example of comparison as they are winners and it's good to emulate them. They pulled a reverse of what happened to us and actually got the eventual MVP back into their lineup for the playoffs and beat the Cats in the first round (in a tough series). But would they have even beaten them if they had the injury issues the Leafs had?

Very well thought out comments...Refreshing to see another perspective. Some will call your comments excuses and some will call them reasons..Such is life.

Just doing some obvious comparisons(trying to be fair here), If Point(Matthews) was playing with a bad wrist that needed to be surgically repaired, Stamkos(Tavares) got knocked out in the first period of the series, McDonagh(Muzzin) got knocked out of the series and Gourde?(Trying to figure out our big deadline pickup Folignos heathy value equivalent on the Bolts) was playing injured and only played half the games, do you think that series goes the other way? I'm not sure but I am pretty sure 99% of folks would be saying "damn, injuries really made the huge difference in that series" but I think the years of futility have made ANY excuse seem illegitimate.....and that was only one way the dice rolled against us last playoff.

Tampa won 2 cups not just because they have a solid core but because they were relatively healthy, their depth players played well and they always had an advantage in net. Almost the exact same President trophy core with the same coach got swept in the first round before the cups because just a couple things went the wrong way but it all came together the last couple of years. I'm just hoping the Leafs can manage a playoff round without losing a key piece and/or have an advantage in net. We havnt seen that yet.

The Leafs are probably going to be a good team this year again (The 5th best record in hockey the last 4 years with this core) and we have to hope it really does come together for them in the playoffs. Are the new depth players going to make the difference this year or are they going to throw pizzas to the other team to blow games in the playoffs? How will Mrazek perform? Will they be healthy?

I cant wait to find out. Sure beats that decade of hoping they could be a bubble team.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
First round favaourites you say? with dubas and keefe at the helm and shanahan keep yapping about some "plan"

laughing-michael-jordan.gif

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Sooo...you didn't live through the 80's?

Sure did.

which is why I notice a difference in players with heart and players with big bank accounts.

or in a GM willing to make a 5 player swap in the early 90’s or even trade the captain for an up and comer in Sundin.

what do our guys do?

Offer platitudes and do nothing to the core.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario

Very well thought out post. Refreshing to see a different perspective. Some will see your comments as excuses and some will see it them as reasons... Such is life.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
With at least one of the goaltenders delivering during the regular season they should easily qualify for the playoffs with reliable production and a sound defense. The team will not be the favourite in their 1st round series. Maybe that's what they'll need to get over that hump.

Reactions: ottomaddox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad