GDT: 10/23/2019 Game 10: Detroit Red Wings @ Ottawa Senators (7:30pm EST)

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Svechnikov had some good moments out there. Perhaps he can still have a good NHL career.

Athanasiou looks really really really bad. I hold out hope that he's shaking off rust after missing time in the offseason... but he's been really bad

Also:
Tyler Bertuzzi scores over 82 points.
he's got the talent so not worried about a jinx

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It's crazy to talk about AA like he's a complete player, or the victim of circumstance at this point imo. Blaming 41 is ridiculous.
"Blaming [career high 13 assists] for his linemate's lack of production is crazy."

Hey just like everyone else I love Glendening. As a shutdown player. Let's stop pretending that translates to him being useful on a production line.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Svechnikov had a great game and so did Mantha. AA was awful yesterday, giving up the puck a lot, especially on the PP.

The Senators had the high glove side on Bernier tapped as his weakness and they exploited it.

Buffalo's next.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
This is the new Dead Wings era many of us feared in after 2012 when it was obvious that the team was declining, and that there wasn't a plan on how to transition.

Dead Wings era. 67 - 83. Missed the playoffs 15 times, qualified twice.

Dead Wings era 2013 - present missed the playoffs 3 times, qualified thrice.

We need to miss the playoffs 12 years in a row to make your statement accurate.
Somehow I don't think this is a new Dead Wings era. More like a rebuild with a GM change.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
"Blaming [career high 13 assists] for his linemate's lack of production is crazy."

Hey just like everyone else I love Glendening. As a shutdown player. Let's stop pretending that translates to him being useful on a production line.

Tunnel vision, head down, ignoring his linemates entirely, skating into turnovers, coasting in the defensive zone. His performance has been staggeringly bad, and a lot of the bad play he displays has nothing to do with his linemates. He's gotten cracks with probably 7-8 different linemates and nothing has sparked him. If you want to say he's still struggling with recovering from a back injury, I will bite and give him some time, but the Glendening complaints are getting old. For someone who is supposed to be an "electric 30 goal man" you'd think he'd be able to outproduce a "4th line shutdown player" or at least make his line look better.

The defense of Athanasiou's poor play here sounds a lot like the entitled version of Athanasiou's complaints early on in his career. He needs more ice time, he needs better line mates, he needs to play a specific position, he needs, he needs, he needs.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Something is up.

Too many guys playing uninterested, frustrated, and/or uneven hockey. Too many guys looking agitated or distracted in post-game interviews. The team feels very disjointed.

I think either Blashill’s lost the room or there are some prominent unhappy campers who are sick of continually being overburdened by compensating for their teammates/linemates. I wonder if the younger crew has found their voice in the lockerroom this year and are taking the veterans who are supposed to be supporting them to task.

Must be contagious in Detroit with the way the Lions moved Diggs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Playing four man defense and he wants us just to stand here while he over handles the puck doesn't help AA's linemates either. I think he threw the puck/possession away almost a handful of times on the PP last night. Larkin, Mo, Hronek, Cholo and Bert are not the bottom rung talent guys where that excuse flies.

There are times AA gets a rough ride on this board. His performance thus far albeit hopefully with rust and injury excuse factoring has been abysmal. You can look for others, but we know he can play better than this with crummy linemates and he hasn't. He has been bad and will be called out on it as a result.

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy and Winger98

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Something is up.

Too many guys playing uninterested, frustrated, and/or uneven hockey. Too many guys looking agitated or distracted in post-game interviews. The team feels very disjointed.

I think either Blashill’s lost the room or there are some prominent unhappy campers who are sick of continually being overburdened by compensating for their teammates/linemates. I wonder if the younger crew has found their voice in the lockerroom this year and are taking the veterans who are supposed to be supporting them to task.

I think it’s just reality hitting pretty hard right now.

They were excited and confident to start the year but the lack of talent is just too much to overcome. I know it’s a shitty excuse but you can definitely tell in the body language that a lot of these guys are really disappointed right now.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Something is up.

I wonder if Larkin was pissed about not getting the captainship.

Reactions: Sentinel

Larkin2AA

Apr 21, 2016
Rochester Hills, MI
One of two things occurs if they lose against Buffalo- which they will.

1. Trade of either AA, Mantha

2. Fires Blashill.

Sources are accurate. Enjoy Friday folks!
We are going to make a trade after the 11th game of the year? We are going to fire a coach when everyone knew this team was bottom 5 in the league?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Dead Wings era. 67 - 83. Missed the playoffs 15 times, qualified twice.

Dead Wings era 2013 - present missed the playoffs 3 times, qualified thrice.

We need to miss the playoffs 12 years in a row to make your statement accurate.
Somehow I don't think this is a new Dead Wings era. More like a rebuild with a GM change.
As someone who was a Wings fan as they were coming out of the Dead Wings era, thank you. And it's also worth noting that was in an era when only 4 or 5 teams DIDN'T make the playoffs.

We are not even close to being there yet.

Reactions: MoritzSeiderAtSix

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Then this would be great evidence that he should never ever wear the C.

I don't know.
Man, he's human.
And look, I'm not some Dylan Larkin slappy. But everyone knows the kid is it. Everyone expected it. He probably expected it.

More importantly, he probably felt like he'd done about all he could do to EARN it.
He led the team in goals, assists and points.
He drastically improved his Faceoffs. He's killing penalties, etc
He plays more minutes at forward than almost anyone in the NHL.

They send him out there to talk after all these losses anyway.

I wouldn't blame him for wondering what else he's got to do.

Reactions: Sentinel

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Big middle finger shoutout to our former boys Ken Holland and Tyler Wright for gifting us with this amazing product we’re left with.
I mean.. if we had a few more players like Larkin, Mantha, Cholowski, Hronek and Bertuzzi we'd be a pretty good team? The prospects who have done the best in GR this year and probably have the most potential to help us this year have also been Holland/Wright products (Rasmussen, Svechnikov and Smith). Filip Larsson is currently our best best for future #1 goalie and yeah.. Wright pick.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I sincerely doubt Larkin is mad he wasn't named captain at 23 years old. When you look at the three captains that the Wings had prior to this season, you have to acknowledge how high the bar is. Couple that with a brand new GM wanting to take it slow (and the fact everyone knows that the C is going to be his anyway) and I don't see that as a real possibility.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I have no expectations. I just want the kids to develop just like you. It will be at least 3-4 years before they are ready to progress past the cellar of the NHL.

I dont know about that. They have one line right now that is legit top line quality in the league. If they get a 1st overall type of pick this year that could all of a sudden make the second PP and second line a threat to score, theyre not 4 years off getting out of the cellar. 4 years off from contending or being a playoff threat is different than being out of the cellar.

I think it can speed up or fortify the rebuild.
Some kids, like Hughes, are going to take more time than others.

But here are the last 8 #1s.
Hughes.
Dahlin
Hischier.
Matthews
McDavid
Ekblad
Mackinnon
Yakupov

Well. None have won a cup.
None have even been beyond round 1, I think. Nope, McDavid got beyond round 1.

Still - four of those guys look like Frnchise guys.
Only one is a bust.
Ekblad just looks overrated.

But man, even one of the lower kids on that list, Hischier, would be a real big piece for Detroit.

It 110% speeds up the rebuild, to say otherwise is ridiculous (not saying that youre saying it doesnt speed it up, just building on your point). Of that list, only Yakupov doesnt drastically speed up the rebuild process. Theres 4 absolute stars of the league on that list and the book is still out on Hughes. Ekblad is a top pairing dman who may have been overrated at draft time but still is a top pairing dman. Having him added to a group on D including Seider, Cholo, Hronek, McIsaac and others all of a sudden has the D in a half decent place. Hischier hasnt been crazy offensively but hes one of the better advanced stat players in the league and tracking to be a number one, shit down type center as well. Having him and Larkin down the middle would be really tough for opposing offensive players to play against night in and night out.

Detroit has drafted great outside of the first overall star that they need. People saying they still need to draft well without the high picks arent looking at the same team I'm watching I guess. The team has a bonafide first line whose average draft position was 31st, the highest pick on it being 15. They have what looks to be a potential top pairing blue liner in Hronek drafted in the second round and a lte first in Cholowski who could be a 2nd pairing guy easily.

The wings have guys in pretty big roles that were drafted later than their play appears. They need to add that bonafide star player to knock everyone down a spot and they all of a sudden look much better. Have Byfield pan out and be a franchise guy? All of a sudden Larkin is getting second pairing match ups and second line forwards. He would eat them alive in 2 or 3 years especially. Draft a Lafreniere? All of a sudden the PP is better, the offense on the team is better because he makes everyone around him better. Draft a guy like Dahlin was at the draft? Only have to really worry about Hronek being able to anchor a second pairing with a guy like Dahlin holding down the fort for almost half the game.

Add that star talent and all of a sudden free agents are coming as well. Draft Lafreniere and good centers are going to want to play on his line and be atracted to Detroit. The only thing Detroit needs right now is top of the draft talent. One or two top 3 pick type of players and the rebuild is very close to, if not finished

Reactions: NickH8

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So was Larkin mad about captain when he had 7 points in 6 games to start the season?

This isn't about the captaincy. It's opponents knowing that the Wings are a one-line team and the player driving that first line the most is Larkin. So they put their energy into shutting him down and harassing him all game. He and the team will need to adapt.

Reactions: saska sault

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
So was Larkin mad about captain when he had 7 points in 6 games to start the season?

This isn't about the captaincy. It's opponents knowing that the Wings are a one-line team and the player driving that first line the most is Larkin. So they put their energy into shutting him down and harassing him all game. He and the team will need to adapt.

Larkin is still giving full effort, as he always does. He seems frustrated but who wouldn't be... A one line team, with injuries, depth, coaching and past management issues. He sees peers of his same age surrounded by play makers, goal scorers and solid defensemen.. Meanwhile he has Abdelkader, Nielsen, and Flip combine for what.. 5 points? And eating up about a good chunk of salary cap for a few years still. This won't be an overnight fix, and may require some pretty nifty salary cap maneuvering by Yzerman and Co. To find ways to get these players off the current roster in any way.

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad