Tribute 10 years ago today: The Chara hit on Pacioretty

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
The hit was disgusting, the non suspension by the son's father was banana republic like, but the aftermath drama was just infuriating. From Dr Recchi to the infamous "I didn't know who was on the ice" comment just proved how rigged the player of safety department was that year.

One of the dirtiest hit I've seen and the biggest Gong show ever.

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach
I still hate Chara and think he did it on purpose. Obviously he didn't want to almost kill him, but still.

Im 28 and I feel like I was born before the steam engine.

I thought you were one of those "born before time existed" posters we have here lol

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
2010 and 2011 were real black marks on the league from the Matt Cooke headshot to Crosby getting knocked out to Chara getting nothing for this hit. Had Colin Campbell not been so loose on the Bruins, I have my doubts that team would have been as successful as they were. They could have easily lost against us, Tampa and Vancouver.

This was Colin Campbell's NHL basically, nothing done to hold players accountable for cheap shots.

Reactions: David Suzuki

Habz4

Oct 1, 2013
I was at the game with my brother in law.
It was his first hockey game ever.
Right after the hit it was total silence and there was this eerie awkward feeling in the place like we just witnessed someone die in front of us.
My brother in law couldn't believe that this was allowed in a professional sport and he never watched another hockey game after.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I remember I was browsing the web and then heard a big crunch on TV, I looked up to see Max on the ice and a bunch of Habs players around Chara. The fact not even a 1 game suspension or even a fine was issued was shocking. Max could have easily had his career end that night and be paralyzed and all to show for it was a 5 minute major to Chara.

Also to think that a veteran like Chara, who has played at the Bell Centre many times, somehow not be even subconsciously aware of that stanchion still makes no sense to me.

Reactions: David Suzuki

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I will always maintain that Chara did that on purpose. It's no coincidence what happened in the game before where MP gave him a little shove after the OT goal and Chara went bananas.

I don't think he knew how serious the injury would be or the fallout, but he wanted to exact some sort of revenge.

Of course, he knew exactly what he was doing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This play was the scariest thing I've seen as a habs fan, since Trent McCleary blocked a shot with his throat.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Saw it live on TV. It was the first and only time that I seriously thought a player was dead. It was absolutely surreal to watch live.

Same here. I got that sinking feeling that the worst had just happened. It was an unforgettable moment.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The rules changed shortly after the incident. In today's NHL Chara is suspended without question. There was no excuse for that awful play, but back then the DoPS still had the stink of partisanship and the downplaying of headshots.

Personally, that was one of the most upsetting scenes I've seen in hockey. I'm sure Pacioretty lying inert on the ice was one of the reasons the NHL finally realized they couldn't let players get away with garbage like that.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The hit was disgusting, the non suspension by the son's father was banana republic like, but the aftermath drama was just infuriating. From Dr Recchi to the infamous "I didn't know who was on the ice" comment just proved how rigged the player of safety department was that year.

One of the dirtiest hit I've seen and the biggest Gong show ever.
Well said.............feel the same way.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The rules changed shortly after the incident. In today's NHL Chara is suspended without question. There was no excuse for that awful play, but back then the DoPS still had the stink of partisanship and the downplaying of headshots.

Personally, that was one of the most upsetting scenes I've seen in hockey. I'm sure Pacioretty lying inert on the ice was one of the reasons the NHL finally realized they couldn't let players get away with garbage like that.
How true..........it still feels like we all saw this yesterday.....
To this day, now when I see a Bruin laying on the ice, I could care less, and I know this is not right, but..........

Reactions: Lshap

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
How true..........it still feels like we all saw this yesterday.....
To this day, now when I see a Bruin laying on the ice, I could care less, and I know this is not right, but..........
I joined this site partially because of that hit. Browsing through the gazillions of comments and seeing the crazed disconnect from some Bruins fans made my blood boil. "Good hit, unfortunate result" was an ironic reply from a fan base that lost Savard to another 'good hit' that wasn't punished. Even more irony: the "Call 9/11" comments from the same fan base that Tweeted lovely sentiments to Subban and Joel Ward. We've all mellowed, but good times...

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad