GDT: 10/21/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Chicago

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Is Louis Domingue, not a great find or what?????? He has been a rock solid back-up. Tip of my cap to Louie tonight.
Other than when Vasi has been our backup (which doesn't really count IMO), I can't think of a time since 04 when we had a backup I trusted.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is Louis Domingue, not a great find or what?????? He has been a rock solid back-up. Tip of my cap to Louie tonight.

Great scouting by our guys, to be able to look beyond those numbers he was putting up in Arizona.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Umm, Anders?

Ah you mean the joke who's currently in Switzerland but still can't stop a beachball? Davos got him to solidify their goaltending position but the two kids who shared the net before his arrival are actually a lot better. Lindback sucks at hockey and somebody has to tell him so he can retire and focus on something he's good at. Easily one of the worst goalies to ever play in the NHL. No idea how he even got there. He's big but that's about it. Mindboggling.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Great scouting by our guys, to be able to look beyond those numbers he was putting up in Arizona.

His numbers were actually brilliant everytime Smith was out...but with Smith getting nearly all the starts and only leaving the toughest back to backs for Domingue, Louis was facing a mission impossible. Tippett played Smith until he was injured so it was either all or nearly no starts for Domingue.
This has little to do with scouting I think. Everybody NHL-team knew what Domingue's capable of...they just didn't need a goalie or they weren't sure if Domingue would ever be able to put it together again. Lack of confidence and consistency are Domingue's biggest problems and that's often the case with goaltenders. Praise Cooper and his staff for giving Domingue a fair chance and regular starts.

Reactions: DFC

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Yes, and the scouts had a good source in house. The goalie coach Frantz Jean was Domingue's coach in juniors (Moncton in the Q). He must have figured whatever was ailing him was fixable. He was right.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Good reaction from the team after the OT loss the night before, Cant fault anyones performance last night. Who ever fault to get Domingue for us deserves a massive raise.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Ah you mean the joke who's currently in Switzerland but still can't stop a beachball? Davos got him to solidify their goaltending position but the two kids who shared the net before his arrival are actually a lot better. Lindback sucks at hockey and somebody has to tell him so he can retire and focus on something he's good at. Easily one of the worst goalies to ever play in the NHL. No idea how he even got there. He's big but that's about it. Mindboggling.

He actually managed to prolong his NHL career due to the reality of NHL tanking.

Anyone remember the Sabres trading Enroth and acquiring Lindback leading up to the McDavid draft? LOL

I mean, hell, at the end of 12/13, we sat Bishop for him because it was clear by that point that Bish was ****ing up our draft position.

Anders Lindback: Tank Master

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His numbers were actually brilliant everytime Smith was out...but with Smith getting nearly all the starts and only leaving the toughest back to backs for Domingue, Louis was facing a mission impossible. Tippett played Smith until he was injured so it was either all or nearly no starts for Domingue.
This has little to do with scouting I think. Everybody NHL-team knew what Domingue's capable of...they just didn't need a goalie or they weren't sure if Domingue would ever be able to put it together again. Lack of confidence and consistency are Domingue's biggest problems and that's often the case with goaltenders. Praise Cooper and his staff for giving Domingue a fair chance and regular starts.

I don't doubt he was secretly awesome for Arizona, because he's been overtly awesome for us, but I do doubt it was well known. I mean, we acquired him for frikkin Tye McGinn and Michael Leighton, neither of whom have an NHL future. McGinn appears to be a sort of mediocre AHLer. So I do think our staff--and I think the FJ connection is relevant--deserves a lot of credit for sniffing this diamond out of the rough.

I mean, he's a 26 year-old who suddenly appears to have starter potential. You have to think a number of teams would have jumped at that if they'd seen it a year ago. But yeah, I guess it's a stretch to give our scouting staff TOO much credit, considering Nabokov, Budaj, Lindback... ... Just by the numbers game, SOMETHING has to work out. :p

I like that he has a little bit of Ben Bishop in him. Both in the way he plays and the way he's ultra competitive. I don't have an issue with him breaking his stick in a 5-2 game and taking a penalty. I like that he gets heated after giving up a goal, so long as it doesn't effect his ability to make saves.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He actually managed to prolong his NHL career due to the reality of NHL tanking.

Anyone remember the Sabres trading Enroth and acquiring Lindback leading up to the McDavid draft? LOL

I mean, hell, at the end of 12/13, we sat Bishop for him because it was clear by that point that Bish was ****ing up our draft position.

Anders Lindback: Tank Master
He had a pretty solid run in Buffalo though.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Missed the game, 33 good shots?

The Hawks' announcers made the comment that something like half of them were legit chances. Maybe an exaggeration, but not by much. Cam Ward might have been the best player for either team, in a game where he gave up 5.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Domingue had an amazing game against us the season before we acquired him. I gotta think that factored a lot into our scouting.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
The best thing about Louie is he isn't scrambling to make saves. Does wonders for your defense when they know what they can rely on their goalie to stop and what shots they have to take away, with Budaj it was an inconsistent mess and crossing your fingers that a circus save stops every cross ice pass.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The best thing about Louie is he isn't scrambling to make saves. Does wonders for your defense when they know what they can rely on their goalie to stop and what shots they have to take away, with Budaj it was an inconsistent mess and crossing your fingers that a cross ice pass doesn't connect.

I think, even beyond that, predictability does wonders for a defense. Which is why, at times, we still struggle in front of Vasy. It's hard to play a rebound when you don't know where it's going, or if you're shadowing somebody when it happens behind you. Domingue's positioning settles the play down a lot. Vasy appears to be getting better at this too, Minnesota game aside.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Domingue had an amazing game against us the season before we acquired him. I gotta think that factored a lot into our scouting.

His numbers against the Bolts are indeed pretty solid. Only won 1/3 but stopped 104/110 (94,5%/2,03 GAA) shots.
Louis Domingue was the Coyotes starter for several weeks two seasons in a row. He played over 30 games in both of those season...most of them in a row and with very good numbers. I admit it...I used to watch a lot of Coyotes hockey so I knew what he's capable of but I don't think an NHL-team needed to scout Domingue to know what he's capable of. They all knew but there are only so many spots in this league and even the most talented and gifted goalies are wild cards when they're issues are on the mental side. Just watch Mrazek if you're looking for the perfect example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad