GDT: 10/2/19 Season Opener NBCSN 7:30pm: Sharks @ Golden Knights Part 1: Payback?

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Yurtaykin and Bergmann were pretty invisible for me tonight, which is a lot more than Gambrell and Radil can say, who were both terrible imo.

hahaha, A compliment to the kids :)

This was classic sharks-Knights. Sharks gave up a goal in the first 5 mins of all three periods. Its identical to the PO's last year. The sharks are just never ready to start the game or a period and the knights know it, jump on it, and use it to their advantage.

I would say fire PDB (a bit late for that really), but I am not sure any coach could do much with the sharks lineup tonight.

The only criticism I have is that Bergmann is like Radil 2.0 (bigger, a little physical, came from a tier 2 euro league, takes up space but doesnt hurt too much)

and yurtaykin is Goldobin 2.0 (diminutive rooskie with cute moves but not a well rounded, physical, or solid enough guy to stick in the NHL in any top 9 role).

The sharks need to be giving the future of the franchise the NHL look right now. Specifically, Chekhovich should be in. Chemelevski did not look good to me, but Cheko did and he will be a good NHLer soon. They also should have give the shot to Halbegewachs, who looked solid in preseason, has a pretty good pro season under his belt, and has the speed and skill to cause trouble.

The wrong guys stayed on the team and it showed. PDB has his job cut out for him, as does boughner, because if the sharks are gunna sniff the POs (let alone go deep), they will have to get contributions from the kids while also playing a solid defensive game and give up 2 or less consistently.

All last year, they were horrific defensively. Then all preseason they gave up goals left and right. Now they have one game and gave up 4 (which could have been far worse). They need to look in their own end first before figuring out how to score at the other.

Reactions: Phu

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I thought Yurtaykin had a terrible game. Just really indecisive and sloppy with the puck on his stick. I didn't see Bergmann at all.

Gambrell was an absolute train wreck. He's so far away from NHL level. It was apparent in the preseason and it's plainly obvious now.
Ya I guess the play did die on Yurtaykins stick a few times, but he didnt make any glaring mistakes I remember. Bergmann literally did nothing I remember. Radil was noticeably bad, and Gambrell was impossible to miss bad.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

jarr92

May 7, 2013
Yurtaykin and Bergmann were pretty invisible for me tonight, which is a lot more than Gambrell and Radil can say, who were both terrible imo.

I actually thought Yurtaykin looked pretty good. He made one or two good defensive plays and had a nice pass to create a good scoring chance. He seemed one of the more dangerous forwards tonight, although that isn't saying much..

Bergmann.. yeah, I agree. Hopefully just 1st game jitters.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

This was classic sharks-Knights. Sharks gave up a goal in the first 5 mins of all three periods. Its identical to the PO's last year. The sharks are just never ready to start the game or a period and the knights know it, jump on it, and use it to their advantage.

I would say fire PDB (a bit late for that really), but I am not sure any coach could do much with the sharks lineup tonight.

The only criticism I have is that Bergmann is like Radil 2.0 (bigger, a little physical, came from a tier 2 euro league, takes up space but doesnt hurt too much)

and yurtaykin is Goldobin 2.0 (diminutive rooskie with cute moves but not a well rounded, physical, or solid enough guy to stick in the NHL in any top 9 role).

The sharks need to be giving the future of the franchise the NHL look right now. Specifically, Chekhovich should be in. Chemelevski did not look good to me, but Cheko did and he will be a good NHLer soon. They also should have give the shot to Halbegewachs, who looked solid in preseason, has a pretty good pro season under his belt, and has the speed and skill to cause trouble.

The wrong guys stayed on the team and it showed. PDB has his job cut out for him, as does boughner, because if the sharks are gunna sniff the POs (let alone go deep), they will have to get contributions from the kids while also playing a solid defensive game and give up 2 or less consistently.

All last year, they were horrific defensively. Then all preseason they gave up goals left and right. Now they have one game and gave up 4 (which could have been far worse). They need to look in their own end first before figuring out how to score at the other.
I agree Chekovich should be given a chance. Also Gregor is about a million times better than Gambrell.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I thought Yurtaikin played okay. He seemed like he would be in position to make a play pretty often even if he flubbed it most of the time.

Yurtaykin was fine. Nothing much. Just fine.

The only guy I thought looked awesome was burns (save the 2-0 gaffe on the PP). The sharks had 4 legit NHL forwards: Cooch, Hertl, Meier, and Labanc (maybe sorensen and jumbo). Then they had Gambrell, Radil, Bergmann, Yurtaykin, Goodrow, and Karlsson. Thats literally at least 1/2 your forward roster with pretty much zero chance to score. Add in Prout, Dillon, Ferraro, and Vlasic, and you have pretty much your whole D other than Burns and maybe heed that won't score.

That's just not an NHL roster.

DeepBlueSea408

Jan 13, 2010
SAN JOSE
whats with the ultra aggressive chasing strategy in the defensive zone... literally creating passing lanes for vegas -_-
the offense is still predictable with no movement whats so ever. everybody is just stagnant.. no support on breakouts. the system is flawed and predictable and once again got exploited

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I would add that last year Kane, Burns, Hertl, Meier, Couture, and Sorensen all had career high point totals. To expect that again is as unlikely as it is essential for the sharks to have a chance.

The sharks are gunna be in trouble if they suffer a single significant injury or anyone has a down year. The margin of error is so razor this with this team...

I suppose we gotta see what it looks like in two weeks when Simek, Karlsson, and Kane are all in the lineup.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Please include Gambrell in a top six forward trade. I cant watch him anymore because I was excited after the playoff game and now its just pure suck

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not cool, especially coming from someone who was old enough for the Canadian version if My So-Called Life.

Was Drake in that, too?

Drake has lobbied the Canadian government to make it a crime to ever mention his acting career. There was no such show as Degrassi: The Next Generation.

Reactions: slocal

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

I'm going to be contrarian and totally disagree. I don't think Chekovich is ready. He needs a lot of work. I think for what Yurt and Bergmann are supposed to provide they are doing it. They are very solid and play in a way Chekhovich, Chem, and Halbe aren't able to consistently play at this juncture. And that's being safe and reliable. They didn't create chances but they didn't give chances. I actually thought both played solid games away from the puck. Yurt made some very good defensive moves. Bergmann was a little tentative but all around decent. They ate minutes and didn't hurt the bottom line. They got a passing grade from me, but nothing to write home about.

For me the biggest group to blame for this loss are the big boys. Specifically Couture, Meier, and Labanc. They were losing puck battles and could barely create anything that wasn't helping Vegas.

I'm looking forward to Friday. Hopefully we see Karlsson back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad