GDT: 10|Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders|Feb 5th @ 7:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I think this will be a contest between the immovable object (the Penguins defense) and the leakable toliet (Fleury).

I bet you were nowhere to be found after the Devils game and after Vokoun let in that terrible goal off the glass.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What's the feeling about McDonald? Suspension was punishment enough? Haven't heard much noise about it.

I think it comes down to who took the hit. Just they way it is in sports. From players to fans. Star players it is big deal. A middling player, less of a big deal. A fringe player, very few people care.

Sid takes that hit, and it is probably a blood bath, and there is an outcry on the suspension.
It is Ben Lovejoy, and heck, the Pen's players on the ice didn't even seem to care about it. And the fans simply yawn regarding the suspension and it's length.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What's the feeling about McDonald? Suspension was punishment enough? Haven't heard much noise about it.

Dumb hit by a bad player on a bad player that got a suspension.

If someone fights him tonight, then it's settled...but I wouldn't expect a goon show at all tonight. The fans generally don't care because we're all pretty united in our hatred of Ben Lovejoy and he didn't get hurt.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I bet you were nowhere to be found after the Devils game and after Vokoun let in that terrible goal off the glass.

This is where your lack of actual hockey coaching/tactics is really holding you back. Every coach (head or goalie) instructs the goalie to attempt to cut off that dump-in. At goalie camp we had to do drills for over an hour to cutoff and control that puck shot in off the boards AND glass. The reason being is to keep the other team from retrieving the puck and establishing possession in the offensive zone. You are letting a < 1/1000 bounce determine whether a goal was "terrible"? Try harder.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
I thank the OP for the GDT, but can't help if they were trapped in the 88-90 era of parachute pants and neon coloured bike shorts. Fido from 7-Up anyone? Arsenio Hall. Woot woot woot. That font hurts my eyes.. especially the bright yellow and dark blue font on black background. Ahhhh!!! As a graphic designer this makes me sad. Nonetheless, kudos for the work. hehe

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
This is where your lack of actual hockey coaching/tactics is really holding you back. Every coach (head or goalie) instructs the goalie to attempt to cut off that dump-in. At goalie camp we had to do drills for over an hour to cutoff and control that puck shot in off the boards AND glass. The reason being is to keep the other team from retrieving the puck and establishing possession in the offensive zone. You are letting a < 1/1000 bounce determine whether a goal was "terrible"? Try harder.
I do t disagree that it was just an unlucky bounce but MAF would have been crucified for it and you're kidding yourself if you think he wouldn't have been, especially by the poster the poster you were quoting quoted.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
The hell?

I don't understand... Despres is a huge plus and has been getting in on goals, has been hitting and blocking shots, and has done this with minimal minutes, yet this is how he's rewarded? Guess it's still early into the season, we're 3 games above .500 and Blysma is thinking Despres has plenty of time to progress and develop as a strong dman. He probably sees what we see and more. Never hurts to give guys like Lovejoy a chance against the weaker teams. It's not like the kid will be ruined for sitting out this game.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

This is where your lack of actually watching the game is really holding you back. See, those of us who watch the game instead of looking at the box score or have fantasy leagues would know that earlier in the game the puck took a similar weird bounce, in which Vokoun went back to get it, then realized it didn't go behind the net. No damage done the first time, but at that point Vokoun should have realized he can't just assume the puck will go behind the net. I don't think any coach would mind his goalie being more conservative knowing the pucks are taking odd bounces off the glass. If Fleury lets that goal go in, you all go nuts. You should at least admit you're a hypocrite instead of making excuses for Vokoun you wouldn't make for Fleury. Try harder.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
During the Washington game, I remember Despres being slow in reacting on a play and the forechecker got the puck away from him. At that point, I said to myself, "I hope that play doesn't get him benched." I should have known it would.
:shakehead

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
During the Washington game, I remember Despres being slow in reacting on a play and the forechecker got the puck away from him. At that point, I said to myself, "I hope that play doesn't get him benched." I should have known it would.

He did seem to take a step back during the Washington game. Took two bad penalties too. Given how they've treated Tangradi, we can't be surprised they're doing this with Despres whether we agree with it or not.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I don't understand... Despres is a huge plus and has been getting in on goals, has been hitting and blocking shots, and has done this with minimal minutes, yet this is how he's rewarded? Guess it's still early into the season, we're 3 games above .500 and Blysma is thinking Despres has plenty of time to progress and develop as a strong dman. He probably sees what we see and more. Never hurts to give guys like Lovejoy a chance against the weaker teams. It's not like the kid will be ruined for sitting out this game.

The Islanders aren't terrible this year.

And Despres won't be ruined, but my day will by having to watch Lovejoy fumble around. The only acceptable game for Lovejoy to play in is one followed by the news that he's been traded to the LA Kings for Jessica Alba's phone number and a conditional 7th round pick.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009

Even still, he's so young. He's not a No. 7 guy like a Lovejoy who pretty much has reached his potential. He's shown a lot and Blysma sees that. He's bound to make mistakes due to his lack of experience at this level, so I am okay with this. It makes perfect sense at this stage of the game.

What I mean is Lovejoy is running out of chances, but for now you have to give the vet those last chances to prove himself over a rookie if he has the odd blunder. But again, blunders come at any age, and more-so with rookies.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
The Islanders aren't terrible this year.

And Despres won't be ruined, but my day will by having to watch Lovejoy fumble around. The only acceptable game for Lovejoy to play in is one followed by the news that he's been traded to the LA Kings for Jessica Alba's phone number and a conditional 7th round pick.

Well it's a small sample size.. Until the Islanders make the playoffs, I am not their biggest fan.... even though they have a load of potential for the future. As long as they don't do anything stupid with that potential they have. They still could have had Luongo and Gaborik/Heatley for the early 00's. hehe

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
So why not let Despres learn now, rather than sitting him and not even playing him in the AHL? He's going to stay with the NHL Pens and sitting him in the press box is going to make him even less ready come playoff time..

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
A Serious Man, a Penguins fan and a fellow Jessica Biel lover. You got taste, what can I say. What's your poison?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
So why not let Despres learn now, rather than sitting him and not even playing him in the AHL? He's going to stay with the NHL Pens and sitting him in the press box is going to make him even less ready come playoff time..

If I had to assume the mentality, the Penguins being a win now team, don't want to screw around and waste games hoping to develop a young guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad