GDT: 10/9/14 - Colorado @ Minnesota - 8PM CDT/4AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota

Roy is being baited by the Denver sports media (and he's taking the bait and talking like a fool).

The Denver media is utterly obsessed with Matt Cooke. It's almost pathological at this point. That article from Mark Kiszla is disgusting. He's openly lobbying for retaliation against Cooke or to exact revenge for the Barrie hit by calling for the Avs "to bloody a victim wearing a Wild uniform." I guess sports journalism in Denver is a highly partisan thing.

Seems like Kiszla was more disappointed that Cooke wasn't taken off on a stretcher than he was in the score.

Can only imagine what it would be like if Adrian Dater hadn't been given a two week timeout for his Twitter tantrum. His head must be close to exploding seeing his Avs getting drubbed 5-0 and his villain Matt Cooke surviving to play another game. If he hadn't had his Twitter meltdown a few days ago; it certainly would have happened last night. It's a shame really.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Karen Bye is awesome. I played hockey against her for years, and attended hockey camps with her in River Falls as well.

Besides being a top member of Women's Olympic hockey teams, she was also Captain of the River Falls High School hockey team; and by that, I mean the MEN's team, as there wasn't any girls hockey then. She was a hell of a player!
I played defense at RFHS a few years behind her. She was really good even for mens. She came back to practice with the team a few times when she was on the national team. You could out-muscle her, but she was still pretty strong and had good speed and skills.

And, this is kind of funny to think back on, but I grew up on her block and she and her brothers had an outdoor rink in their yard with a 1/2 of the rink with full-size boards. I drove by it so many times that I asked my Dad if I could try hockey because it looked fun.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
What really amazes me is all this venom regarding Cooke is that his penalty was for knee to knee contact. It is by far the most reflex/instinctual type of penalty there is. I guy tries to get by you, and you reflexively stick your leg out to prevent it. It is NOT some premeditated evil plan!

Now if Cooke had done to Barrie; what he did to McDonough of the Rangers(Deadly Elbow to the head), then I would totally understand, or had he slashed and broken his leg like the Canucks did to Koivu, I would get it. But the leg trip, is Not a evil mastermind product.

Colorado fans have long been some of the worse fans in hockey (Edmonton and Canucks are up there too.) And it is beyond pathetic their obsession with this, and their insistence that Barrie is the 2nd coming of Dennis Potvin.

IF the Avs manage to take Matt Cooke or another Wild player out with a dirty play, I sure as hell hope the league throws the book at them, considering their HEAD COACH is on record saying he wants revenge.

BurnsyMN

Mar 27, 2014
St Paul

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I played defense at RFHS a few years behind her. She was really good even for mens. She came back to practice with the team a few times when she was on the national team. You could out-muscle her, but she was still pretty strong and had good speed and skills.

And, this is kind of funny to think back on, but I grew up on her block and she and her brothers had an outdoor rink in their yard with a 1/2 of the rink with full-size boards. I drove by it so many times that I asked my Dad if I could try hockey because it looked fun.

That's a cool way to get into hockey!

I was able to outmuscle Karen too, but I was over 6'2 and 240 pounds in high school.
I enjoyed playing River Falls, because Karen and I would always talk on the ice, since we were friends. Plus my team (New Richmond) was always able to beat RF back in that time.

The only bad thing at RF was getting suspended for a game my senior season after I accidently speared a guy in the head. (last name of the RF kid was Joseph) And it truly was an accident, I was picking the puck up behind my net, and I look up, and my WHOLE line is changing, so I'm out there alone against 5 guys. So I try to flip the puck out of the zone to buy some time, and I whiffed on the puck, and my stick comes up and hits Joseph right in the facemask. Ref called it a spear and threw me out. Was such BS since I was probably the most honest/clean player on my team.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
That's a cool way to get into hockey!

I was able to outmuscle Karen too, but I was over 6'2 and 240 pounds in high school.
I enjoyed playing River Falls, because Karen and I would always talk on the ice, since we were friends. Plus my team (New Richmond) was always able to beat RF back in that time.

The only bad thing at RF was getting suspended for a game my senior season after I accidently speared a guy in the head. (last name of the RF kid was Joseph) And it truly was an accident, I was picking the puck up behind my net, and I look up, and my WHOLE line is changing, so I'm out there alone against 5 guys. So I try to flip the puck out of the zone to buy some time, and I whiffed on the puck, and my stick comes up and hits Joseph right in the facemask. Ref called it a spear and threw me out. Was such BS since I was probably the most honest/clean player on my team.
That's really funny. Small world.

Yeah, we had to keep our heads up when we played New Richmond. I definitely got a concussion from a center ice hit from NR's captain my junior year. Mostly my fault, but I was outweighed by 50 pounds, so I didn't stand a chance. I'm pretty sure shortly thereafter that guy was kicked off the team for hazing underclassmen.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Uhh guys. I haven't been around much since last season. Did something happen to the main board GDT's or am I just blind?

They're only doing GDT's for special occasions on the mainboards this year.

Come discuss the games here with us :nod:

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
What really amazes me is all this venom regarding Cooke is that his penalty was for knee to knee contact. It is by far the most reflex/instinctual type of penalty there is. I guy tries to get by you, and you reflexively stick your leg out to prevent it. It is NOT some premeditated evil plan!

Now if Cooke had done to Barrie; what he did to McDonough of the Rangers(Deadly Elbow to the head), then I would totally understand, or had he slashed and broken his leg like the Canucks did to Koivu, I would get it. But the leg trip, is Not a evil mastermind product.

Colorado fans have long been some of the worse fans in hockey (Edmonton and Canucks are up there too.) And it is beyond pathetic their obsession with this, and their insistence that Barrie is the 2nd coming of Dennis Potvin.

IF the Avs manage to take Matt Cooke or another Wild player out with a dirty play, I sure as hell hope the league throws the book at them, considering their HEAD COACH is on record saying he wants revenge.

Well put.

A few years back Darcy Tucker (then playing for the Avs) told Nick Schultz that he was going to take out his knees and then later in the game he proceeded to attempt do just that with a wicked cheap shot. He got two minutes but that was it and luckily Schultz avoided the hit at the last second. The league took no action. I think they may have warned him about doing it in the future but that was it.

If Yeo had said what Roy just said to the Denver media there might be a slight chance that the league would say something to him. But with the legend Patrick Roy ... no chance of that ever happening.

If the Avs come out and goon it up on Saturday ... how do we respond?

I hope we don't respond the way Zucker did last night after Landeskog's cheap shot on Carter. I know a lot of fans approved of Zucker "sticking up" for his teammate last night; not me. Well at least not the way Zucker did it; a mild cross check on the offending party and getting two minutes to even things up doesn't cut it, and I don't think it makes any kind of a statement either. No one should expect a small guy like Zucker to "stand up" to a 225 lbs guy and take a stupid penalty.

The Wild are just not built to respond to cheap shots other than on the power play. I hope that's they way they play it. Putting Stu Bickel in the lineup on Saturday is exactly the wrong thing to do and won't provide a lick of deterrent either.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
The Denver post has their beat writer go off on random people on twitter, suspends him and has this guy sit in and write this trash? I get it, you have to suspend a guy for representing your paper in a bad light but having an article written that basically puts a bounty on a players head, thats okay?

I can't imagine the editors at either the Strib or PP letting something like that get into print.

Wonder if Dater ghost wrote that article and Kiszla put his name on it.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
ORLY Patty Roy?

272b82c92c10ec2d9bde7406edb3077811b29ef205a7c5432a51f77c0665f840.jpg

If something does happen, looking forward to Yeo hopping the boards. Because I think he's crazy enough to do it. :sarcasm:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
We need to respond to cheap shots with a lethal powerplay. A physical response is one thing and would be nice, but it's every enforcer and cheap shot artists habit to flee off the ice when the other teams enforcer gets on the ice to retaliate. Plus the instigator penalty adds another barrier to proper retaliation: grabbing the guy and forcing a fight with him to avenge your team mate.

What we need is to play physically ourselves and not be afraid to really hit the opponent. Put the check back in forecheck. It's something we've been complaining about with this team for years. It would actually make other teams think twice if we were matching their physicality instead of letting them dictate that part of the game.

It's almost like the way a schoolyard bully works. He hassles someone and that kid tries to ignore it and move on, so what does the bully do? Hassles him even harder. What happens when the kid starts to stick up for himself or someone else sticks up for him on his behalf? The bully often starts to back down cause he knows he's going to get as much as he gives. Not the best comparison, but the concept is the same. Teams get extra physical with us because they know we usually won't.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I can't imagine the editors at either the Strib or PP letting something like that get into print.

As long as there several peole in Denver taling about it, i think they might love it.

It about ratings and hits. Mission success.

If you dont like it, just dont look. Just dont look. Then it goes away.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
We need to respond to cheap shots with a lethal powerplay. A physical response is one thing and would be nice, but it's every enforcer and cheap shot artists habit to flee off the ice when the other teams enforcer gets on the ice to retaliate. Plus the instigator penalty adds another barrier to proper retaliation: grabbing the guy and forcing a fight with him to avenge your team mate.

What we need is to play physically ourselves and not be afraid to really hit the opponent. Put the check back in forecheck. It's something we've been complaining about with this team for years. It would actually make other teams think twice if we were matching their physicality instead of letting them dictate that part of the game.

It's almost like the way a schoolyard bully works. He hassles someone and that kid tries to ignore it and move on, so what does the bully do? Hassles him even harder. What happens when the kid starts to stick up for himself or someone else sticks up for him on his behalf? The bully often starts to back down cause he knows he's going to get as much as he gives. Not the best comparison, but the concept is the same. Teams get extra physical with us because they know we usually won't.

The instigator is oh well. So we lose Bickel or Ballard or Carter etc... no big loss.

I was glad Zucker and Carter took matching minors. Kind of set the message right away, "NO!."

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Interesting stuff:

The line of Granlund, Parise and Pominville was ridiculously dominant, getting 92% of the shot attempts when they were on the ice.

Wild LW Jason Zucker (15 attempts for) and C Kyle Brodziak (14 attempts for) were not on the ice for a shot attempt against at even strength.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Folin gave a few sloppy passes and could've been a bit more quicker with his decision making. He did okay for the most part, although Avs sucked. I think next game will be a better indicator.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
That cross check by Zucker wasn't weak, and good on him. Love that spirit. Glad he didn't actually drop the gloves being outweighed by that much but I have a feeling he might have if there wasn't a rumpus around them.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
How did Folin play?
Folin is an upgrade over Stoner and Dumba is an upgrade over Ballard. They had some rookie moments but they will be really good by the time playoffs start.

Folin particularly had some qquality shots on net and some hits.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Here's someone's video of the pregame intro thing.

Doesn't quite capture just how BRIGHT and LOUD the whole thing was but at least it's something. Also is too zoomed in so you can't see how all the screens throughout the arena were used.

Here's one that's a lower quality but gives a better idea about how bright it all was.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Folin is an upgrade over Stoner and Dumba is an upgrade over Ballard. They had some rookie moments but they will be really good by the time playoffs start.

Folin particularly had some qquality shots on net and some hits.

I personally liked Ballard. Maybe not over giving a youngster important development time but for a #6 defenseman, I liked what he did. So I would still say Dumba did not play as well as Ballard but all that means is, Dumba showed rookie jitters. Once he gets a few games on his belt, he'll be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad