Tribute 10 years ago today: The Chara hit on Pacioretty

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
2010 and 2011 were real black marks on the league from the Matt Cooke headshot to Crosby getting knocked out to Chara getting nothing for this hit. Had Colin Campbell not been so loose on the Bruins, I have my doubts that team would have been as successful as they were. They could have easily lost against us, Tampa and Vancouver.

This was Colin Campbell's NHL basically, nothing done to hold players accountable for cheap shots.

Watching Colon Campbell get on the ice and lift the Stanley cup was a disturbing spectacle.

Gave the league a real WWE feel...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Zednik almost getting beheaded was pretty bad to.

Zednik had a tough career. You mention that clothesline by Mclaren, but that wasn't even his worst injury.

Years later when zednik played for Florida, a skate blade came up and cut his throat. It looked just like the malarchuk incident from the 80s.

But that Mclaren clothesline was nasty. Some bruins poster used that incident for his avatar here for years, which I thought was pretty tasteless.

As for zednik, he was playing his best hockey before that play. I think he had more to offer, and that play set him back for good. One small redemption he did get though is that he scored the series winner against Boston in game 7 just a couple years later. He scored both goals actually in a 2-0 win.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This X 1000. Chara is a fake class act. **** this dude forever.

I don't think he wanted to hurt Pacioretty as badly as he did, but the rivalry was fueled pretty high at the time, and Montreal was smoking Boston up 4-0 if I remember correctly.

Bruins were frustrated, and then that happened. I still wonder to this day if Chara plays that different had the score been different.

I don't recall when Pacioretty came back, but the Habs did play Boston again in the playoffs, and took them to game 7 OT without markov. I don't recall Pacioretty being there but I could be mistaken. That play may have been the difference between a first round exit, and a Stanley cup if you think about it.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
One of the tings that pissed me off the most in the aftermath was Dr. Mark Recchi insinuating that Paccioretty was faking the injury.

I wonder if Dr. Recchi thinks Carlo is also faking. I Would love to hear his expert opinion :sarcasm:

I may remembering wrong here, but Recchi did not say he was faking the injury. He said that Max was not having a concussion, based on Max saying he went to see a movie at the theater a few days after. Bright screens are very difficult to watch if you have a concussion. Still, given the history of the hit and the lack of suspension etc, he should have shut up.

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
Maybe it's just me but hockey seemed to mean so much more back then than it does now

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
That play may have been the difference between a first round exit, and a Stanley cup if you think about it.

It was and that is what i hate the most. He obviously didnt intend to send Pac to the hopital. But he did mean to hit a vulnerable player out of retribution (and head first by using his hand, that's illegal whatever the head rules were at the time...)

And it was Mac Pac coming out party that season, the serie went 7 games in OT. His presence would have made a difference.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't think he wanted to hurt Pacioretty as badly as he did, but the rivalry was fueled pretty high at the time, and Montreal was smoking Boston up 4-0 if I remember correctly.

Bruins were frustrated, and then that happened. I still wonder to this day if Chara plays that different had the score been different.

I don't recall when Pacioretty came back, but the Habs did play Boston again in the playoffs, and took them to game 7 OT without markov. I don't recall Pacioretty being there but I could be mistaken. That play may have been the difference between a first round exit, and a Stanley cup if you think about it.
Habs played that 2011 series without Markov or Pacioretty.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
This was a big turning point for me as an NHL fan. Prior to that season I would watch whatever games I could get my hand on. But that year there was so much garbage involved such as this hit, the constant head shots and head hunting, the lack of disciplinary action, etc.

Accidents happen in hockey, but the Bruins got away with so much in those playoffs that it felt like so many outcomes were not dictated by the players or the play on the ice but with who got away with more away from the whistle.

Not something I’m particularly interested in watching. Thankfully the game is better now but that was a real shit time to watch hockey.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
before the nhl changes the rules this is what Boston did. 20 times during the game, boston would shoot the puck down the ice for icing but trail the hab player dont bother getting the puck just aim at his back and RAM HIM INTO THE GLASS. No penalty on the books for this at the time. The very next year the NHL change the icing rule. Now if you think that the Bruins were playing inside the rules well how about this, There is NO RULE in the nhl that the habs cant shoot a goalie with a 357 magnum, its NOT IN THE RULE BOOK but still both are attempt to injure, RIGHT!!!!! Chara's HIT, well I have a bridge in the china I would like to sell you and Recchi insinuating that patch was faking because he went to a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW just WOW.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Zednik had a tough career. You mention that clothesline by Mclaren, but that wasn't even his worst injury.

Years later when zednik played for Florida, a skate blade came up and cut his throat. It looked just like the malarchuk incident from the 80s.

But that Mclaren clothesline was nasty. Some bruins poster used that incident for his avatar here for years, which I thought was pretty tasteless.

As for zednik, he was playing his best hockey before that play. I think he had more to offer, and that play set him back for good. One small redemption he did get though is that he scored the series winner against Boston in game 7 just a couple years later. He scored both goals actually in a 2-0 win.
Zednik was reaching another level before the clothesline from hell. He played like a smaller powerforward, very aggressive, cutting to the net. After that hit, he kept on scoring, but he wasn't playing with the same intention.

Kind of like when Pacs played with Erik Cole vs after the Chara hit where he became more of a textbook sniper.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
before the nhl changes the rules this is what Boston did. 20 times during the game, boston would shoot the puck down the ice for icing but trail the hab player dont bother getting the puck just aim at his back and RAM HIM INTO THE GLASS. No penalty on the books for this at the time. The very next year the NHL change the icing rule. Now if you think that the Bruins were playing inside the rules well how about this, There is NO RULE in the nhl that the habs cant shoot a goalie with a 357 magnum, its NOT IN THE RULE BOOK but still both are attempt to injure, RIGHT!!!!! Chara's HIT, well I have a bridge in the china I would like to sell you and Recchi insinuating that patch was faking because he went to a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW just WOW.
He was saying Patch is not suffering from "concussion symptoms".
Which Patch later confirmed. He was not.

But Charas hit was malicious, deliberate, and a payback from the game before. Over kill for sure. It was obvious at the time.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Zednik was reaching another level before the clothesline from hell. He played like a smaller powerforward, very aggressive, cutting to the net. After that hit, he kept on scoring, but he wasn't playing with the same intention.

Kind of like when Pacs played with Erik Cole vs after the Chara hit where he became more of a textbook sniper.

There was actually an article on that, I think from the Player's Tribune and Patch himself said to have watched a lot of hockey during his time injured and made the decision to become a peripheral player, as those guys have longer careers.

That injury did literally modify his style of play. He was very successful at it too.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad