GDT: 10/2/19 Season Opener NBCSN 7:30pm: Sharks @ Golden Knights Part 1: Payback?

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I agree. Once Karlsson and simek return we will be great on defense. I would even go so far as to say use Dillon as part of trade to secure winger help.
We literally just saw how terrible this team is without Simek and Karlsson. Why is everyone so quick to dump Dillon? If one of Burns/Karlsson goes down for 20+ games we'd be screwed. Who knows how effective Simek will be after his knee surgery or even in general. He could be 100% healthy and last season could have just been a 1 off. Joakim Ryan looked like a sure thing to replace Martin after 1 season and now he's not even on the team

Reactions: Phu

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Sharks blow Vegas away when it comes to the blueline though. Atleast when EK and Simek are there. Sharks are 30th in the NHL for salary among forwards and 1st for defense. Vegas is 2nd among forwards and 26th among Dmen.

In my rambling I forgot to mention the gap between the defenses is just as large, and as we have four first liners (albeit with no franchise forward) and Labanc, Jumbo, and Sorensen as a quality third line, our gaps are probably easier to fill. We need one kid to step, one top 6 acquisition, and a quality fourth line center.

That being said, not sure we have the assets to get what we need. Thank god we do a good job of pillaging Europe. We could really use another Donskoi.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Getting rid of Braun was a necessity not just for the cap space. Braun had a poor year last year, he can't move the puck, he gets crushed with hits all the time, he and Vlasic are were a bad pair, he's simply not good anymore. He wouldn't have helped tonight, and all he would do is provide Deboer with another veteran he could throw out for too many minutes and drive us all nuts with his ineffectiveness.

I don’t really agree with most of this. He had a poor start to the season last year, and his offense was terrible all season long, but his defense really came on strong in the later half of the regular season and the playoffs. He was probably our best defensive skater last season, which doesn’t say that much but still says a lot. And regardless of how you feel about him, he’s clearly a massive upgrade on Dalton Prout, and probably an upgrade on this new terrible version of Tim Heed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We literally just saw how terrible this team is without Simek and Karlsson. Why is everyone so quick to dump Dillon? If one of Burns/Karlsson goes down for 20+ games we'd be screwed. Who knows how effective Simek will be after his knee surgery or even in general. He could be 100% healthy and last season could have just been a 1 off. Joakim Ryan looked like a sure thing to replace Martin after 1 season and now he's not even on the team

Well, what you quoted was with the understanding that Karlsson and Simek would return and be what they've shown thus far. If you have that, Dillon is expendable and that cap space can be allocated to improving the winger depth that is needed at this time. If Dillon was actually someone that could be counted upon to play consistent quality second pairing defense, I'd be for keeping him. But he's not. He's only a capable 2nd pairing guy if he's across a superstar. Even then, when push comes to shove, Dillon sees the pine. He's expendable depth because in that scenario, Simek is healthy and playing consistently again and Ferraro can be a suitable replacement for Dillon.

But I totally agree with keeping Dillon until it is shown that Simek is healthy and back at the level of play needed. Ferraro isn't that great right now but neither is Dillon. The forward depth at that point would be more important than keeping Dillon when Ferraro is capable with room to grow.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Personally, I don’t think we can re-sign him and Simek, unless we convince Simek to take a demelo-esque deal. As a guy who’s made a little over a million in his nhl career and has had a serious injury a 2 year 1.25M deal might sound pretty good.

I pray Melker and Dell are gone next year, replaced by players at a third the price. Jumbo/replacement will cost a million less, and the cap goes, leaving enough room for two of Labanc, Dillon, and a top 6 addition.

With Ferraro, Merkely, and Simek, I think he’s fair more replaceable that Labanc/unnamed top 6 acquisition.

It’s disappointing to watch this team get gutted. Braun, Dillon, Pavs, Donskoi all likely out in a two year period. Lot of heart and playing ability, though I do think all are/will be the right call. Last year’s team was stacked, but injuries sunk us. Coaching and goaltending didn’t help, but healthy the team did an excellent job of overcoming those obstacles.

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Personally, I don’t think we can re-sign him and Simek, unless we convince Simek to take a demelo-esque deal. As a guy who’s made a little over a million in his nhl career and has had a serious injury a 2 year 1.25M deal might sound pretty good.

I pray Melker and Dell are gone next year, replaced by players at a third the price. Jumbo/replacement will cost a million less, and the cap goes, leaving enough room for two of Labanc, Dillon, and a top 6 addition.

With Ferraro, Merkely, and Simek, I think he’s fair more replaceable that Labanc/unnamed top 6 acquisition.

It’s disappointing to watch this team get gutted. Braun, Dillon, Pavs, Donskoi all likely out in a two year period. Lot of heart and playing ability, though I do think all are/will be the right call. Last year’s team was stacked, but injuries sunk us. Coaching and goaltending didn’t help, but healthy the team did an excellent job of overcoming those obstacles.
Considering Simek missed majority of last year and will miss early part of this season, it may actually not be too hard to convince him to stay with the Sharks through 2020-21. If he is paired with Burns through a full season, it will only help his next contract.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

If we lose burns or Karlsson for any significant length of time then dillon isn't going to matter. Burns and Karlsson are our team. Our offense is driven by them. We have some good forwards but not they are not franchise level with the possible exception of Meier if keeps getting better.

As for not trading dillon...he is gone after this year and is expendable if some is legit and Ferraro continues to develop. Even assuming we can keep dillon the cap space provided by losing him is more valuable then what he brings to the table. If trading Dillon can improve our biggest weakness then we need to jump on it.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
There is something really wrong with the systems. The amount of time VGK players were able to get in behind the defence is staggering. I don't know why the defence gets drawn up so high. Hopefully, Boughner can get it out of their games.

Reactions: Phu and LA Shark

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California

Karlsson had a baby. Well his wife did, a daughter.

adf4014f420a60a0e52e559c1ce0364a.gif

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Realistically this was what we should have expected with the guys missing and the number of rookies thrust in prominent roles. It's only one game though so the panic is way over blow. The only way 4 rookies are going to learn to play in the NHL is to play in the NHL. I thought all 4 had their moments of good and moments where they're learned what you can't do in the best league in the world. They had to be nervous a little and they will only get better. I thought even Gamby had a couple moments where he showed promise. I don't know if Ferraro can bring it every night the way he does but man he has gotten better every game. Dillon should be shopped the minute Simek is back to 100%. If they need a call up I though Disimone looked the steadiest young d-man in camp. His last (?) preseason game I thought he looked almost flawless. Even mores than Ferraro. Ferraro looks impressive sometimes because of his ability to recover and out skate people but he needed to minimize the times he needed to recover from his mistakes in preseason and I thought he did that for the most part in game 1. Dude looks legit. He could be a Vlassic replacement as far as the shutdown D maybe by the end of the season or next season if his progression continues on this arc. Bergmann and Yourtalkin should be fine in 5 or 10 games.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
As far as the bolded, I agree that some of it is young players needing to realize this isn't college/junior and they can't walk defenders anymore. But more concerning to me is why they felt like trying it. Same as last year, I saw a lot of guys kinda left in space with no passing support. It seems like our entire breakout plan is for somebody, preferably an otherworldly talented defenseman, to walk it up ice while everybody else waits at the blueline. There were a couple of moments in particular where it looked to me like Bergmann and/or Yurtaykin ended up in the same situation as Donskoi did a lot last year: on an island on the half-wall with nobody to pass to and two defenders on him. Some of that is the overall lack of team speed to spread the ice, but it seems like the system also contributes by prioritizing stretch passes that kind of out-kick the coverage.

Totally disagree on the physical play. On a visceral level, I'd love to see Angry Jumbo level somebody like Marchessault or Stastny, but we don't have anybody big enough *and* fast enough to be able to do that and still be a useful player on defense. Our forwards as a group already lag defensively, and hitting more would only put them further behind.

Give the young guys some slack, that's my philosophy. Learning by doing is a great way to beat bad habits. I can imagine in a game where the team had so few scoring chances, young guys are thinking "I need to do something" and try to pull off something from their bag of tricks. W/r/t the breakout, totally agree. it's a reason why Vegas plays so well against us. Their system rewards opportunistic risks off turnovers and boy did we surrender many bad ones.

As for hitting, i should have been more clear. I meant on the forecheck or during Vegas' breakout. Even a little shit like Marchessault was throwing bodies after our D would make a breakout pass.

Reactions: NWSharkie

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Honestly, I was pretty happy with how this game went, all things considered.

The depth on d was exposed, but that isn't really an issue once Burns and Karlsson are each playing 23+ minutes a night.

4-1 was what I was expecting before Karlsson was announced to miss the game, but if the shot Sorensen deflected was 3 inches lower, we have a competitive 3 period game without a top 5 player in the league in the lineup, and a forward that was keeping the top 6 together.

Watching the game I really felt like Karlsson would at least have made it roughly even, overall, which is great considering it was their home opener/revenge game, which you could have lived with giving up that one anyways if it had been full strength.

Yes, Vegas was clearly the better team, but all things considered, I don't think this was a bad result, and the team didn't full collapse, which was my fear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad