GDT: 10/21/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Chicago

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
And a road win, is a road win. It's 2 points. And thankfully Domingue is our 2nd goaltender because gang, our defense needs some SERIOUS coaching up.

Nah, the refs got two assists tonight. Not by penalties but by deflecting the puck. Our D has actually been pretty solid. Yes, McDonagh got walked tonight, Strålman got walked last night, and Hedman got walked a few times so far. But it happens. Even to the best d-men. The overall structure is pretty solid.

Reactions: Maelmoor

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Nah, the refs got two assists tonight. Not by penalties but by deflecting the puck. Our D has actually been pretty solid. Yes, McDonagh got walked tonight, Strålman got walked last night, and Hedman got walked a few times so far. But it happens. Even to the best d-men. The overall structure is pretty solid.

Too many SOG in the first 2 periods. We need to hold our opponents to less than 10 if we want to win it all. Not enough pinching it off at the red line and way too much dependence on our forwards coming back to support the D-men. Cooper is playing with fire against a team with similar speed/make-up, aka, Toronto, Washington, etc.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Too many SOG in the first 2 periods. We need to hold our opponents to less than 10 if we want to win it all. Not enough pinching it off at the red line and way too much dependence on our forwards coming back to support the D-men. Cooper is playing with fire against a team with similar speed/make-up, aka, Toronto, Washington, etc.

Our defense is fine, best part of the season thus far..... you're watching a different team if you think the forwards are doing more than the guys back there.

Btw: Every team depends on their forwards coming back to help.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

No we don't. Not 82 games straight, and especially not with a 5-1 lead. This game was never in question. Even when the Hawks scored on a fluke play off a linesman's leg, it was never in question. If the Hawks had 10 shots per period, and we have 33 shots per period, we're winning. The numbers are arbitrary.

Reactions: Maelmoor

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Cirelli is our next star in the making. He has the size, speed, and shot which should terrify other teams. I would LOVE to see him on a line with Stammer and Gourde.

I think Cirelli's great, but he's likely going to be one of the better 3Cs in the league. I don't see him as a star. But he's phenomenal as a supporting player.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
91 shots combined in this game which is pretty crazy too. I don't know what the average is but I'd guess somewhere around 60.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

For the first period, I'd pretty much agree with you. 17 is way more SOG against than we'd like, although some of that was because of taking two penalties. But in the second period, the D allowed only 6 SOG. So they definitely tightened things up.

It will certainly be interesting to see how they handle Toronto this season.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I am in Chicago tonight. Their local coverage gave us a lot of credit. Praised how deep we are as a team, specifically that all 4 lines are dangerous (and that our 4th line is better than many 3rd and some 2nd lines) and that our team speed is perhaps the best in the league.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
For the first period, I'd pretty much agree with you. 17 is way more SOG against than we'd like, although some of that was because of taking two penalties. But in the second period, the D allowed only 6 SOG. So they definitely tightened things up.

Two penalties plus they threw a lot of weak shots from their D. Keith had like five shots and they were of the Matt Carle variety.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

There was about a 5 minute stretch at the end of the 1st where we broke down after taking a couple of penalties and getting out of sorts.

Toronto will be interesting, because they don't get the amount of chances you might think. They just finish an exceptionally high amount. But when they don't get those finishes, they look like they did the last two games, which is pretty ordinary. But they have two centers who can legit pot 40, and a winger who could crack 80 points this year, so they'll be a handful for anybody right now.

Oh... But, then again, speaking of defenses that give up WAAAAAAY too many shots/chances: The Toronto Maple Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad