Pre-Game Talk: 10/12 visitor Detroit Red Wings 7:30 start time

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Here it is: Opening Season game for the New Jersey Devils.

I am excited for the Devils as they match into the playoffs, 3rd round.

Let's Go Devils

It’s amazing how far the team has developed in the last two seasons. Clearly the “it’s the bad goaltending” crowd was largely correct about the poor finish two seasons ago that led to Nemec being drafted. Of course last season they achieved tremendously and despite falling flat against the Canes the game 7 win over the Rangers made it all worthwhile. Now there are enough expectations you can actually have a pre-game thread. How times have changed and for the better.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
It’s amazing how far the team has developed in the last two seasons. Clearly the “it’s the bad goaltending” crowd was largely correct about the poor finish two seasons ago that led to Nemec being drafted. Of course last season they achieved tremendously and despite falling flat against the Canes the game 7 win over the Rangers made it all worthwhile. Now there are enough expectations you can actually have a pre-game thread. How times have changed and for the better.
So true. A lot of credit has to go to the GM Fitz and credit to the players and coaches as well. There is a lot of excitement associated with the NJ Devils today.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
So true. A lot of credit has to go to the GM Fitz and credit to the players and coaches as well. There is a lot of excitement associated with the NJ Devils today.

The rise of NJ seemingly caught a lot of posters off guard last season. There were a couple of threads on the main board about NJ being a mirage early in the season. It reminds the fans of the better teams that no team is entitled to be good by some sort of decree and a team can rise up.

I expect Buffalo or Ottawa to be this year’s rising team. I’m skeptical it’s Detroit though. They have some good pieces but don’t have the game breakers to score easily the way a team like Toronto or NJ or Dallas can create offense from nothing. Teams that have to work at it can be successful - Carolina maybe the best example - but they need total buy in and a belief they can actually win. Over a long season with fatigue and injuries it’s hard to sustain that. But early on they will play with effort and have a chance - like PHI in the opener last season.

I’m sure Detroit will come out of the gate with high energy and NJ will need to match that. Last season it took Nj several games to adjust from the preseason. Hopefully they show up ready to go this week.

I think Bratt has another level in him and freed from the stress of contract negotiations will be even better than the last couple of seasons. I’m guessing he opens the scoring for NJ this season.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Devils will be the hunted this year as opposed to the hunter, especially for the first month, interested to see how they embrace that role with every team knowing their team identity this year.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Meh, teams stopped being surprised by us by the end of November last year.

Probably earlier than that.

The players are all friends with each other. They talk and would say how difficult it was playing vs them.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Meh, teams stopped being surprised by us by the end of November last year.

Yeah, I mean some of those teams like the Oilers and Flames though played their entire season series by then. I'm sure the Oilers will be ready from puck drop this time around. Also, the Devils gotta learn how to play with expectations now too.

Reactions: My3Sons

Camille the Eel

Yes they will!
Resch and maybe a few eccentric NHL guys in radio (Phil Esposito in Tampa) and in local TV too are really a dying breed or endangered species in sports broadcasting. Earthy, unscripted, not white bread, not homogenized, genuinely folksy, relatively honest even when criticizing their own team: Hockey is the last bastion of these old timers, mostly Canadian. In network sports except for Hockey these days it’s much more PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad