Pre-Game Talk: 10/17 8 PM ET - Game #3 - BRUINS at Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans
In the Toronto game, both teams shut down the other team's main offensive threat (Matthews, Marchand), and it was up to the rest of the roster to score. Toronto's roster came through, Boston's didn't. So my top request for tonight is for scoring from any of the non-Marchand lines. Maybe a tally or two from the defense as well? Pretty please?

The Bruins also need better offensive zone entries and a better forecheck. I'd like a return of the cycling buzzsaw we saw during the latter half of the Columbus game.

I don't like Claude's second line, it has zero grit. It's not a line that's going to win many board battles.

I hope we get more from the surgery boys. Krejci and Krug's on-the-job rehabbing has not been encouraging so far. They look a step behind, both physically and mentally.

The PK has been looking pretty good, but the PP needs to step it up.

Finally, I'm hoping for a solid goaltending effort tonight. No softies, please.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
Hope we see something like this (assuming PB is out):

Marchand - Backes - Pastrnak
Beleskey - Krejci - Czarnik
Heinen - Spooner - Hayes
Moore - Nash - Acciari

The current Spooner - Krejci - Heinen line is far too soft for a game with Winnipeg. Honestly wouldn't mind Heinen sitting this one out, moving Moore up to line 3 and inserting someone like Debrusk.

Last edited:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
So you would prefer that he is battling in the d-zone around his own net as a center?

Yes? As he was for much of last year. I see the point you're trying to make but IMO he fairs better working around the net supporting his teammates then being the guy stationed on the boards looking to break it out. Additionally, his speed allows him to adjust at center to help with the breakouts.

In comparison, Czarnik is much better on the boards, wins more battles then Spoons. Knows how to use his body to make sure the puck gets to where it needs to.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
My problem with the second line is that all the players are redundant, skilled heady passers. No physical guy, no pure shooter. 2 of them on a line would probably work but they need a backes/beleskey in there somewhere.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I wonder if tweaking those middle lines would help...

Heinen - Spooner - Hayes

Spooner - Krejci - Hayes
Beleskey - Czarnik - Heinen

I think I like the first one more, because it takes Czarnik out of the middle.

Just realized I echoed you by posting pretty much the same thing... whoops. Anyways, I agree! I like the first set of lines a lot.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Heinen - Spooner - Hayes
Moore - Nash - Acciari

The current Spooner - Krejci - Heinen line is far too soft for a game with Winnipeg. Honestly wouldn't mind Heinen sitting this one out, moving Moore up to line 3 and inserting someone like Debrusk.

Moore is a 4th line player IMO, and the B's are not going to bring up DeBrusk for the last game of a road trip in Winnepeg.

Heinen and Spooner on the same line is not a good idea. Heinen is not soft, but he's a pass first guy like Spooner (and DK), so you have 3 guys on a line that feel most comfortable dishing the puck. Not a recipe for success.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014

Heinen - Spooner - Hayes
Moore - Nash - Acciari

I like these suggested lines for tonight. We clearly have to mix up the middle 6. Maybe a 3rd line role for spoons will help him get going by way of facing weaker competition.

Also, I like sticking Krejci with Bels for now since, as many others have pointed out, krejci is the most effective when he has a grinding, physical presence on his line to create open space for him (I.e. Looch, Horton, Iginla).

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
I like these suggested lines for tonight. We clearly have to mix up the middle 6. Maybe a 3rd line role for spoons will help him get going by way of facing weaker competition.

Also, I like sticking Krejci with Bels for now since, as many others have pointed out, krejci is the most effective when he has a grinding, physical presence on his line to create open space for him (I.e. Looch, Horton, Iginla).

Maybe switch Heinen and Czarnik.

Czarnik and Spoons could click given their predilection for a speed game. Could create lots of 2 on 1s.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Maybe switch Heinen and Czarnik.

Czarnik and Spoons could click given their predilection for a speed game. Could create lots of 2 on 1s.

So I'd try:

Marchand-Backes-pasta
Beleskey-DK-Heinen
Hayes-Spoons-z
Dom-Nash-Acciari

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I hope Bergy is ready soon...but don't want him rushed.

I fear this will be a tough one tonight. When is Quaider returning ?

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :handclap::handclap:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I hope Bergy is ready soon...but don't want him rushed.

I fear this will be a tough one tonight. When is Quaider returning ?

HERE WE GO BRUINS...HERE WE GO :handclap::handclap:

He is listed as day to day but also on IR :dunno:

INJURIES
- Patrice Bergeron – Lower body, day-to-day
- Adam McQuaid – Upper body, day-to-day (IR)
- Kevan Miller – 10/11 hand surgery; Approx. 6 wks from time of surgery (IR)

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
*insert obligatory "I love (injured player) but hope they don't rush him".

Honestly did not know they had a game tonight. Will actually be able to watch this one! As predicted (and as was the case going into last year), the team is capable offensively, but has so much to prove defensively.

Not that it would be ultra entertaining, but a 2-1 win or two would really make me feel good about the team. 7 goals through 2 games. I really want to see more from the defense. There is not a single member of the defense I can say I've been overly impressed with (though I only watched the Columbus game in full).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
But Carlo wasn't picked instead of Connor. The Bruins went with Debrusk over Connor.

And Senyshyn...

What's your point?

Mine was that so far (granted, in a whopping two games), Connor has not shown that sort of "breakout" ability, with 1 assist. While I expect he will be quite good at some point, I don't think Connor has a great statistical year this season.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
And Senyshyn...

What's your point?

Mine was that so far (granted, in a whopping two games), Connor has not shown that sort of "breakout" ability, with 1 assist. While I expect he will be quite good at some point, I don't think Connor has a great statistical year this season.

My point is that Connor vs. Carlo is a false comparison because the Bruins passed on Connor in favor of Debrusk/Senyshyn.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My point is that Connor vs. Carlo is a false comparison because the Bruins passed on Connor in favor of Debrusk/Senyshyn.

Connor is 19 and was drafted in 2015.

Carlo is 19 and was drafted in 2015.

They both have one assist in two NHL games.

The post that I quoted suggested that Connor would have his first hat trick tonight. My response indicated that Carlo (a D) has the same production as Connor (a F). Should I expect Carlo to have a hat trick tonight because WPG passed on him twice?

The whole Connor/Barzal vs DeBrusk/Senyshyn thing has been beaten to death (and then some) IMO. It's done, and the Dir of Scouting who oversaw that draft (which I think was a good one) is not even with the B's anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad