GDT: 10/2/19 Season Opener NBCSN 7:30pm: Sharks @ Golden Knights Part 1: Payback?

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
  • Young guys didnt play great, but showed promise. They'll learn quickly they cant stick handle through people and need to make faster decisions. I'd give them a few more games to figure it out before passing judgement
  • Team needs to play more physical. Vegas finished checks and took our guys out of the play a lot. Sorensen and Meier stood out as guys who tried to do the same. Need to see that more from guys like Hertl and Jumbo.
As far as the bolded, I agree that some of it is young players needing to realize this isn't college/junior and they can't walk defenders anymore. But more concerning to me is why they felt like trying it. Same as last year, I saw a lot of guys kinda left in space with no passing support. It seems like our entire breakout plan is for somebody, preferably an otherworldly talented defenseman, to walk it up ice while everybody else waits at the blueline. There were a couple of moments in particular where it looked to me like Bergmann and/or Yurtaykin ended up in the same situation as Donskoi did a lot last year: on an island on the half-wall with nobody to pass to and two defenders on him. Some of that is the overall lack of team speed to spread the ice, but it seems like the system also contributes by prioritizing stretch passes that kind of out-kick the coverage.

Totally disagree on the physical play. On a visceral level, I'd love to see Angry Jumbo level somebody like Marchessault or Stastny, but we don't have anybody big enough *and* fast enough to be able to do that and still be a useful player on defense. Our forwards as a group already lag defensively, and hitting more would only put them further behind.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
How does the Tuch go from playing in the last game of the post season to LITR at the start of this season? Is that cap abuse?

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I missed last nights game but I’m sure things will change for tomorrow night, does anyone think we should still sign Patty, to kinda stabilize things

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I missed last nights game but I’m sure things will change for tomorrow night, does anyone think we should still sign Patty, to kinda stabilize things

Most here tend to think he's too old and his last season productivity was horrible. I tend to think he's serviceable, but he's probably asking too high of a price. Plus the Sharks have very little in cap space right now.

Good news is that Jones might be turning the corner. His .886 SV% betters his start of the last two seasons.

Sharks need Spott-less energy. Instead, their energy was rather dim and Spotty last night.

Is this the first time in Sharks history, they had a 40 year old player on the roster for the start of the season?

I'd sum up last night's game in terms of who was over paid. Top of my list are:

EK9 - took stupid pay
EK65 - took vacation pay I guess
Vlasic
Dillon
Prout

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Post season or preseason?

Cannot say anything about preseason as I didn't watch or follow Knight's preseason games. I don't like them enough to do so.

However, checking the Cnights forum, it seems to be UBL mystery that has them confused. Tuch on LTIR is saving them from cap purgatory right now. CF lists their cap reserve at $0.

I guess Tuch is getting one heck of a root canal procedure. lol.

Abusing the cap via LTIR seems to be somewhat popular this season. Leading that charge is Toronto. I wonder if LTIR salaries count against the escrow?

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I can't help but feel like the real season will start either Saturday or next week. The Sharks and Knights will have played each other 9 times in a row going back to the postseason last year, and I knew the Sharks weren't going to win last night. Hearing the Karlsson news basically confirmed it. With that said, there were spurts where the team did play well, and I would even credit Jones with making some incredible saves. Then there were also big stretches where it felt like the Ice was tilted in the Knight's favor. Then for some reason I was pretty tired and slept through most of the 3rd period but it seemed like the same story as the second.

I'm looking forward to when this team doesn't play the Knights. Maybe it might be a return to some ounce of normalcy. I do think the Rivalry is good for the league, but it's damn exhausting.

Do we know more about Karlsson's situation? I read something about a family issue, but I hope everything is ok.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
How does the Tuch go from playing in the last game of the post season to LITR at the start of this season? Is that cap abuse?

He sustained an "upper body injury" by going headfirst into the boards during that last preseason game. We think it's concussion protocol, but only the team and staff know what the injury is and to what degree the LTIR might be strategic.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
I got my 15 month old to say "hockey" during the game last night. Now I need to work on "fire DW"

You mean the guy that brought Joe Thornton, Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson to our team? DW has flaws, but he has brought me a lot of hours of enjoyment watching these three guys.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Please include Gambrell in a top six forward trade. I cant watch him anymore because I was excited after the playoff game and now its just pure suck

Gambrell was not even good in that playoff game sure he had our lone goal which was weak probably shouldn’t of gone in anyways. With the fire power we were missing upfront and are lackluster effort he showed up more than Some others but not saying much because pretty much nobody showed up

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Most here tend to think he's too old and his last season productivity was horrible. I tend to think he's serviceable, but he's probably asking too high of a price. Plus the Sharks have very little in cap space right now.

Good news is that Jones might be turning the corner. His .886 SV% betters his start of the last two seasons.

Sharks need Spott-less energy. Instead, their energy was rather dim and Spotty last night.

Is this the first time in Sharks history, they had a 40 year old player on the roster for the start of the season?

I'd sum up last night's game in terms of who was over paid. Top of my list are:

EK9 - took stupid pay
EK65 - took vacation pay I guess
Vlasic
Dillon
Prout
I still think Patty is I wish we’d just sign his ass already and give some rookies some time to develop

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
Well that was......

Screen-Shot-2014-11-12-at-9.07.19-AM.png

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You mean the guy that brought Joe Thornton, Brent Burns and Erik Karlsson to our team? DW has flaws, but he has brought me a lot of hours of enjoyment watching these three guys.
I think DW's decision of bringing PDB back this year could be his undoing. If this team just stumbles into the playoffs and has a 1st round exit, I think both DW and PDB could be in big trouble.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
If one of Burns/Karlsson and a top 6 forward goes down for any length of time this year, we are cooked. I knew the depth was thin but this was a bad wake up call

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad