GDT: [#10] Dallas Stars @ Philadelphia Flyers, 6:00PM CT (FS-SW, ESPN+)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
giphy.gif

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars will score two or less goals again and lose the game because they surrender 3+ . Not exactly bold i know since thats how all the games went but what can you say. The team is not generating enough offense and i do not see how that will randomly change without major changes somewhere.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars will score two or less goals again and lose the game because they surrender 3+ . Not exactly bold i know since thats how all the games went but what can you say. The team is not generating enough offense and i do not see how that will randomly change without major changes somewhere.

I'm gonna go crazy and say the Stars win 4-1. Pavelski with 2 PP goals, Gurianov with 1, and Seguin with the empty netter

If the Stars lose: 4-2 again

Last edited:
Reactions: Peeps

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
3-2 OT Philadelphia.

Monty will call it the best game this season.

Hopefully Jim Nill's tenure is "Dead by Dawn"

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
He's a smart guy, had the right idea about how to run the franchise. Just couldn't find a goalie and gave Hakstol too much rope. He'd be an improvement, to be sure.

He had a goalie in the minors ready to play that he refused to call up and force on his coach. Showing too much loyalty to veterans or coaches that aren't deserving is not a quality I want in an NHL GM. Shortly after Hextall was fired, Carter Hart was brought up and Philly improved.

Also, he drafted Patrick over Heiskanen. :shakehead

Last edited:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
He had a goalie in the minors ready to play that he refused to call up and force on his coach. Showing too much loyalty to veterans or coaches that aren't deserving is not a quality I want in an NHL GM. Shortly after Hextall was fired, Carter Hart was brought up and Philly improved.

Also, he drafted Patrick over Heiskanen. :shakehead

He did draft Carter Hart, so I suppose he should get some credit for that?

I'm not saying he ever was or ever will be infallible. Just saying I like his decision making process is all and would make for an above average GM if given another look.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why do fans still blame General Managers for draft decisions? Any blame should fall on the head of scouting directors, unless you think GMs micromanage their personnel.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
He did draft Carter Hart, so I suppose he should get some credit for that?

I'm not saying he ever was or ever will be infallible. Just saying I like his decision making process is all and would make for an above average GM if given another look.

You can't give him just the lone credit for drafting Hart (what's his draft record like, anyway? Not very familiar.) or else Nill gets cookies and keeps his job for Hintz.

Our issues go beyond drafting and poor development is right up there with poor drafting. If Hextall is going to not be perceptive about the development part, then we'll be talking the same shit 3-4 years into his tenure.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Why do fans still blame General Managers for draft decisions? Any blame should fall on the head of scouting directors, unless you think GMs micromanage their personnel.

I'm sure all GMs have a drafting/development philosophy for scouts to follow. Trust your personnel and let them do their job.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Repeated first round pick failures absolutely fall on the GM. Every GM has the time to fully evaluate the five to ten guys likely to be available when they pick.

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
You can't give him just the lone credit for drafting Hart (what's his draft record like, anyway? Not very familiar.) or else Nill gets cookies and keeps his job for Hintz.

Our issues go beyond drafting and poor development is right up there with poor drafting. If Hextall is going to not be perceptive about the development part, then we'll be talking the same **** 3-4 years into his tenure.

I apologize if my post wasn't clear. It was meant only as a cheeky response as to using Hart as a knock against Hextall's resume. Nothing more, not to be taken too seriously.

My position on drafting is the same as Satan's. Hire good scouts to make smart choices, trust their decisions. My criticism of Nill is that he was not hired a good scouting staff.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Repeated first round pick failures absolutely fall on the GM. Every GM has the time to fully evaluate the five to ten guys likely to be available when they pick.
Sure they have the time- but Jim Nill isn't pulling the trigger in June. It's Joe McDonnell's show.

What's on Jim Nill's shoulders is the fact Joe McDonnell is still earning a paycheque with a Dallas Stars logo on it despite constant failure in the first round.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
McDonnell would be the one to point the finger at. It's not like Jim Nill has time to personally scout these picks repeatedly through the year.

This isn't to say Nill hasn't dug his own grave in other areas though

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Because we can blame Nill for extending McDonnell's contract even after a few years of draft misses. Why reward him for being bad at his job? Because they are buddies, that's why.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
You can always blame the guy at the top because he's the one who hired the guy(s) that actually screwed up, and then refused to replace them once it became apparent that they screwed up.

Ultimate blame falls on Gaglardi, but since he's not going anywhere we focus on the first guy down the line who's replaceable.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
You can always blame the guy at the top because he's the one who hired the guy(s) that actually screwed up, and then refused to replace them once it became apparent that they screwed up.

Ultimate blame falls on Gaglardi, but since he's not going anywhere we focus on the first guy down the line who's replaceable.

Because we can blame Nill for extending McDonnell's contract even after a few years of draft misses. Why reward him for being bad at his job? Because they are buddies, that's why.

I'm not disagreeing with this. But when we say Jim Nill sucks in the first round- it's incorrect.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Yeah blame the guy who wrote a blank check to make this a more successful franchise from top to bottom. :shakehead

Reactions: Abilify and Satan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad