GDT: 10/18/22 - 7:00PM EDT - Philadelphia vs Tampa Bay

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Can't even beat the Flyers after being up by two. The defense is tragic. There's no depth up front when you have useless guys like Hagel and Killorn in your top six. It's not like Cirelli and Bogo are going to help. Cirelli doesn't have enough offense and Bogosian is barely an upgrade on our current guys.

Two guys have done their job in these four games, Stammer and Vasy. The rest have been dog shit.

Reactions: ultra63

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Way too early to be negative in my mind! We played well enough to win the game, unfortunately it slipped away.

Definitely things to work and improve upon but still early days.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it was @DFC who said it last season. Stammer's in the Yzerman part of his career.
Wasn't me. I'm always the guy who compares Point to Yzerman-over-30, in terms of style.

Stammer's kind of following an Ovy pattern. People thought Ovy was declining in his late twenties, kind of like Stammer, and then Ovy was like, "nah."

There have been some guys who legitimately got better with age (to a point, obviously). When you look at his complete game, it feels like Stamkos is one of them. I mean, last year was his first time he figured out how to be an elite player in the playoffs. There's a chance we're seeing his prime right now.

Reactions: Hoek

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
On a positive note, even if a guy like cernak coughs up the game winning goal people will still just blame sergachev.
If Sergachev pulled the pin to a grenade and passed it to Cernak last second, you'd blame Cernak and see Sergachev as an angel of light. Dude literally can't do any wrong in your eyes. That move into Cernak was f***ing idiotic, if you can't see how bad of a situation HE created by hitting the first forechecker 10 seconds prior then I don't know man.. at least try to be fair in assessing a player. You and Sergachev are like today's Callahan and that one guy that used to be on here.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
If Sergachev pulled the pin to a grenade and passed it to Cernak last second, you'd blame Cernak and see Sergachev as an angel of light. Dude literally can't do any wrong in your eyes. That move into Cernak was f***ing idiotic, if you can't see how bad of a situation HE created by hitting the first forechecker 10 seconds prior then I don't know man.. at least try to be fair in assessing a player. You and Sergachev are like today's Callahan and that one guy that used to be on here.
And you just have a biased interpretations of the event based on preconceptions, it's no different.

Cernak had control of the puck and lost it, that's pretty much it. And that's what everyone outside of the HF hivemind is saying too.

Boltprospects.com
culminating in Cernak’s ridiculous turnover on the game winning goal.

Rawcharge
...when Cernak tried to pass it up the middle of the ice, it was picked off and Noah Cates spun a shot past Vasilevskiy to give the Flyers the lead.

NHL.com
Cates retrieved the puck after a turnover by Lightning defenseman Erik Cernak and scored from the high slot to make it 3-2.

serge makes plenty of mistakes himself, he doesn't need anyone else to add to it with confirmation bias. If you need to add layers to hate serge, I guess that's your MO

Last edited:

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
And you just have a biased interpretations of the event based on preconceptions, it's no different.

Cernak had control of the puck and lost it, that's pretty much it. And that's what everyone outside of the HF hivemind is saying too.

Boltprospects.com

Rawcharge

NHL.com

serge makes plenty of mistakes himself, he doesn't need anyone else to add to it with confirmation bias. If you need to add layers to hate serge, I guess that's your MO

Cernak was as slow as me when I'm trying to wake up and get up from bed.
:( :(

• Haha
Reactions: These Are The Days

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
So looking at it again, Serg doesn't do a spin, let alone an unnecessary one. He tries to step aside a forechecker, then the puck ends up on Cernak's stick where he had a little more time and space but he inexplicably tries to move it up the middle to Hagel.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I did not expect to laugh as hard as I did there

Reactions: Stammertime91

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Cernak did indeed turn the puck over on his own - but that's end of that sequence.

The first part of the sequence is Sergachev trying to skate the puck up the slot and quickly having it taken away from him by a checker. Cernak then got the puck and committed his turnover. So they both failed miserably on that play.

Sergechev committing turnovers in our end is very familiar, With Cernak, it's much more rare. In fact he's usually the one preventing scoring chances.

With his huge new contract, Serge is going to get a lot of heat all year if he doesn't raise his game. Through the first 4 games, he's looked about the same as last year, though most of the team hasn't looked much better either.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty

Boltprospects.com

Rawcharge

NHL.com

His slow ass reaction put it on Cernaks tape. Just prior in that same shift, he zinged one off the first forechecker. It's the same stupid mistakes he's been making his entire career. Just relaxed and too fancy. Why didn't he just clear it there? Instead, he puts Cernak in a bad position. Cernak messed up too. No denying it, but Sergachev is undoubtedly with Kirwan reviewing that.

Is that 8.5M caliber? That kind of decision making? We chose him as our future #1/2 with that contract and he's going to get the same treatment Hedman did around here til Hedman got it together.

So looking at it again, Serg doesn't do a spin, let alone an unnecessary one. He tries to step aside a forechecker, then the puck ends up on Cernak's stick where he had a little more time and space but he inexplicably tries to move it up the middle to Hagel.
Twirlychev hit the first man in the same shift. That entire sequence should've never happened. One shift, he springs a breakaway, the next three he's pelting the first forechecker in the shins while giving him snake eyes. It's unreal.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
kinda harsh how much criticism Cernak is getting considering the awkward spot that he happened upon the puck. Yeah he did cough it up on the stick check but it’s not like he had a lot of time or room to maneuver for a safer clear. I’m not prepared to eviscerate Sergachev either for mismanaging the puck after a shot block, neither player made the right play

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As bad as it has looked compared to what we're used to its still what the first game at home? Maybe we give them some time to settle in. Maybe we don't expect a 4th cup final appearance as well but we can pump the breaks too on writing off the season. I feel like many did that last year too before we ran it back to the final again all banged up.

Reactions: Maelmoor

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
I do want to be clear that I don’t think serge is infallible, or that cernak is worse objectively. I just think serge got a bad rap on that play, and I called it out.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
defense i get sucking but idk why our offense is so bad. we looked better last year with both kuch and point injured. maybe palat was the mvp all along

Reactions: Hoek

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Btw, Pally is -5 in 3 games this year. Was NEVER - with the Bolts.

Hopefully he likes the $$ (but I do miss a playmaker).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Fire Cooper!

I’ll go different route and say that if it wasn’t for Kuch being so soft on his D-zone coverage, the following 10 seconds would probably never had happened.
When you continue to subtracting depth you only allow the opposing team to focus on the top threats Kuch, Point and Stamkos. Remember just two years ago Cooper could roll 4 lines and all were a threat to score. Now we have one scoring line and if Coop breaks them up to try and make a two line threat it does not work. There will be no cap relief for some time to bolster secondary scoring. And even with the best goalie in the world it will be tough to not be outscored. Whats going to end up happening is burning Vasi's best years hes 28 and the next four years should be his best. JBB is the cat I blame, Beating on individual players at this point is just word salad. Due to the contracts JBB has approved there is just one that could be traded to relieve meaningful cap to shop for other players.

Reactions: ThunderRoad

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
When you continue to subtracting depth you only allow the opposing team to focus on the top threats Kuch, Point and Stamkos. Remember just two years ago Cooper could roll 4 lines and all were a threat to score. Now we have one scoring line and if Coop breaks them up to try and make a two line threat it does not work. There will be no cap relief for some time to bolster secondary scoring. And even with the best goalie in the world it will be tough to not be outscored. Whats going to end up happening is burning Vasi's best years hes 28 and the next four years should be his best. JBB is the cat I blame, Beating on individual players at this point is just word salad. Due to the contracts JBB has approved there is just one that could be traded to relieve meaningful cap to shop for other players.
And this one is...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad