TSN: 10 AM TSN.ca: End of Season News Conference

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
What about Penner? I'm pretty sure Murray signed him out of college for Anaheim, and he also tried to trade for him during the Heatley fiasco. We could always use a big winger like him.

I think he's a likely candidate given the Murray connection actually.

Not sure if it will pan out but he is a Murray dude and he is big. Very lazy though.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think he's a likely candidate given the Murray connection actually.

Not sure if it will pan out but he is a Murray dude and he is big. Very lazy though.

not in the playoffs. when it matters

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Penner's playoff PPG is 0.46. His regular season PPG is 0.53.

He's Guillaume Latendresse.

saying that, it's obvious you haven't even watched him play in the post season. i don't have to ask. he's not a pt per game guy. he's a 2nd/3rd line grinding, smashing, front of the net, playoff guy.

The Fuhr*

He's not a 4th liner though. He was given a 4 year 1.9 million dollar per year deal.

Smith is supposed to be a quality 3rd liner. For most of this season he was functioning as a 2nd liner.

I also found McLean's comments interesting. I was pretty down on Smith like others. I found him to be soft this season and not even great with the puck. He did a good job defending other top centres but he was an offensive black hole and didnt employ the grit we've seen in the past.

I love the player Smith is supposed to be. Dollar store Spezza, the player he was this year, I can do without. If he isn't bringing grit and net drive, I don't mind dealing him at all.

There was a quote from Maclean during the season about Smith... He said with Spezza out, he asked Smith to be a pure shutdown guy and focus on keeping the other team of the score board... points were only a bonus... he was very happy with the way Smith excelled in the role he asked him to play.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Another note on Smith is how he carried the puck out of our zone, through the neutral zone and into enemy territory. He was very good at this and ensured we kept puck possession rather than just chipping it off the glass.

He always came back deep to help the D and end cycles quick.

I don't believe he is a natural scorer by any means and I am shocked he scored so many goals a year ago but he can skate and handle the puck pretty well plus he does have a hard shot, he just can't get it off or aim it very well!

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Another note on Smith is how he carried the puck out of our zone, through the neutral zone and into enemy territory. He was very good at this and ensured we kept puck possession rather than just chipping it off the glass.

He always came back deep to help the D and end cycles quick.

I don't believe he is a natural scorer by any means and I am shocked he scored so many goals a year ago but he can skate and handle the puck pretty well plus he does have a hard shot, he just can't get it off or aim it very well!

No Kidding, even our top scorer Michalek is not considered a natural scorer.

Berserker*

On the Team 1200 they seemed to think BM's comments were alluding to Clarkson but obviously easier said than done.

Clarkson could be a good option, but it really depends on the type of money he is looking for.
$3.5-4 million per year would be an ideal contract.
$4.5 million per year would be a bit pricey but still worth considering, and anything more than that is more than he is really worth.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
It is fun playing guessing games regarding who Murray is after, but I think it is safe to say he has had and continues to have long discussions with his scouts to evaluate who is out there. Last summer I would not have guessed in a million years that he would bring in someone like Methot, but in the end he was our best defenseman in a pretty tough season. Fans tend to go for flashy and big names, while Murray goes by scouting and careful analysis.

If I had to guess I believe that when the Sens announce who they are picking up via trade or UFA I will just shrug my shoulders and maybe be a little underwhelmed. But when the season starts I will probably be blown away again. The Sens have to be among the best organizations for assessing talent right now.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Clarkson won't come to ottawa.... he cheered for the leafs ...

The guy isn't a kid anymore. He's a professional athlete.

If Ottawa offers him a deal he likes more than the Leafs' one, he'll take it.

Leave the emotional attachments for the pre and post career.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Clarkson won't come to ottawa.... he cheered for the leafs ...

He came to our rookie camp as an undrafted UFA in 2004. It didn't matter than and it won't matter now if the organization shows him the Melnykbux.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I wouldn't touch Clarkson with a 10 foot pole. Some idiot is going to sign him for too much money. Lets just hope it's not our idiot.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Everyone overpays for every UFA that has value. Nature of competition.

I can understand overpaying for someone like Ovechkin if he somehow hit FA. Or Semin or Staal or even Bobby Ryan, etc...

I can't understand signing a guy like Clarkson.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for the recaps, BonkTastic. The typos weren't that distracting. :sarcasm:

I wonder if Murray could work something out with Chicago to address a defenceman. They need to sign Leddy and will certainly be crunching numbers.

Maybe we could pry Seabrook away?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I can't understand signing a guy like Clarkson.

I absolutely agree, but we see it happen every year. It's supply and demand, Clarkson is the shiny acquisition this summer, he lucked out that his contract ended this year when there's not much out there. There will be at least 10 GMs that will be under huge pressure to "do something".

You watch, by the time July rolls around, the hype for this guy will be huge, really huge. We'll hear it here too. I bet he gets at least $5 million a year for at least 6 years. It's nuts, stay away.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
There was a quote from Maclean during the season about Smith... He said with Spezza out, he asked Smith to be a pure shutdown guy and focus on keeping the other team of the score board... points were only a bonus... he was very happy with the way Smith excelled in the role he asked him to play.

I agree with this. Folks seem to forget the shift in game plan with all the injuries, MacLean did a fantastic job adapting. I thought Smith excelled too, a really nice player.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Murray talked about the possibility of making a trade with teams that are in trouble financially as well.

Which teams are/could be in trouble financially? Philly, Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Murray talked about the possibility of making a trade with teams that are in trouble financially as well.

Which teams are/could be in trouble financially? Philly, Anaheim, Chicago, Vancouver?

Those are the main teams with cap issues. I would assume he is also willing to poach from teams in a rebuild or with internal budgets that are reset in light of the new overall cap. For example, does Buffalo really want to keep Vaneck in the last year of a 7 mill deal when they are starting a rebuild? Hard to say. So I would not limit his statement to 4 or 5 teams because many more could be looking to lower their salary while picking up high end prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad