Pre-Game Talk: 10/10 Game 2 - Montréal at Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
A little OT but I'm going to breakfast with my mom and sister but when I get back, I'll make the GDT for tonight and throw one together for Monday too.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'm in a win-win situation this one. I'm fully hedged.

I bet the habs to win, so if they do I'm getting paid. If our boys win I go to bed emotionally satisfied. Free roll!

BigBadBruins63*

I'm most likely going to miss this

That might be for the better

Is C Miller in today?

You'd think he would be but.....Clode.

Why play a young defenseman who looked great in the preseason, and most definitely dying to get in the lineup, over two stiffs in Trotman and Irwin?

Oh i said it already. Clode

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Have the feeling that the defense will take a beat against a fast team like MTL. Unless MTL find a way to beat themselves, we will be down by 2 goals, if not more, by the end of the 1st. 3 tough matchup to start the year with an AHL caliber defense = bad result.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm going to guess that they come out and shock everyone by beating the scabs easily tonight. I honestly don't feel confident against that team, but this team with it being so young, they have the ability to be bipolar on random nights. Since everyone reasonably expects MTL to tattoo the B's, I think they'll play over their heads and win.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
the sad thing is that I don't expect them to have too many problems with effort this year. They seemed to give a 60 minute effort last night, but the problem was just that they sucked.

That Irwin giveaway "sucked" the life right out of them. It was like watching a hot air balloon fall to the ground. A more experienced, confident and cohesive group would not have let that dictate the rest of the game as the Jets pushed back. But this group is not there yet.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I wouldn't be shocked if we got shutout tonight. The Habs designed their system around beating us, and CJ has not adjusted anything in the offensive zone.

I'm not sure that's entirely true. Remains to be seen against the Habs. But I saw a lot less of the endless cycling along the boards, D to D, point shot, rinse/repeat the other night...and a bit more darting in and out of open slots, behind the net feeds, crashing the net, funneling pucks to dangerous areas.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I'm not sure that's entirely true. Remains to be seen against the Habs. But I saw a lot less of the endless cycling along the boards, D to D, point shot, rinse/repeat the other night...and a bit more darting in and out of open slots, behind the net feeds, crashing the net, funneling pucks to dangerous areas.

Absolutely. The D to D and endless cycle seems limited to the offensively challenged players, unlike the past where it was every player. I did like the offensive creativity last game. Everything defensively, not so much.

I wonder if Claude will use C Miller. He is quick and offensive, but certainly lacks in his own end. The Habs actually have a bigger team than us I believe, and we recently were outmatched by the Jets. Going smaller could either help or hurt our chances. Poor Claude.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick

I hope you are right, but I didn't detect any real changes to the system up front. I did see some cheating by forwards, but it didn't feel like a change as much as a mistake. If they skate lanes and carry the puck along the wall, they have a good chance of opening up some holes in the Montreal D.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I hope you are right, but I didn't detect any real changes to the system up front. I did see some cheating by forwards, but it didn't feel like a change as much as a mistake. If they skate lanes and carry the puck along the wall, they have a good chance of opening up some holes in the Montreal D.

I definitely saw a lot more creativity in the offensive zone. Players were given the freedom to be comfortable rather than rigidly structured. They should have score at least 3 or 4 that first period. Kelly botched another open net and there were a few other prime scoring chances.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I wouldn't be shocked if we got shutout tonight. The Habs designed their system around beating us, and CJ has not adjusted anything in the offensive zone.

Seriously?

Wouldn't it be a little smarter to design a system that could beat teams they have trouble beating? Or even better, a system that will give them the best chance of winning all the time?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Though a couple of D to D passes could have prevented the first 2 Jets' goals.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Though a couple of D to D passes could have prevented the first 2 Jets' goals.

Clarification: I mean the D to D in the offensive zone, where after cycling the puck along the boards from one side to the other, you get that long D to D pass back to the original starting point, resulting in a weak wrist shot from the point.

Yes, the defensive D to D is *sometimes* useful, as you stated in those 2 particular cases. Of course, you can't coach every single aspect of the game. It's up to the player to evaluate what's required, withing the general structure of the system. You need cerebral players back there.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Clarification: I mean the D to D in the offensive zone, where after cycling the puck along the boards from one side to the other, you get that long D to D pass back to the original starting point, resulting in a weak wrist shot from the point.

Yes, the defensive D to D is *sometimes* useful, as you stated in those 2 particular cases. Of course, you can't coach every single aspect of the game. It's up to the player to evaluate what's required, withing the general structure of the system. You need cerebral players back there.

Agree on all points.

I believe Krejci tried one of those D to D passes in the offensive zone on the PP, leading to a Winnipeg breakaway.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
So practice is starting now.. I will post the lines I think will be in tonight in the gdt and will update once the lines are tweeted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad