GDT: 10/15/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Dallas VS Tampa Bay

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Tonight was like a greatest hits collection of what's so good and so bad about Stamkos rolled into one game. 2 big goals, countless brain dead moments. One brain dead moment actually led to the Namestnikov goal.

I'll take it as long as he is scoring. Drouin is sure a beauty! :handclap:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I don't expect Stamkos to be our best player, paired with Drouin I expect him to score goals and bury the puck. He's a goal scorer, I want him to score goals, big goals when we need them. On a team with Drouin and Hedman its hard to be the best player. Thats JUST me and my opinion so don't go getting your pitchforks and torches folks.

That said Stamkos wants "best player" money, he might have some thinking to do. If he's scoring 50-60 goals again then a raise might be in order, but still not liking the idea of $12

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Not skating and transitioning but a defenseman who can dictate play in the offensive zone, it's probably the biggest weakness from our defensive group, they make terrible decisions from the point.

Transition wise I think we have an elite group with the top-4, but inside the offensive zone none of them are great puck movers or passers, it shows on the PP.

Well - we actually have one.

Nesterov. That kid is good at the offensive blueline. In a lot of ways he's our best option for a purely offensive player back there. Great at keeping it in, getting it deep, and getting pucks through.

Koekkoek seems more in the Hedman-mold, so I don't expect great puck moving abilities there.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Well - we actually have one.

Nesterov. That kid is good at the offensive blueline. In a lot of ways he's our best option for a purely offensive player back there. Great at keeping it in, getting it deep, and getting pucks through.

Koekkoek seems more in the Hedman-mold, so I don't expect great puck moving abilities there.

We just need DeAngelo. Like, we need him yesterday.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't expect Stamkos to be our best player, paired with Drouin I expect him to score goals and bury the puck. He's a goal scorer, I want him to score goals, big goals when we need them. On a team with Drouin and Hedman its hard to be the best player. Thats JUST me and my opinion so don't go getting your pitchforks and torches folks.

That said Stamkos wants "best player" money, he might have some thinking to do. If he's scoring 50-60 goals again then a raise might be in order, but still not liking the idea of $12

That's where it could get really interesting. With Drouin playing like he is right now, it's not hard to picture Stamkos netting 50+ this year. At which point, it's a lot easier for him to stick to his demands. And Yzerman will have to figure out just how valuable pure goal-scoring is to us.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Also - despite some **** ups, I thought as a team we did a good job of neutralizing their forwards 5 on 5. Seguin was pretty invisible. Benn did his damage on the PP.

This isn't one of those "burn the tape" games. There were a good number of positives, and a ton to learn from the negatives.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
That's where it could get really interesting. With Drouin playing like he is right now, it's not hard to picture Stamkos netting 50+ this year. At which point, it's a lot easier for him to stick to his demands. And Yzerman will have to figure out just how valuable pure goal-scoring is to us.

Yeah it will be interesting to say the least. Stamkos is a pure goal scorer and Drouin will make the plays to get him the puck, but I don't think you could just replace Stamkos with Killorn or Paq or Names by putting them with Druoin and just get the same goal scoring as Stammer, i'd argue Kuch could but thats it. Stamkos is still very valuable to the team. He still takes away top defending units and attention from other players because he is still dangerous, he also provides goal scoring. He ALSO has some bone head plays every now and then.

I'm still on #KeepStamkos and want Yzerman to pay him but not $12. I don't think we can replace him, but thats just my 2 cents

Edit: The last few seasons when Stamkos gets on the board he really shows up and plays hard, when he doesn't he kind of just floats around and struggles.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011

Yup. If steven is smart, he keeps his stick on the ice and pots everything drouin passes to him, Drouin could be the one that seals the deal for him getting paid. The two are basically a younger Vinny and Marty. Not quite accomplished but younger. I just can't see one of the triplets being traded unless their play dips substantially, which hasn't been the case so far, so I'm not sure who gets the boot. Killorn? Carle for sure. Possibly garrison or coburn when the time is right. All of our d is replaceable except the swedes.

Killorn looks like he's on the outside but even then it's a stretch, the guy was golden in the playoffs. We certainly have guys that can be replaced for cheaper but it's a matter of taking a gamble on who.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah it will be interesting to say the least. Stamkos is a pure goal scorer and Drouin will make the plays to get him the puck, but I don't think you could just replace Stamkos with Killorn or Paq or Names by putting them with Druoin and just get the same goal scoring as Stammer, i'd argue Kuch could but thats it. Stamkos is still very valuable to the team. He still takes away top defending units and attention from other players because he is still dangerous, he also provides goal scoring. He ALSO has some bone head plays every now and then.

I'm still on #KeepStamkos and want Yzerman to pay him but not $12. I don't think we can replace him, but thats just my 2 cents

Edit: The last few seasons when Stamkos gets on the board he really shows up and plays hard, when he doesn't he kind of just floats around and struggles.

Yeah, but it's not Stamkos vs. Killer so much as it's Stamkos vs. Cap Space.

It's hard to say. Tonight was the first game of the year where Drouin seemed to know where Stamkos would be before anyone else on the ice. If we see that kind of thing continue, the decision will get really tough. To be honest, I'm not sure if you can pay anybody $12m and remain a contending team in today's NHL. Not without some mega sweetheart deals in your pocket (like Chicago, with Keith and Hossa). We're not likely to have that luxury.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Yeah, but it's not Stamkos vs. Killer so much as it's Stamkos vs. Cap Space.

It's hard to say. Tonight was the first game of the year where Drouin seemed to know where Stamkos would be before anyone else on the ice. If we see that kind of thing continue, the decision will get really tough. To be honest, I'm not sure if you can pay anybody $12m and remain a contending team in today's NHL. Not without some mega sweetheart deals in your pocket (like Chicago, with Keith and Hossa). We're not likely to have that luxury.

I think the only thing that could save us is koekkoek, DeAngelo and somebody else being really cheap when garrison, Coburn and or carle are gone

I know it's not a deal breaker with killorn on or off the team, but would anybody want the triplets traded or let go? I wouldnt. They are playoff performers and game winners. You don't let that go. If it comes down to the value of them 3 vs Stamkos, I'd take the 3. Plenty of teams win the cup without 40-50 goal scorers. I'd take 3 30/30 guys over one dimensional offensive juggernaut stamkos. That's just me though. The lack of stamkos then focuses solely on the triplets and leaves drouin without a goal scorer so there are pros and cons.

Here is what we should all be happy with...the fact that we get to watch them compete for our team and we aren't the guys making the decisions. Lol. Gladly leave that heartbreak to Stevie Y.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Drouin isn't going to be cheap either, I'd say skip the bridge deal with this kid and get him locked up as soon as possible, his value is only going to go up.

If Stamkos signs for +12m, there is no way Drouin is signing for less than half than in 2 years time.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
So I got stuck working tonight and I don't feel like reading through 22 pages to gauge how this game went. Can I get an abridged version?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
So I got stuck working tonight and I don't feel like reading through 22 pages to gauge how this game went. Can I get an abridged version?

It went badly. Horrible special teams, dirty hit by Nesterov who will likely get suspended, Hedman injured. Drouin looked great and Stamkos scored twice. 5-3 loss and the 5th goal was really bad by Bishop. Killed the comeback bid. There were some good bits but overall just a bad game.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
It went badly. Horrible special teams, dirty hit by Nesterov who will likely get suspended, Hedman injured. Drouin looked great and Stamkos scored twice. 5-3 loss and the 5th goal was really bad by Bishop. Killed the comeback bid. There were some good bits but overall just a bad game.

Heard TKO was bad. How were they?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Not trying to dismiss Stamkos too much but he put up 2 goals against AHL defense. He Always pots those goal against easy teams but when you are in the playoffs you 95% of the time face a really good team and that is why he was missing for half of the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
And Triplets didnt score vs this AHL defense. Not to diminish them or anything but still, they've been less than impressive.

They seemed to turn it on in the third. When we talk about over-confidence, I think they're the main culprit.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Typical Stamkos game, 3 points and a bunch of ill-advised decisions. The triplets need to get their names on the scoreboard now, Kucherov is having a really slow start particularly. Coburn was pretty good overall. Nesterov was slowly getting the trust of his coaching staff but he just destroyed all the momentum with that suspendable hit, Sustr says thank you. Koekkoek gets playing time hopefully.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We need those 2 points against Buffalo. Points will be a lot tougher to come by after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad