GDT: 10/15/2019 Game 6: Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks (10pm EST)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Thanks for the sarcasm, it's almost as helpful as the 5-game sample size has been in determining that a 30-year-old has suddenly made a miraculous transformation.

And he's still our worst forward in assists per minute.

His value isn’t tied to assists. His primary role is covering defensive responsibilities, penalty kill, etc. which he is actually helping Athanasiou with. You trying to degrade Glendening’s value based on his assists rate is like assessing Athanasiou on his ability to shut down another team’s best player.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Fil has 1 SOG in 5 games. Glendening has 9.

LGD has 14 hits on the year. Fil has 0.

Meanwhile, if AA was as positionally sound as Fil, he'd have a lot more of those neutral zone touches you're blaming on everyone else that has been healthier and played better than AA so far.

Who cares about hits?
What the hell does hits have to do with anything.

We need goals from Lines 2-3.

And we're not changing them.

Maybe that's not an issue to you, but it's an issue to me.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The 13-assist guy is also the guy who not only has been the more dangerous player this year, but is also the crutch that supports AA's various shortcomings when the puck isn't on his stick rushing up the ice. Hirose I have no problem with questioning, and I agree he should probably be on the bus to GR.

Listen, we all want to see AA at his best because it's exciting as hell and legitimately helps his team, but maybe he should play like the best player on his current line and not be outplayed by a 13-assist grinder on a nightly basis before we start the discussion of bending over backwards to put better linemates around him.

My god.
you guys love to make excuses for no-talent grinders while running down a legit 30-goal man.
Unbelievable.
I've got no problem with Glendening.
But you can't keep sending this line, which makes no sense, over the boards to get killed, night-in, night-out.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
My god.
you guys love to make excuses for no-talent grinders while running down a legit 30-goal man.
Unbelievable.
I've got no problem with Glendening.
But you can't keep sending this line, which makes no sense, over the boards to get killed, night-in, night-out.

Im not making excuses for Glendening, I’m commending him for being damn good at what he does.

Speaking of the 30 goal man, when do you think he will generate something that looks like a dangerous scoring opportunity?

Honestly I like Athanasiou, but I like poking holes in your logic and watching meltdowns as large as Chernobyl even more.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Unless you are going to convince Yzerman to change the organizational decision to keep the young talent in GR this year, there is no scenario where more talent is available to play with Athanasiou. Svechnikov is being sent down to play top minutes, so who is a substantial upgrade?

Are you going to flip Hirose with Erne or Filppula? Are you going to swap Glendening with Nielsen or De La Rose or Ehn? Putting **** colored lipstick on a pig.

Well come on.
Svechnikov was just up here for two games.
He's a first round pick. Same age as Hirose.
He scored the same amount of points as Hirose in the exhibition season - in about half the minutes.
He has actual NHL size.
This wasn't hard.

Flip has passing ability and defense and decent skating. Svech has size to work the walls and skill and size to work netfront. And AA has the transport engine.

Reactions: Gniwder

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Well come on.
Svechnikov was just up here for two games.
He's a first round pick. Same age as Hirose.
He scored the same amount of points as Hirose in the exhibition season - in about half the minutes.
He has actual NHL size.
This wasn't hard.

Flip has passing ability and defense and decent skating. Svech has size to work the walls and skill and size to work netfront. And AA has the transport engine.

You don’t have to sell me on Svechnikov; we are on the same side of that argument. There’s enough mediocrity on display the past few games to warrant an audition for Evgeny. I’m pretty upset to see him sent down without a game to make his case.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The funny thing about this argument is that LGD has been the better player so far this (very young) season. Maybe it's AA that's holding him back?

Also, late game means I won't miss the first period. One of these days, I need to drive over to Vancouver and watch a game... or maybe I'll wait for the Seattle team.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
His value isn’t tied to assists. His primary role is covering defensive responsibilities, penalty kill, etc. which he is actually helping Athanasiou with. You trying to degrade Glendening’s value based on his assists rate is like assessing Athanasiou on his ability to shut down another team’s best player.
Lol thanks I'm aware of Glendening and his strengths and weaknesses. Why don't you ask some gms around the league if they'd like him to center their teams' top goalscorers? "He grinds real good and has lots of hits, you'll love him!"

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Lol thanks I'm aware of Glendening and his strengths and weaknesses. Why don't you ask some gms around the league if they'd like him to center their teams' top goalscorers? "He grinds real good and has lots of hits, you'll love him!"

Why don’t you ask the rest of the league which forward they want outside of Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Athanasiou? I’d put money on it a majority pick Glendening.

Again, nobody is saying this is a perfect situation, and you suggesting that anyone feels that way is disingenuous.

Reactions: decaguard

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Why don’t you ask the rest of the league which forward they want outside of Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Athanasiou? I’d put money on it a majority pick Glendening.

Again, nobody is saying this is a perfect situation, and you suggesting that anyone feels that way is disingenuous.
To me that says more about the quality of the Red Wings forward depth than anything else.

I think Glendening is a great part of the roster but I also think you are overrating him.

Reactions: Winger98

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To me that says more about the quality of the Red Wings forward depth than anything else.

I think Glendening is a great part of the roster but I also think you are overrating him.

Quite honestly I’m not. The point I’ve been illustrating the entire time is we don’t have any talent. You realized it immediately, there’s nothing else to discuss.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's such a bull**** myth.

Last year.
Primary assists/60
Larkin .76
Nyquist .67
Athanasiou .58
Mantha .49
Bertuzzi .46
Hirose .31
Nielsen .27

I think those numbers can reflect offense generated as much as how well a guy uses his linemates. but I also read "uses his linemates" as "makes his linemates better." AA took big steps last season in that direction, but I don't think he's shown that same progression this year. Which is understandable considering his dealing with an injury to start the season.

The middle6 of the forwards has been a mess so far, but Athanasiou hasn't been making the case that it's his linemates and not him. Yet.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think there's enough talent/smarts etc. between original Frans & Frans 2.0 + Erne to hold their own & chip in some offensively vs. 50%+ of the leagues 3rd lines. They should do well vs. most 4th lines. The Isles 4th is an exception.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
If these games could just start an hour earlier, I would gladly suffer through the whole game. But with the late start, I’ll be lucky to make it through the first intermission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad