GDT: 10/15/15 - 7:30PM EDT - Dallas VS Tampa Bay

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We have dmen that have the ability, minus Carle and sutr, it's just that they don't always play that way.

Hedman being gone will only expose our defense even more, by that I mean, one dimensional.

Not skating and transitioning but a defenseman who can dictate play in the offensive zone, it's probably the biggest weakness from our defensive group, they make terrible decisions from the point.

Both Hedman and Stralman excel at getting the puck up. Garrison isn't bad.

Carle was supposed to be that guy when we signed him (oops), Coburn isn't that guy, and LOL Sustr.

Transition wise I think we have an elite group with the top-4, but inside the offensive zone none of them are great puck movers or passers, it shows on the PP.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
McKenzie is in the hospital for currently unknown reasons but he's said to be in excruciating pain. As a fan of both teams and both players I'm pretty upset about this. One of the worst possible outcomes for a hit like that. I like Nesterov a lot but he will rightfully be suspended for that. Let's all just hope that it was a one time thing and that McKenzie will make a full and quick recovery from whatever is wrong.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

They said that they'll know more tomorrow tough, one can hope it's nothing like that and maybe just a minor injury.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
To anybody that has played hockey, couple questions/observations...

1. How the hell does Drouin do what he does? I know growing up some kids were gold, some prospects are amazing but the guy is so shifty it's like he is wearing shoes. The foots peed and agility he has is probably one of a kind, bias aside, he is just that good of a skater and puck handler.

2. Does Brown remind anybody else of that really old guy at a drop in that has no hands, curls his back leg when he shoots and tries really hard to score yet never does? Then when he is on the ice for a goal, he high fives you? That's Brown. Lol.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

They said that they'll know more tomorrow tough, one can hope it's nothing like that and maybe just a minor injury.

I wouldn't be that mad if they gave him Saturdays game off just to be sure. Saturday is against Buffalo (shouldn't take them lightly) but better to be safe than sorry

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
McKenzie is in the hospital for currently unknown reasons but he's said to be in excruciating pain. As a fan of both teams and both players I'm pretty upset about this. One of the worst possible outcomes for a hit like that. I like Nesterov a lot but he will rightfully be suspended for that. Let's all just hope that it was a one time thing and that McKenzie will make a full and quick recovery from whatever is wrong.
his back looked messed up when he hit. I know my back hurt just looking at it. Hope he is alright.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Ouch, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

The hit was just bad all around, bad hit with a bad outcome that shouldn't have happen.

Let's just hope it's nothing serious with both him and Hedman and they will be back on the ice soon where they both belong.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
Not skating and transitioning but a defenseman who can dictate play in the offensive zone, it's probably the biggest weakness from our defensive group, they make terrible decisions from the point.

Transition wise I think we have an elite group with the top-4, but inside the offensive zone none of them are great puck movers or passers, it shows on the PP.
Exactly.

Doesn't even have to be an elite dman, just somebody that can move the puck. I wish we would've gambled on Boyle. He is still alright, better than Carle and Sustr and can definitely move the puck. I envy the Rangers having him AND yandle....and neither one is on their 1st pairing IIRC.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

It looked bad. Looked initially like he had the wind knocked out of him with the way he rolled over. But apparently that was from the pain, which makes you wonder about a broken bone.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

I get what he's saying I just hope next time we face each other that they will go out to try and hurt one of our players, two wrongs don't make it right.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
To anybody that has played hockey, couple questions/observations...

1. How the hell does Drouin do what he does? I know growing up some kids were gold, some prospects are amazing but the guy is so shifty it's like he is wearing shoes. The foots peed and agility he has is probably one of a kind, bias aside, he is just that good of a skater and puck handler.

2. Does Brown remind anybody else of that really old guy at a drop in that has no hands, curls his back leg when he shoots and tries really hard to score yet never does? Then when he is on the ice for a goal, he high fives you? That's Brown. Lol.

To #1, he dekes with his whole body. Sometimes it looks like all his limbs are going in different directions. Imagine a defender looking at that. We've seen a lot of guys with great hands, but I don't know if I've ever seen a guy LOOK like Jo looks when he makes a move. The closest thing I've seen is probably in highlights of Denis Savard.

But beyond that, the vision is exceptional. That drop pass to Stamkos? While looking for all the world like he had no idea Stammer was there?

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Seems like Hedman is either okay or doesn't have anything seriously wrong so that's the positive that I'm going to take from this overall terrible game. Also I'm going to be in Dallas for the next Stars-Bolts game in March so I am hoping for a much better everything :puppy:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Blow it up.

tumblr_no935zJhF71rbf5cro1_500.gif

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
To #1, he dekes with his whole body. Sometimes it looks like all his limbs are going in different directions. Imagine a defender looking at that. We've seen a lot of guys with great hands, but I don't know if I've ever seen a guy LOOK like Jo looks when he makes a move. The closest thing I've seen is probably in highlights of Denis Savard.

But beyond that, the vision is exceptional. That drop pass to Stamkos? While looking for all the world like he had no idea Stammer was there?
Yes but he is so damn fast. Most guys get stripped or can't sell it, he sells it so well and pulls it off on veteran players like crazy. Palat has hands like he is chopping watermelons while kucherov is slick and smooth but drouin is that caliber at his age that is one of a kind.

I've tried picturing how it'd look but I cant, cause I've never seen it. Guy is money.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I know I said it earlier but it’s worth mentioning again, that the minute or so Callahan and Paquette spent on the PK was the best our PK has looked this season, they were both just amazing and did everything right from blocking shots to playing aggressive and in-your-face kinda hockey that didn’t give the DAL players any room to do anything at all, Paquette also had a bit of a breakaway to cap their time out there off, my point is I wouldn’t mind seeing those two out there more, at least until the rest of the guys learn how to play PK again…since they were really good at it last season.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stamkos line is really coming together. 6 goals now in the last 5 games, Drouin, Stamkos, and Callahan leading all forwards in points. Just need TKO to get going.

Bishop was not good tonight and losing two D does not exactly help the situation when Bish is having an off night. We had a chance yet again to come back only to fall short again.

Specials teams are a disaster now. I am expecting changes to both PP units and the entire PK.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
PK is whats costing us right now. 5 on 5 we're doing fine. TKO still needs to step up a bit, but looked better tonight at times. 27-92-24 is gold. Bishop didn't have a great game tonight, needs a bit of a rest.

Gotta do something about the PK and PP, but mostly the PK. Last year our PK was decent, this year its just not working.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
God that gif never gets old.

We had some pretty bad luck tonight. Nesterov will probably get a suspension. Can't be doing that. Hope Hedman is ok. On the plus side, Stamkos showed up.

Tonight was like a greatest hits collection of what's so good and so bad about Stamkos rolled into one game. 2 big goals, countless brain dead moments. One brain dead moment actually led to the Namestnikov goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad