GDT: 10/9/14 - Colorado @ Minnesota - 8PM CDT/4AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Anyone have that entire shift on video? That may be a "The Shift" for us. Bruce, Parise, The Mayor, etc. What a freaking forecheck. Spurg goal.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Back from the game, loved every minute of it.

Will just highlight a few of the negatives I saw since there were way too many positives to point out.

-Dumba was shaky, especially in the first period
-Didn't really notice Vanek much or that whole line in general
-Haula wasn't that noticeable either

A few other notables I can think of. Coyle came out poorly, but really picked up his game in the second and especially the third period. Nino was awesome, as was the top line obviously. Kuemper looked good, and Folin looked comfortable too.

Dumba's need's another year to get more body mass/ physical. He just turned 20 and yet he looks the part. I was more surprised Yeo didn't put him and Folin out there on the PK with a 5-0 lead. Yet I can understand, Stick with the game plan with both rookies...NOT to much to SOON.

Vanek Had a great difflection on the PP in the Second Period I think. It just missed 5 hole. But don't worry he will score 60-70pts. So what is the problem again?

Haula was great are you kidding me? Shut down Mckinnon multiple times. Mckinnon was so frustrated by haula all game.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
You have to take into account that the Avs played exceptionally poorly.

The question is how much of this game was the Avs playing poorly, and how much of it was us being an even better team than we were last year?

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
The question is how much of this game was the Avs playing poorly, and how much of it was us being an even better team than we were last year?

Right lets not rush to judgment too much over one game. The AVS didn't come too play after 3-0. However I will say I was very impressed by game one. The road games are a different story as we were terrible on the road last year, however this is a new year and hopefully we can improve on that. I know as wild fans we are expecting a step up from our young kids( Coyle, Nino, Haula, Brodin, Kemps) with new additions like Vanek and Peppering in of Dumba, Folin and Zucker. If we can put it all together and a little Magic, Luck and Hockey Gods, We'll be OK.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Right lets not rush to judgment too much over one game. The AVS didn't come too play after 3-0. However I will say I was very impressed by game one. The road games are a different story as we were terrible on the road last year, however this is a new year and hopefully we can improve on that. I know as wild fans we are expecting a step up from our young kids( Coyle, Nino, Haula, Brodin, Kemps) with new additions like Vanek and Peppering in of Dumba, Folin and Zucker. If we can put it all together and a little Magic, Luck and Hockey Gods, We'll be OK.

Well we will see if Yeo still remembers how to do road game matchups on saturday. He did a decent job during the playoffs.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Well we will see if Yeo still remembers how to do road game matchups on saturday. He did a decent job during the playoffs.

But the regular season...? Last year....? Road games? "I think this year its going to be more important for us to be a road team." Zack Parise"

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Man I can't wait for Dumba to get some more strength. This wasn't Dumba's best game, but you could tell he's going to be really exciting to watch when he's stronger and further along in his development.

Can Yeo force him to work out with Bruce Granville next summer please?

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Give it some time with Dumba...same with Folin. Might see both sent down to the Ahl this year and we can't complain about that. We will know 10-20 games in wheather they belong or not.

Last edited:

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
yeah it looks good after one game but...save that for 50 games into the season. right now I would say at least top 10

Based on puck possession stats, that top line was actually one of the best lines in all of hockey when they played together last year. Tied for 3rd in FF%, tied for 7th in GF% and 2nd in expected GF% for lines that played over 200 mins together. So saying they are top 5 wouldnt be that much of stretch, even right now.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just one game but wow that was fun. i almost said i was going to do a shot of patron for every wild goal whew glad i only did one. (had to work today). i saw the cut above ryan carters eye , how did he get that? i did see his wrestling match but not sure how he got cut? cheers!

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Based on puck possession stats, that top line was actually one of the best lines in all of hockey when they played together last year. Tied for 3rd in FF%, tied for 7th in GF% and 2nd in expected GF% for lines that played over 200 mins together. So saying they are top 5 wouldnt be that much of stretch, even right now.

I'll take your word for that:yo:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I like how they don't even acknowledge Koivu when mentioning leadership in the team :laugh:

I don't see how that's funny unless you're talking about the utter lack of knowledge those people showed by doing that.

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
I don't see how that's funny unless you're talking about the utter lack of knowledge those people showed by doing that.

Exactly, can't be bothered to ***** and moan, because its ESPN, who actually expects them to know anything about hockey?

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Tons of positives from a night in which the Wild pretty much just ran train on the Avs. I'll just note a few which, if they are a trend, could be reason for a dramatic jump for the Wild this season:

• If not for the night Parise just showed, I'd say Granlund might be the Wild's best forward. Maybe player. Vision, quickness, and ability. It's all there right now.

• Spurgeon and Scandella are so good. Both keep finding another level in their development. Two of the better players in the league that aren't really talked about.

• Nino looked like a force all night, all over the ice. He's going to score some goals this year (and into the future) if he can find a line that has stability and ability to create.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Great, dominant game by the Wild.

It was hilarious how the announcers talked up the Avs like they were the better team in the first period, talking about their free agent nobody signings from Europe, and then they got just destroyed.

Parise-Grandlund-Pominville was dominant. Granted, they won't always face as inept a defense as Colorado every night (their defense is awful), but wow. Granlund was even more slippery than last year and it was obvious his confidence was through the roof. Parise looked incredible, fast as ever, just a hound on the puck. Pommer is going to cash in playing with those guys.

Vanek-Koivu-Cooke were okay, not great. Koivu made a few nice plays but didn't make a lot of stuff happen at even strength. Cooke was a non-factor. Vanek was also kind of a non-factor at even strength.

Nino-Haula-Coyle was weird. Haula had a few nice shifts, but Nino was just a monster all night. He needs to go up on that second line. Looked great. Again, a hound on the puck, so strong, making plays too. I literally didn't notice Coyle at all until 4 minutes remaining in the first. I might have seen him on the ice two or three times? Looked lost. He had a nice shift where he fought to keep the puck in the O zone but that's about it.

Zucker-Brodziak-Carter was basically Zucker and two other guys. Brodziak looked okay I guess. Carter was awful, took a dumb penalty, couldn't skate, kept falling over, got his ass kicked a few times. Zucker was very fast and physical. He should be on the third line.

Defensively, you know what you got from the top four, they looked great although Scandy could get to a higher level. Dumba lived up to his reputation, high risk high reward. He looks like he will be a player, but made some mistakes. Folin looked pretty safe, made a few nice plays.

Kuemper looked really shaky to me. I know he got the SO but it looked like he wasn't tracking the puck or controlling rebounds well. Benefited from a couple posts, fumbles by the Avs, and good play in front of him. Also, when he played the puck, more often than not a nightmare. He passed it to the other team once. Needs to calm down. Good move by Yeo to start Kuemps at home and Backs on the road.

Special teams, well obviously the PK was good, I thought they had up and down kills but early on with Parise and Granlund and Koivu making big time plays to drive the puck up ice. PP looked so much better with Granlund over Koivu. Night and day. They were moving the puck and impossible to stop. That is the movement I've been waiting to see for 10 years now. Before, they used to stand still and pass the puck around. Now, they are shifting around the ice and pulling players out of position to open up passing and shooting lanes. Koivu really struggled gaining the zone while on the second PP unit and I didn't see much happening when he was out there.

Obviously not winning anything besides game one, but you can't ask for a better start than that. A few line tweaks and they will be fighting for the top spot in the top division in hockey.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Besides all the obvious ones, I thought Folin looked really good tonight.

Me too. Though he looked lost on the one sequence ( where Vanek cleared the puck from the crease before it went in) that almost resulted in a goal. Dumba, on the other hand, was meh. And I'm a Dumba bobo.

Scandella looked great, as did All the top 4 D.

Haula made a really good pass to Nino on a 2 on 1 that he should've scored on, but whiffed. Coyle looked a bit clumsy, but still was a force on the boards. Even if he turns out to be a third line grinder, he'll be a good third line grinder. I do think Nino will profit playing with a very smart player like Haula. Let's give that line some time to gel. I think Nino and Coyle have to figure out who is going to do what, as they have somewhat similar games. I think Coyle should be the grinder, Nino the scorer, and Haula the set up man. I can roll with that any day.

Oh, and I thought Koivu looked very good. Hopefully this beefed up forward line up and reduced minutes for him will result in him staying fresher and having jump like he did last night.

It remains to be seen if Zucker can keep up the physical play over an 80 game season. He isn't that big, and I think his talents lie in another direction. In other words, he's not Clutterbuck, and shouldn't be trying to play like him.

Last edited:

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
tumblr_lvfel74nkG1qe87lz.gif

I'm watching this while listening to Levels from the post above. It's quite entertaining.

Great game from the Wild. I'm expecting a more difficult match on Saturday. Hopefully the game won't get too dirty. Hey, Wild are in the top 10 for goals/for.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
The Avs were exceptionally terrible last night. It was awesome and I'm celebrating it. We looked good but there is a little kernal of truth in the sour grapes coming from some Avs fans... We looked good at least partially because the Avs are bad away from the puck at the best of times and when not one of their powerful offensive weapons is going a game is going to look like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad