TSN: 10 AM TSN.ca: End of Season News Conference

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It still doesn't excuse Muckler from trading him for junk.

Seriously.

A modern day hypothetical version of the Havlat trade would be like "Well, Anaheim probably can't re-sign Bobby Ryan, so let's trade him AND SAKU KOIVU (because we gave up Smolinski in that deal, too! YAY!!!) to Winnipeg for Paul Postma and Carl Klingberg.

Slightly exaggerates? Maybe yeah... but almost as brutal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Seriously.

A modern day hypothetical version of the Havlat trade would be like "Well, Anaheim probably can't re-sign Bobby Ryan, so let's trade him AND SAKU KOIVU (because we gave up Smolinski in that deal, too! YAY!!!) to Winnipeg for Paul Postma and Carl Klingberg.

Slightly exaggerates? Maybe yeah... but almost as brutal.

Yeah, we got a 2nd too.:sarcasm:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I agree that Muckler was a complete tool- actually probably more like just senile- but I think he was on to something with Havlat that many Sens fans will never get.

Trading him was addition by subtraction- just look at the following year. Havlat was an odd character, and bad for the dressing room- on top of the fact that he was injured so often.

Was it excellent asset management? **** no. Was that the move that hamstrung the organization? Also no.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Havlat a bad character? Pure speculation on your part.

Comprehension failure? Odd character that was bad for the room.

I've heard things from people that were close enough to him. Like being comped meals regularly (as in before every home game) and not tipping servers. The dressing room stuff is speculative, but there's human behaviour that a reasonably socialized individual doesn't exhibit.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The three names that stand out to me in the 27-29 age category are Horton, Clarkson and Bickell.

Clarkson and Horton - if they go to UFA, which is no sure thing - are sure to be two of the more soughts after UFA's out there.

In Horton, we will definitely be getting a guy that can score 30 playing with Spezza, but will be demanding in the $5-$6M bracket as a UFA. He might even get $6M+, depending on the market. Would love to get him, but get a bit scared about term on the deal. If he wants 5 years, that would be a risk for the organization, as he might already be past his best before date. I think the Bruins just might let him walk.

In Clarkson, we will get a much bigger physical presence than Horton and a guy that is one tough mofo, but I'm not sure he'll be the true scorer we need. Yes, he scored 30 a few years ago with Parise, but has never scored as many as 20 in any other year. He is more likely a 20-25 goal guy with Spezza, but I'm ok with that. He will be in the $4-$5M range I suspect, although I have a feeling he will resign with the Devils. They have loads of cap room and really need him back.

In Bickell, obviously this is not a home run pick, and he might get resigned by the Hawks too, but he is a big body who is physical and could probably score 15-20 with the Sens. He also has the local connection from his 67's days, so this might be a fallback guy for the team to go get, although no one is sure whether he is a top 6 forward for sure either. Hawks have some cap issues.

The wild card? One of the teams with the biggest cap issues is the Flyers, and while I would LOVE to get Simmonds, I don't see that as very likely. The Flyers have to consider him as one of their untouchables to play alongside Giroux, Schenn, Voracek and Couturier going forward. But one forward with a big contract who had a really poor year (only 8 goals), and might have overstayed his welcome there is Scott Hartnell. At $4.2M it isn't a massive deal, although there is a ton of term left, which might be the reason the Flyers want to get out from under it now. He is 31 with a lot of hard years on him. But for the Sens, slotting him in with Spezza or Turris would add a lot of space for those guys, and he has the hands to still score some goals. We might be able to get him for something less than one of our elite prospects, or in the end, perhaps for a song if the Flyers are really up against it and there are no other suitors.

In Vancouver, their big issue is getting rid of Luongo's deal, but they might also consider moving Burrows for the exact same reason as Hartnell. 32, bit of an off year, still tons of term left on his $4+ deal. Wore out his welcome as they change their culture there. But he could look good beside Spezza too.

Possibly of note for Bickell....his wife is from Ottawa. I work with her father.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Sports franchises aren't the best profit generating ventures. The profit margins are generally pretty low and they often lose more money than they make. I think Melnyk stated in an article last year that the Senators franchise doesn't even start to generate a profit until they are in the second round of the playoffs. Owning a sports franchise is more of a hobby than an viable entrepreneurial endeavor.

Youre a fool if you buy that. Not only does Melnyk own the Sens, he also owns the building AND Capital Tickets.

He is making money LOOOONG before round 2.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Bickell's really grown as a player. I really wasn't a big fan in his junior days and even up until this year and even not long ago wasnt interested in him as an option, until I really watched him closely in the playoffs. He was lazy, seemed to try when he wanted too and took bad penalties. He's really matured a long ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad