Tribute 10 years ago today: The Chara hit on Pacioretty

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
with intentional murderous intent

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one to feel super old today and take a trip down memory lane

upload_2021-3-8_14-7-17.png

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I was at a concert in Toronto during this game. I had a look at what was going on in between the opening act and headliner. I saw that Max was hurt but didn't know what happened until I got back to the hotel room after the show.

In any case, f*** Chara. He should've been suspended for this. At least the NHL is more serious about holding players accountable now, right?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I was at a concert in Toronto during this game. I had a look at what was going on in between the opening act and headliner. I saw that Max was hurt but didn't know what happened until I got back to the hotel room after the show.

In any case, f*** Chara. He should've been suspended for this. At least the NHL is more serious about holding players accountable now, right?

*Looks at the Wilson suspension from this week*

yeaaah about that

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009

Depends on the jersey logo.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I will always maintain that Chara did that on purpose. It's no coincidence what happened in the game before where MP gave him a little shove after the OT goal and Chara went bananas.

I don't think he knew how serious the injury would be or the fallout, but he wanted to exact some sort of revenge.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
I'll never forget the sound of him hitting the stanchion and then the eerie silence that followed in the Bell Centre... just sickening. I genuinely thought he might have been killed for a few minutes.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What I remember the most about that hit was that he had a fractured vertebra in the neck. It was a miracle he wasn't paraplegic after the hit.

Also, I remember that the gov wanted to charge Chara for attempted murder and the NHL wasn't too happy about that...

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
What I remember the most about that hit was that he had a fractured vertebra in the neck. It was a miracle he wasn't paraplegic after the hit.

Also, I remember that the gov wanted to charge Chara for attempted murder and the NHL wasn't too happy about that...
Didn't they actually just investigate due to complaints?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Chara is a piece of garbage, always has been, even in his WHL days.

Reactions: DAChampion

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Didn't they actually just investigate due to complaints?

The director of criminal and penal prosecutions at the time wanted the investigation to happen.

The DCPP already had at least 3 QMJHL players charged with assault (on ice) in the few years before that case.

Reactions: David Suzuki

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Chara is a piece of garbage, always has been, even in his WHL days.
Yup and he's on a team with two other pieces of pure garbage in wilson and ovechkin.the league is a fu@#$ing joke when it comes to stars like chara,ovechkin.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Obviously Chara wasn't thinking "Oh great I can break his neck by pushing him into the stantion!" or even that he thought he could injure Pacioretty, however the hit was reckless and dangerous and it was also interference as the puck was long gone.

Chara should have been suspended on the basis of his reckless play (hitting a vulnerable player without the puck seconds left in a period during a lopsided lead for montreal) rather than intent to injure.

All the 911 memes and Dr.Recchi were great at distracting from that fact that Chara got away with a very dirty hit. The dinosaurs celebrate it to this day.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Obviously Chara wasn't thinking "Oh great I can break his neck by pushing him into the stantion!" or even that he thought he could injure Pacioretty, however the hit was reckless and dangerous and it was also interference as the puck was long gone.

Chara should have been suspended on the basis of his reckless play (hitting a vulnerable player without the puck seconds left in a period during a lopsided lead for montreal) rather than intent to injure.

All the 911 memes and Dr.Recchi were great at distracting from that fact that Chara got away with a very dirty hit. The dinosaurs celebrate it to this day.

Recchi went from being one of my all time favorite players, to someone I hated to their inner core. Threw out anything I hate Recchi related. Jerseys, hockey cards a signed picture. Guy went from a class act to a disgusting piece of filth in one year.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Man that was rough watching live. Since then Max has scored 272 goals in 661 games, about 34 per 82. Nothing but good memories about a guy who came back from that, had some great years on a crazy team friendly deal and then was traded at the exact right time for a great return. Glad he's still doing well in Vegas too, even though the captaincy thing didn't go well.

Reactions: dkd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad