Would like to see some of this.

93YI.gif

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Stamkos be like

ERROR 404

Please input command function " blindbluelinepass" to continue
You know, I really think the reason we don't see things like that from him anymore is because of Cooper. I think he's told to play a more defensive game and to "follow the system". I think thats why he's been so out of it the last few seasons. I understand there are injuries to take into account but I know he can still do things like this. I specifically remember two times during game 7 vs the caps where he just took the puck up the middle by himself and split the D and almost scored. The only reason he did that was because the entire team just seemed out of it and beat, so it looked like he decided to go against the system and do it himself.

Sorry about the short story lol, its just something that really stuck with me after that game. He CAN be that player again, i'm just not sure he's being allowed to. Might explain why him and everyone else seems so down in the dumps.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
You know, I really think the reason we don't see things like that from him anymore is because of Cooper. I think he's told to play a more defensive game and to "follow the system". I think thats why he's been so out of it the last few seasons. I understand there are injuries to take into account but I know he can still do things like this. I specifically remember two times during game 7 vs the caps where he just took the puck up the middle by himself and split the D and almost scored. The only reason he did that was because the entire team just seemed out of it and beat, so it looked like he decided to go against the system and do it himself.

Sorry about the short story lol, its just something that really stuck with me after that game. He CAN be that player again, i'm just not sure he's being allowed to. Might explain why him and everyone else seems so down in the dumps.
You know Cooper was the coach of the team during that clip right

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think there's significant evidence that both his skating and his shot have declined. He used to be a 18+% shooter, consistently. Now he's lucky to crack 15, and doesn't get off nearly as many shots.

While I don't think Cooper's possession-at-all-costs system helps Stamkos any, the biggest reason for what we're seeing is his two biggest weapons--his skating and his shooting--have been dulled, probably by the broken leg alone, let alone the rest of his injuries.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Killorn and Stamkos played well together that night. We should try and recapture that magic today

Killorn and Stamkos always play well together for like 2 games. It's the weirdest short-term chemistry.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
I think there's significant evidence that both his skating and his shot have declined. He used to be a 18+% shooter, consistently. Now he's lucky to crack 15, and doesn't get off nearly as many shots.

While I don't think Cooper's possession-at-all-costs system helps Stamkos any, the biggest reason for what we're seeing is his two biggest weapons--his skating and his shooting--have been dulled, probably by the broken leg alone, let alone the rest of his injuries.
People always correlate the start of the decline with his leg break, but it also correlates with the captaincy. He is trying to be something he is not. Maybe he thinks being a shoot first shoot often guy is being selfish.

Reactions: Master P

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
People always correlate the start of the decline with his leg break, but it also correlates with the captaincy. He is trying to be something he is not. Maybe he thinks being a shoot first shoot often guy is being selfish.
I've been saying that for years. I think he feels that he needs to be an an all around player rather then a pure sniper. I understand that he wants to set the example but he needs to be a selfish trigger guy, thats who he is.

Reactions: DaBolts

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
So is this going to be a happy 12 pack game or pissed off switch to whisky in the 3rd period game again?

Cooper better fix this, that's all I've got to say.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We correlate it with the broken leg because of what we see on the ice. It's not only a decision-based problem. It's also that his skillset just isn't the same anymore, which likely leads to a lot of the questionable decisions. It's like, once in a while we see him pull off an amazing shot and we think, "Stamkos still has that in him!" But really, he doesn't. What made him special was how often he could blaze by somebody and rip a shot at the net. He doesn't blaze by people often at all now, and he doesn't have that catch-you-by-surprise release anymore.

But does anybody remember that one time Ryan Callahan streaked down the wing and ripped a shot past (I think) Carey Price? It was an amazing play. But there's a difference between doing it once and doing it with consistency. We still get flashes of "the old Stamkos," but I've lost hope that he still possesses the ability to bring them out on a consistent basis. It's just too easy to say "he doesn't want to" or "he's not trying hard enough" or whatever. In reality, he probably just can't. And that's sad, but it's not his fault. It just is what it is.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
We correlate it with the broken leg because of what we see on the ice. It's not only a decision-based problem. It's also that his skillset just isn't the same anymore, which likely leads to a lot of the questionable decisions. It's like, once in a while we see him pull off an amazing shot and we think, "Stamkos still has that in him!" But really, he doesn't. What made him special was how often he could blaze by somebody and rip a shot at the net. He doesn't blaze by people often at all now, and he doesn't have that catch-you-by-surprise release anymore.

But does anybody remember that one time Ryan Callahan streaked down the wing and ripped a shot past (I think) Carey Price? It was an amazing play. But there's a difference between doing it once and doing it with consistency. We still get flashes of "the old Stamkos," but I've lost hope that he still possesses the ability to bring them out on a consistent basis. It's just too easy to say "he doesn't want to" or "he's not trying hard enough" or whatever. In reality, he probably just can't. And that's sad, but it's not his fault. It just is what it is.
I respect your opinion and all but did you compare ryan callahan to steven stamkos? o_O

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I respect your opinion and all but did you compare ryan callahan to steven stamkos? o_O

No. I'm saying that Stamkos occasionally pulling off a nice play isn't evidence that he's ever going to get back to the old Stamkos. Because anybody can pull off a nice play once in a while.

He's lost speed. He's gone from having arguably the best release in the league to "one of the better" releases in the league. And those were his two biggest weapons. He was never a great puck handler, never the most creative. He and Ovy were the best north-south shooters in the game, and his two biggest weapons aren't what they used to be.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

I didn’t say the leg break had no effect, clearly it did. But I would also say the weight of the captaincy added to it by changing his style or shoot first approach. I would throw in one more factor, as crazy as it sounds for a Rocket winner, there seems to be a loss of confidence.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
No. I'm saying that Stamkos occasionally pulling off a nice play isn't evidence that he's ever going to get back to the old Stamkos. Because anybody can pull off a nice play once in a while.

He's lost speed. He's gone from having arguably the best release in the league to "one of the better" releases in the league. And those were his two biggest weapons. He was never a great puck handler, never the most creative. He and Ovy were the best north-south shooters in the game, and his two biggest weapons aren't what they used to be.
Thats fair, I just wish he would actually use his wrist shot more. I hardly ever seen him use it. It might not be what it used to be but its still pretty damn good. At the very least it makes the goalie make a save and maybe creates a rebound.

I felt like looking at some old highlights and seeing if anything stood out. The biggest thing to me is that he used to be so wide open. I also think that some of are older teams were much better at getting shots through the point. Stamkos used to get quite a good amount of goals from re-directs and rebounds.

It also hurts not having St. Louis to set you up lol. I think Hedman does an ok job but Marty's passes were in the PERFECT spot everytime and they got there with a purpose. Sometimes I watch hedman pass it and its like he's trying not to break the puck :laugh:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad