GDT: 10/27 Nashville Predators @ LA Kings 7:30 PST

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dowd is honestly playing like a 2C. Him and Brown being on the third line--and Andreoff showing some capability to move up--is part of the reason our depth looks so good right now.

Another reason is Forbort and Gilbert being competent with the puck. Forbs in particular is getting stronger every game, fits right in, both look like good, mostly reliable #5s right now.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar is 4th in ES, 64th in PP, 47th in SH, and 2nd in total ice time by forwards. Within a minute, give or take, of most of the top guys in the league in the average game so far.

From what I'm seeing, his actual salary of $14m is the highest in the league. He should be playing a lot. He's getting paid to be exactly that guy.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Dowd is honestly playing like a 2C. Him and Brown being on the third line--and Andreoff showing some capability to move up--is part of the reason our depth looks so good right now.

Another reason is Forbort and Gilbert being competent with the puck. Forbs in particular is getting stronger every game, fits right in, both look like good, mostly reliable #5s right now.

Which changes a few equations. If McNabb, Forbort, and Gilbert are at least decent, and someone like Dowd does it all season, and even Brown does something again, to go along with the top guys, then the team can be a threat. That was always the case though, but all the questions were up in the air, as it was a re-setting type summer. If all these cheap options produce, that's how teams win.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Kopitar is 4th in ES, 64th in PP, 47th in SH, and 2nd in total ice time by forwards. Within a minute, give or take, of most of the top guys in the league in the average game so far.

From what I'm seeing, his actual salary of $14m is the highest in the league. He should be playing a lot. He's getting paid to be exactly that guy.

Kane and Toews both make more than he does but I agree with you to a certain extent. there is definitely more expected of him this season although I think there is a fine line between playing a lot and playing yourself into the ground. Kopi has been a warrior his entire tenure with the Kings, hopefully he can continue that and stay healthy

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

He's played one less game than most of those guys though. His ice time/game 22:26 is 2nd only to Patrick Kane and a few seconds more than ROR (who had similar time played last year). I think we can agree Kopi plays a far more exhausting game than Kane and far more abrasive than ROR. There's a steeper dropoff after that. I'd also argue all the OT games influence the ice time but he played what, 3 minutes straight in OT last night? I'm more worried about stuff like that than total ice time (though much of it was standing around on the PP so last night wasn't so bad).

Which changes a few equations. If McNabb, Forbort, and Gilbert are at least decent, and someone like Dowd does it all season, and even Brown does something again, to go along with the top guys, then the team can be a threat. That was always the case though, but all the questions were up in the air, as it was a re-setting type summer. If all these cheap options produce, that's how teams win.

Very much agreed. And this is BEFORE potential options like Gravel, Kempe, etc.

I know a lot of the conversation was worried about depth, I'm more worried about our top guys being our top guys.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Kane and Toews both make more than he does but I agree with you to a certain extent. there is definitely more expected of him this season although I think there is a fine line between playing a lot and playing yourself into the ground. Kopi has been a warrior his entire tenure with the Kings, hopefully he can continue that and stay healthy

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2017/salary

I'm going by the salary. At least for this season.

He's played one less game than most of those guys though. His ice time/game 22:26 is 2nd only to Patrick Kane and a few seconds more than ROR (who had similar time played last year). I think we can agree Kopi plays a far more exhausting game than Kane and far more abrasive than ROR. There's a steeper dropoff after that. I'd also argue all the OT games influence the ice time but he played what, 3 minutes straight in OT last night? I'm more worried about stuff like that than total ice time (though much of it was standing around on the PP so last night wasn't so bad).

Absolutely. Also not a bad point about OT. There's an extra 30 seconds or minute or two of "ES" time right there per game.

If the Kings didn't start 0-3, and maybe won a game in regulation by a couple goals, perhaps Kopitar wouldn't need to be out there so much. But then when he's not out there, like on the tying goal by Spezza, we rip Sutter for not getting his best guys on the ice.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley

This. Lots of fans overreacting. We need Kopi on the ice while Gabs is out. When Gabs returns, Kopis time will go down some, I imagine.

Love the high praise of Dowd, Raccoon. Good morning, dude :yo:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Let's take this show on the road before we do too much back-slappin'. The last four games are encouraging but I'm very interested to see how they do in these two tough road games coming up.

Being competitive this season was going to be based upon youth performing well, the studs being studs and hopefully something out of Brown. That's all happening the last few games for the most part so hopefully they keep it up.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
My belief LA won't make the playoffs isn't based on them being bad.

I just think the division and conference leave little room for error.

It's a long season. Quick being out will compound it. If they can stay in the mix, and get two key parts back and in game shape, they will have a chance.

Can't have any long periods of slump tho.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
My belief LA won't make the playoffs isn't based on them being bad.

I just think the division and conference leave little room for error.

It's a long season. Quick being out will compound it. If they can stay in the mix, and get two key parts back and in game shape, they will have a chance.

Can't have any long periods of slump tho.

Hmm? Doesn't compute, bud :yo: :clap:

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Looks like Purcell is not in Sutter's doghouse. Apparently, per his quotes today, Purcell was "banged up" after training camp and is not 100% recovered yet. Hopefully once he is better, he can add another dynamic in our lineup. It would be great to have him on a line with Dowd and Andreoff. Or move Purcell up to Carter's line and drop Setoguichi to play with Dowd and Andreoff. Then move Brown to the fourth line.

King-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Purcell
Andreoff-Dowd-Setoguichi
Brown-Shore-Lewis

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Looks like Purcell is not in Sutter's doghouse. Apparently, per his quotes today, Purcell was "banged up" after training camp and is not 100% recovered yet. Hopefully once he is better, he can add another dynamic in our lineup. It would be great to have him on a line with Dowd and Andreoff. Or move Purcell up to Carter's line and drop Setoguichi to play with Dowd and Andreoff. Then move Brown to the fourth line.

King-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Purcell
Andreoff-Dowd-Setoguichi
Brown-Shore-Lewis

I can't wait till Gabby comes back and shores up those lines.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think Andreoff is showing he can be a little bit more than the bad 4th liner he shown previously. Playing with garbage like 71 and 13 like has has most of his career can't be easy, but he has shown a bit more these past few games with better players.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Andreoff is definitely better than Clifford and Nolan. He actually reminds me of Versteeg. Has the ability to handle the puck, make creative plays, and get to the front of the net. As I have said before, I can see him being a consistent 10-15 goal guy.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can

King-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Purcell
Andreoff-Dowd-Setoguichi
Brown-Shore-Lewis

why are you moving brown away from Dowd ? We have finally found a way to get brown going and u want him to move? No from this king fan

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008

King-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Carter-Purcell
Andreoff-Dowd-Setoguichi
Brown-Shore-Lewis

I was momentarily horrified, I thought those were our lines per Rosen or something.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Pretty simple, LA can't rely on the rest of the Pacific to suck.

I was just highlighting your contradi... never mind.

Go Kings? :)

Doughty's only three points off the Golden Boy, fellas (yes, it's way, way too early, I know). Both in age 26 season, I think Doughty lands his second Norris this year. Book it.

Quick's injury robbed him of his Vezina. But when he comes back he will still have that chip, just in time for the playoffs. If we are able to land a seed, we are players, baby boi.

With potential late season sparks in the pipeline in Gravel (oh, how I love thee) and Kempe, much like years past.. we are golden. Dean won't do any draft pick trades this year, perhaps he dangles plugs at the deadline, but that won't get us much. It's do or die with this squad, and with Quick, we playa's boiiii

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
why are you moving brown away from Dowd ? We have finally found a way to get brown going and u want him to move? No from this king fan

Because he knows Sutters motives. Seems like every time Brown has shown a glimpses of success playing with someone... boom, he drops him down to the 4th for no reason.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Because he knows Sutters motives. Seems like every time Brown has shown a glimpses of success playing with someone... boom, he drops him down to the 4th for no reason.

if he move anywhere it would be back with kopitar and good bye to king on that line but your right sutter does some questionable things we as fans don't get,.

Esteban Tornado

Mar 28, 2014
Las Vegas
Wow, only saw one of the usual suspects who regularly sh!t on the Kings ( and that person regularly posts hyperbolic and fact free bullsh!t) in this thread.
Must be because Kings are starting to do things right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad