Pre-Game Talk: 10/12 visitor Detroit Red Wings 7:30 start time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Resch and maybe a few eccentric NHL guys in radio (Phil Esposito in Tampa) and in local TV too are really a dying breed or endangered species in sports broadcasting. Earthy, unscripted, not white bread, not homogenized, genuinely folksy, relatively honest even when criticizing their own team: Hockey is the last bastion of these old timers, mostly Canadian. In network sports except for Hockey these days it’s much more PC.
I'm not saying it in a good or bad context, just admit that Daneyko is much more careful with what he is saying then many players if his time.

Coke Zero :laugh:
Stop it. Just stop it. You are better then his.

Camille the Eel

I'm not saying it in a good or bad context, just admit that Daneyko is much more careful with what he is saying then many players if his time.

Stop it. Just stop it. You are better then his.
Yes as to Deneyko except I think his reticence may be as much due to a temperamental reluctance to be critical of players in general. Even when he’s a neutral commentator on NHL network or wherever he does commentary, he hedges any mild criticism with a huge amount of qualification and treads very lightly. In other words, he’s not only gentle with the Devils.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
The rise of NJ seemingly caught a lot of posters off guard last season. There were a couple of threads on the main board about NJ being a mirage early in the season. It reminds the fans of the better teams that no team is entitled to be good by some sort of decree and a team can rise up.

I expect Buffalo or Ottawa to be this year’s rising team. I’m skeptical it’s Detroit though. They have some good pieces but don’t have the game breakers to score easily the way a team like Toronto or NJ or Dallas can create offense from nothing. Teams that have to work at it can be successful - Carolina maybe the best example - but they need total buy in and a belief they can actually win. Over a long season with fatigue and injuries it’s hard to sustain that. But early on they will play with effort and have a chance - like PHI in the opener last season.

I’m sure Detroit will come out of the gate with high energy and NJ will need to match that. Last season it took Nj several games to adjust from the preseason. Hopefully they show up ready to go this week.

I think Bratt has another level in him and freed from the stress of contract negotiations will be even better than the last couple of seasons. I’m guessing he opens the scoring for NJ this season.
As far as Bratt goes 40 goals is a possibility. It was only preseason but, he was the trigger man not passing away shooting opportunities. Pluse he can dangle and undress a goalie in a phone booth if they still existed.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Resch and maybe a few eccentric NHL guys in radio (Phil Esposito in Tampa) and in local TV too are really a dying breed or endangered species in sports broadcasting. Earthy, unscripted, not white bread, not homogenized, genuinely folksy, relatively honest even when criticizing their own team: Hockey is the last bastion of these old timers, mostly Canadian. In network sports except for Hockey these days it’s much more PC.
Love to listen to Espo. Even tolerate Dave Michkin. Espo is like getting to watch hockey with your Dad/grandfather/uncle that really knows his shit. I spend most of my time driving listening to NHL games on satellite radio more than I watch them sampling all 32 teams. Chico is an absolute treasure like Espo. Love these guys!

Camille the Eel

Love to listen to Espo. Even tolerate Dave Michkin. Espo is like getting to watch hockey with your Dad/grandfather/uncle that really knows his shit. I spend most of my time driving listening to NHL games on satellite radio more than I watch them sampling all 32 teams. Chico is an absolute treasure like Espo. Love these guys!
Espo, when a goal is scored against Tampa and he’s been speaking in real time as the play is called, will occasionally just groan out loud or emit a long loud sigh, he goes on for for like 5 seconds . . . and then they break down the goal against. I’ve never heard another crew do that. It’s hilarious and great listening.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Kind of curious why Amanda has the Hischier line listed 1st over the Hughes line?
she did that almost all year last year, IIRC

Espo, when a goal is scored against Tampa and he’s been speaking in real time as the play is called, will occasionally just groan out loud or emit a long loud sigh, he goes on for for like 5 seconds . . . and then they break down the goal against. I’ve never heard another crew do that. It’s hilarious and great listening.
Mickey Redmond does that a lot on Detroit broadcasts.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Because she can't bear to admit the truth to the world.
i do wonder whether that’s some sort of management thing? Like “Nico’s the captain, yes we know Hughes is an unrivaled superstar who does things no one else can, but no one’s bigger than the team blah blah blah.” Cuz like you said, no one’s getting fooled. We know nobody’s preparing for the Hischier line as the main threat.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I think you could argue Nico’s line is number 1 by merit.

It’s a big scoring line that you can deploy in all situations at all times. Hughes’ line is an even bigger scoring line but you’re likely going to try and avoid using it for defensive zone draws late in a game.

Both lines should be extremely effective so it’s really splitting hairs to say one or the other should be on top.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It’s amazing how far the team has developed in the last two seasons. Clearly the “it’s the bad goaltending” crowd was largely correct about the poor finish two seasons ago that led to Nemec being drafted. Of course last season they achieved tremendously and despite falling flat against the Canes the game 7 win over the Rangers made it all worthwhile. Now there are enough expectations you can actually have a pre-game thread. How times have changed and for the better.
I still maintain that wasn't the only issue. The defense was god awful and I don't think the team was generating as many great scoring chances as they do now. When you've got a washed up version of PK Subban and a young midget who can't defend like Ty Smith playing prominent roles because Dougie Hamilton was out for a huge part of the season...along with a bunch of young forwards still developing...you're gonna be leaving the goalie out to dry badly.

Last night I went back and watched extended highlights from several games that year and I didn't see anything that would make me change my perception of that squad. Opponents weren't getting a ton of shots against, but the amount of time and space they were getting on their few chances and how often the defense would get caught flat footed due to egrigious irresponsible play in the d and neutral zones was absurd.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I still maintain that wasn't the only issue. The defense was god awful and I don't think the team was generating as many great scoring chances as they do now. When you've got a washed up version of PK Subban and a young midget who can't defend like Ty Smith playing prominent roles because Dougie Hamilton was out for a huge part of the season...along with a bunch of young forwards still developing...you're gonna be leaving the goalie out to dry badly.

Last night I went back and watched extended highlights from several games that year and I didn't see anything that would make me change my perception of that squad. Opponents weren't getting a ton of shots against, but the amount of time and space they were getting on their few chances and how often the defense would get caught flat footed due to egrigious irresponsible play in the d and neutral zones was absurd.

I agree it was multifaceted. Goaltending alone does not account for the top three finish but it probably was the difference between a wild card berth and drafting Nemec. Better team defense and some maturation by the young players was definitely needed. But the core was in place and just needed to be pushed in the right direction.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It’s amazing how far the team has developed in the last two seasons. Clearly the “it’s the bad goaltending” crowd was largely correct about the poor finish two seasons ago that led to Nemec being drafted. Of course last season they achieved tremendously and despite falling flat against the Canes the game 7 win over the Rangers made it all worthwhile. Now there are enough expectations you can actually have a pre-game thread. How times have changed and for the better.
Wait, wut? Says the addition of Marino and Graves and the emergence of former #7 Dman
Siegenthaler... and maybe healthy Hamilton helped a bit? That's only like... 2/3 of your defense.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Wait, wut? Says the addition of Marino and Graves and the emergence of former #7 Dman
Siegenthaler... and maybe healthy Hamilton helped a bit? That's only like... 2/3 of your defense.

Read my last post. I was taking about the last bad season. Hamilton was here for that as was Siegs.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I agree it was multifaceted. Goaltending alone does not account for the top three finish but it probably was the difference between a wild card berth and drafting Nemec. Better team defense and some maturation by the young players was definitely needed. But the core was in place and just needed to be pushed in the right direction.
So.... It might be interesting to watch this year to see if we have 'goaltending issues' again .. since we will be breaking in a full time Bahl and Luke, we will see more of Brendan Smith and now Miller and possibly Nemec.

Also, I think part of Marino's maturation was Graves and his stability.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
So.... It might be interesting to watch this year to see if we have 'goaltending issues' again .. since we will be breaking in a full time Bahl and Luke, we will see more of Brendan Smith and now Miller and possibly Nemec.

Also, I think part of Marino's maturation was Graves and his stability.

Sure. Both can torpedo a season. Both can be true. Your posts on this come across aggressively. I’m not disagreeing with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille