GDT: 10/9/14 - Colorado @ Minnesota - 8PM CDT/4AM Suomi - NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
The Avs were exceptionally terrible last night. It was awesome and I'm celebrating it. We looked good but there is a little kernal of truth in the sour grapes coming from some Avs fans... We looked good at least partially because the Avs are bad away from the puck at the best of times and when not one of their powerful offensive weapons is going a game is going to look like this.

That defense they have is truly terribad.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Great, dominant game by the Wild.

It was hilarious how the announcers talked up the Avs like they were the better team in the first period, talking about their free agent nobody signings from Europe, and then they got just destroyed.

Parise-Grandlund-Pominville was dominant. Granted, they won't always face as inept a defense as Colorado every night (their defense is awful), but wow. Granlund was even more slippery than last year and it was obvious his confidence was through the roof. Parise looked incredible, fast as ever, just a hound on the puck. Pommer is going to cash in playing with those guys.

Vanek-Koivu-Cooke were okay, not great. Koivu made a few nice plays but didn't make a lot of stuff happen at even strength. Cooke was a non-factor. Vanek was also kind of a non-factor at even strength.

Nino-Haula-Coyle was weird. Haula had a few nice shifts, but Nino was just a monster all night. He needs to go up on that second line. Looked great. Again, a hound on the puck, so strong, making plays too. I literally didn't notice Coyle at all until 4 minutes remaining in the first. I might have seen him on the ice two or three times? Looked lost. He had a nice shift where he fought to keep the puck in the O zone but that's about it.

Zucker-Brodziak-Carter was basically Zucker and two other guys. Brodziak looked okay I guess. Carter was awful, took a dumb penalty, couldn't skate, kept falling over, got his ass kicked a few times. Zucker was very fast and physical. He should be on the third line.

Defensively, you know what you got from the top four, they looked great although Scandy could get to a higher level. Dumba lived up to his reputation, high risk high reward. He looks like he will be a player, but made some mistakes. Folin looked pretty safe, made a few nice plays.

Kuemper looked really shaky to me. I know he got the SO but it looked like he wasn't tracking the puck or controlling rebounds well. Benefited from a couple posts, fumbles by the Avs, and good play in front of him. Also, when he played the puck, more often than not a nightmare. He passed it to the other team once. Needs to calm down. Good move by Yeo to start Kuemps at home and Backs on the road.

Special teams, well obviously the PK was good, I thought they had up and down kills but early on with Parise and Granlund and Koivu making big time plays to drive the puck up ice. PP looked so much better with Granlund over Koivu. Night and day. They were moving the puck and impossible to stop. That is the movement I've been waiting to see for 10 years now. Before, they used to stand still and pass the puck around. Now, they are shifting around the ice and pulling players out of position to open up passing and shooting lanes. Koivu really struggled gaining the zone while on the second PP unit and I didn't see much happening when he was out there.

Obviously not winning anything besides game one, but you can't ask for a better start than that. A few line tweaks and they will be fighting for the top spot in the top division in hockey.

Coyle won two physical battles that almost directly affected the Nino and Suter goals, but yeah, he's still leaving a little be desired with the puck on his stick.

We really could've hit double digits last night.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I was at the game and was going to post on here afterward...but was so tired out from screaming I passed out as soon as I got home. :laugh:

The question is how much of this game was the Avs playing poorly, and how much of it was us being an even better team than we were last year?

This is what we were talking about between intermissions and on the way home.

How much is it the Wild look UNBELIEVABLE and they have drastically made changes from last year? Is it a one off? Were they just fired up because it's the home opener and they generally do the business at home?

Was Varlamov solved? or did he just have an off night? Are the Avies that bad? or did they just come out of the gates in the absolute worst way possible and the Wild curb stomped them?

I think it's a combination of a lot of things. I think Saturday will tell us a lot more.

The way the Wild adjusted to their play in the playoffs last year really neutralized their game, and I think that was part of tonight, but the Avies looked pretty terrible, you wouldn't have said they had any world class talent on the ice when you saw them skating, whereas the Wild looked like a machine.

The depth is there, and Fontaine isn't even healthy yet. I liked what I saw from Carter, Zucker, etc.

The hit in that third period that Landeskog put on Carter was worth more than a 2, if that was Cooke hitting someone else he'd have been suspended from the way it looked. I haven't watched the game on DVR yet, but I will at some point.

It seemed there were a bunch of phantom calls, more so than usual, but with a 5 rip thrashing I won't complain...too much.

Also, apparently they are doing this Wild magazine bit now instead of a regular program.....so two bucks more for the same thing over and over (each month) and a worse program that's now just a line up card. The changes this year have been about 90% negative.

Other notes: The presence of the Little Brown Jug was awesome. Also, Karyn Bye Dietz' Let's Play Hockey was one of the better ones I've heard. Probably because she's likely an actual fan of the team.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Unless the Avs D can quickly turn things around, I think we should expect more of the same.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Avs fan. Just have to say that Suter is the best defenseman in the league. Guy is a stud of epic proportions. Should be a perennial Norris but guys with more flair always get the vote. If I was starting a team, and could choose any d-man in the league, it would be Suter or Doughty.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I thought they did call boarding; Zucker with a cross check, which was legit.

They did but it was a very late whistle. Like quite a few of the calls were. Hoping its just the refs trying to get back into the swing of things too. That and the game was incredibly fast last night.

sloughfeg

Oct 5, 2014
Brodin looked like a pro. His game is quiet but so solid. He's also noticeably bigger than he was last year. He was a factor in a few of those goals, despite not getting his name on the scoresheet.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Unless the Avs D can quickly turn things around, I think we should expect more of the same.

It will also be interesting to see if Varly's going to be able to repeat his last season's numbers. The Avs might regress this season.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Avs fan. Just have to say that Suter is the best defenseman in the league. Guy is a stud of epic proportions. Should be a perennial Norris but guys with more flair always get the vote. If I was starting a team, and could choose any d-man in the league, it would be Suter or Doughty.

Cheers man. Honestly, I think if you watch him in person he's even more amazing. I never really appreciated exactly how good he was until he came here and I got to see him put in shift after shift after shift.

I remember taking my godfather last year against Winnipeg, and he was basically memorized by Suter all game and how he controlled play, defended and did all the little things. He couldn't stop talking about him (he hadn't been live in a few years, and had only seen him on TV since he had joined the team).

If you are going Saturday, or any other time vs. the Wild this year, he's definitely worth the price of admission if you can appreciate defense and you are on here, so clearly you've got to be a good hockey mind that does.

Brodin looked like a pro. His game is quiet but so solid. He's also noticeably bigger than he was last year. He was a factor in a few of those goals, despite not getting his name on the scoresheet.

Had a bunch of great crisp passes and heads up plays, I thought he was quite good, if not an unsung player in this one as you say.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

Noticed this too. He looked a lot stronger.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Uhh guys. I haven't been around much since last season. Did something happen to the main board GDT's or am I just blind?

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
needless to say there is no love lost between these two teams.

Wild came out flying, creative, and just impressive. I will hold my overall enthusiasm as it is only one game and the Avs looked like poopy. I along with the rest of the players will see how the game goes tomorrow to see if this is the pace they will keep up.

I didn't notice Vanek much............well, 2nd line that much.............but I am A-OK with our lines right now. Carter took a dumb penalty, but I am giving him a pass for now as I think he is in that mentality that he is fighting for a spot and wants to show he should stay here, think Clutterbuck and all of his hitting from his first call up. He will settle down and play his game that the Devils fans told us we will love.

Good to see us come out and dominate. Let's see how tomorrow night goes in front of a very hostile crowd and even more pissed off Avs players.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodin should get it; Coyle never touched the puck, just shielded his guy from it.

No, it was scored at my end, I had clear view...that assist was rightfully changed to Coyle. In fact, I was surprised when Brodin was credited initially, and commented that will change pretty quick after they look at it, then it was.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I was at the game and was going to post on here afterward...but was so tired out from screaming I passed out as soon as I got home. :laugh:

This is what we were talking about between intermissions and on the way home.

How much is it the Wild look UNBELIEVABLE and they have drastically made changes from last year? Is it a one off? Were they just fired up because it's the home opener and they generally do the business at home?

Was Varlamov solved? or did he just have an off night? Are the Avies that bad? or did they just come out of the gates in the absolute worst way possible and the Wild curb stomped them?

I think it's a combination of a lot of things. I think Saturday will tell us a lot more.

The way the Wild adjusted to their play in the playoffs last year really neutralized their game, and I think that was part of tonight, but the Avies looked pretty terrible, you wouldn't have said they had any world class talent on the ice when you saw them skating, whereas the Wild looked like a machine.

The depth is there, and Fontaine isn't even healthy yet. I liked what I saw from Carter, Zucker, etc.

The hit in that third period that Landeskog put on Carter was worth more than a 2, if that was Cooke hitting someone else he'd have been suspended from the way it looked. I haven't watched the game on DVR yet, but I will at some point.

It seemed there were a bunch of phantom calls, more so than usual, but with a 5 rip thrashing I won't complain...too much.

Also, apparently they are doing this Wild magazine bit now instead of a regular program.....so two bucks more for the same thing over and over (each month) and a worse program that's now just a line up card. The changes this year have been about 90% negative.

Other notes: The presence of the Little Brown Jug was awesome. Also, Karyn Bye Dietz' Let's Play Hockey was one of the better ones I've heard. Probably because she's likely an actual fan of the team.
In regards to the magazine, it really isn't that different from what they'd do with the programs in the past. They have always been monthly.....the same content for roughly 6-10 games. The only thing that changed each game was the cover and roster insert. So the program now is basically the same except they made the line-up card (that will have a different cover each game) separate from the monthly content that is upgraded to magazine form.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
It looks we are two different teams with out lines out there.

Granny's line just flat out flies around.

Koivu's was quiet but a few bounces here and there and anek has two goals easy. A quick counter punch.

Coyle and Zucker are on the wrong lines. Zucker is ready to buzz around and Coyle is looking to out work the other team.

Coyle- Koivu- Nino

Vanek- Haula- Zucker

Cooke- Brodz- Carter

COL has to do somehting different next game.

Do you dress

Ballard
Bickel
Carter

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed

Karen Bye is awesome. I played hockey against her for years, and attended hockey camps with her in River Falls as well.

Besides being a top member of Women's Olympic hockey teams, she was also Captain of the River Falls High School hockey team; and by that, I mean the MEN's team, as there wasn't any girls hockey then. She was a hell of a player!

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
It looks we are two different teams with out lines out there.

Granny's line just flat out flies around.

Koivu's was quiet but a few bounces here and there and anek has two goals easy. A quick counter punch.

Coyle and Zucker are on the wrong lines. Zucker is ready to buzz around and Coyle is looking to out work the other team.

Coyle- Koivu- Nino

Vanek- Haula- Zucker

Cooke- Brodz- Carter

COL has to do somehting different next game.

Do you dress

Ballard
Bickel
Carter

Change the lines after arguably the best game in Wild history :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad